View Poll Results: What impact will the sun's deep minima have on the future climate?
Climate getting progressively cooler through next solar cycles 287 43.09%
No impact 145 21.77%
Global warming is here to stay 128 19.22%
Calm before the solar storm of 2012-2013 106 15.92%
Voters: 666. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
27-11-2020, 11:35   #916
SeaBreezes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,456
For anyone interested..


https://twitter.com/halocme/status/1...038515713?s=19
SeaBreezes is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-12-2020, 08:16   #917
Supercell
Happy :)
 
Supercell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 13,352
Interesting new research suggests the next solar sunspot cycle may be a maximum not a minimum - https://phys.org/news/2020-12-sunspot-strongest.html

Quote:
In direct contradiction to the official forecast, a team of scientists led by the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) is predicting that the Sunspot Cycle that started this fall could be one of the strongest since record-keeping began.
Quite an good read, time will tell how accurate their prediction is.
Supercell is offline  
08-12-2020, 08:24   #918
Mad_Lad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 19,504
As an Amateur radio Operator I can see the effects of the recent Sun Spots, propagation is definitely up on the higher bands above 14 Mhz.

More Sun activity is definitely good news.
Mad_Lad is offline  
(2) thanks from:
08-12-2020, 13:39   #919
Dubh Geannain
Registered User
 
Dubh Geannain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,298
CME and dense solar wind incoming and due to hit around the same time tomorrow.

Dubh Geannain is offline  
(5) thanks from:
07-01-2021, 08:46   #920
dolanbaker
Moderator
 
dolanbaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 24,259
The method that spaceweather use to measure spotless days is laughable right now, we're already exceeding last year's levels.

Quote:
Sunspot number: 0
What is the sunspot number?
Updated 07 Jan 2021

Spotless Days
Current Stretch: 4 days
2021 total: 4 days (57%)
2020 total: 208 days (57%)
2019 total: 281 days (77%)
2018 total: 221 days (61%)
2017 total: 104 days (28%)
2016 total: 32 days (9%)
2015 total: 0 days (0%)
dolanbaker is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-02-2021, 15:05   #921
bazlers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 452
Looking into next years winter ( bit stupid with this winter not past yet) but i wonder could there be a delay in the effects of low solar activity. Sun spots still actually quiet low.
If this was combined with a VEI 6 volcanic explosion in Iceland namely Katla, timed at the right time to effect winter. What major effects to Winter could we expect anyone? Fantasy stuff here but strange times as they are anything goes.
bazlers is offline  
14-02-2021, 20:43   #922
nacho libre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 14,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazlers View Post
Looking into next years winter ( bit stupid with this winter not past yet) but i wonder could there be a delay in the effects of low solar activity. Sun spots still actually quiet low.
If this was combined with a VEI 6 volcanic explosion in Iceland namely Katla, timed at the right time to effect winter. What major effects to Winter could we expect anyone? Fantasy stuff here but strange times as they are anything goes.
Hoefully a repeat of the winter of 1947! But seriously, i always thought the eruption of the Volcano in Iceland during 2010 had an impact on our winter that year.
nacho libre is offline  
18-02-2021, 01:06   #923
Banana Republic 1
Registered User
 
Banana Republic 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 972
What a load of horse manure no correction this thread is just pure unrecyable plastic waste, Spoof strung out into fourteen paragraphs is still spoof.

The Earth will be consumed by the Sun long before it dies which will be around the same time the Andromeda galaxy merges with the Milkyway.
Banana Republic 1 is offline  
18-02-2021, 02:29   #924
Nabber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Republic 1 View Post
What a load of horse manure no correction this thread is just pure unrecyable plastic waste, Spoof strung out into fourteen paragraphs is still spoof.

The Earth will be consumed by the Sun long before it dies which will be around the same time the Andromeda galaxy merges with the Milkyway.
Is there context to this or deleted post before it?
Nabber is offline  
Advertisement
18-02-2021, 10:51   #925
Banana Republic 1
Registered User
 
Banana Republic 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabber View Post
Is there context to this or deleted post before it?
Classic attempt at misdirection there Nabber whatever deleted post your on about has nothing todo with me.
Banana Republic 1 is offline  
18-02-2021, 11:56   #926
Gaoth Laidir
Registered User
 
Gaoth Laidir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 6,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Republic 1 View Post
Classic attempt at misdirection there Nabber whatever deleted post your on about has nothing todo with me.
I think he was referring to the below incoherent rambling that seems to be unlinked to any post on this page. I also can't make head nor tail of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Republic 1 View Post
What a load of horse manure no correction this thread is just pure unrecyable plastic waste, Spoof strung out into fourteen paragraphs is still spoof.

The Earth will be consumed by the Sun long before it dies which will be around the same time the Andromeda galaxy merges with the Milkyway.
Gaoth Laidir is offline  
(5) thanks from:
18-02-2021, 14:01   #927
Banana Republic 1
Registered User
 
Banana Republic 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaoth Laidir View Post
I think he was referring to the below incoherent rambling that seems to be unlinked to any post on this page. I also can't make head nor tail of it.
It’s relevant to the thread.
Banana Republic 1 is offline  
18-02-2021, 14:34   #928
pistolpetes11
Moderator
 
pistolpetes11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Republic 1 View Post
What a load of horse manure no correction this thread is just pure unrecyable plastic waste, Spoof strung out into fourteen paragraphs is still spoof.

The Earth will be consumed by the Sun long before it dies which will be around the same time the Andromeda galaxy merges with the Milkyway.
MOD NOTE :

DONT POST IN THIS THREAD AGAIN PLEASE
pistolpetes11 is offline  
18-02-2021, 17:56   #929
Mad_Lad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 19,504
So anyway, what's the latest with the sunspots is the sun waking up or is it still asleep with this new cycle ?
Mad_Lad is offline  
18-02-2021, 18:35   #930
dolanbaker
Moderator
 
dolanbaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 24,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Lad View Post
So anyway, what's the latest with the sunspots is the sun waking up or is it still asleep with this new cycle ?
There was a splurge of sunspots in the last quarter of last year, which brought down the yearly count from 70% to about 60% spotless, but since the start of the year it has gone quiet again (Earth side facing).
dolanbaker is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet