Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bumper Accomodation Thread *Put ALL Accomodation queries here*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

i went to nuig open day and a single room in corrib village is only 4050 for d year .. why is there such a difference .. im going to ucc open day morro so ill get much more info den ... tanx for dat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 slayerdiabolus

Mallox wrote: »
    i went to nuig open day and a single room in corrib village is only 4050 for d year .. why is there such a difference .. im going to ucc open day morro so ill get much more info den ... tanx for dat

Ha, because its Corrib Village? Did you go in there by any chance? :rolleyes: Its like a run down, prison/dump

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Ha, because its Corrib Village? Did you go in there by any chance? :rolleyes: Its like a run down, prison/dump

But think of the epic parties! That's basically why I'm not allowed even go to Glway next year! Although considering half the people there are from Ennis I'm not too pushed really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

well i never went to corrib village itself so ya i guess it could be a tip ... wats the on campus accomodation like then ... which is better .. wat would ppl recommend for 1st years???

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

jeez its that time of year again to start thinking about accomm for next year!

ok so just to help ye out who dont no cork:

* The village - its fairly far out from UCC, a good 15-20min walk depending on how long u have to wait at the two traffic lights on the way. its also one of the older ones but it seems to be party central. a friend of mine had some trouble with the management but they caved after awhile and it got sorted so all good.

* farranlea hall - i lived there for two years and i never wanna go back there again. got stuck their the second year because everywhere else got booked up and i couldnt afford deposit at the time and farranlea was all that was left. to be honest there is nothing wrong with the apts really..the odd window that wont close or heater that wont work. the sofas are extremely uncomfortable!!!!! there was never any trouble with security or anything for parties unless it got way out of hand like. i have to say i did not get on with the management at all. the head one was a complete bitch. and you dont get feck all back out of your security deposit. oh and room/bathroom sizes can differ extremely and all fairly small. about 12-13 mins from college going by either orchard or western rd.

* victoria station - avoid at all costs. a run down house is better.

* victoria lodge - supposedly it has become party central this year and theres been no problem with security and the like which is great. have never heard complaints from anyone. the sofas are more comforable than farranlea! majority of first years. about 12-13 mins from college going by either orchard or western rd.

* university hall - great place but have very very very few places there every year and more likely to go to someone on the waiting list.

* victoria mills - my current home! LOVE IT! leather sofas are class (after farranlea its like heaven), balconies if u smoke, large rooms&bathrooms, plenty of storage, cable internet as nearly everywhere but it is fairly slow and unreliable during day/eve when everyone is online! from my experience and friends, no problems with management and they seem to be good at picking people to live together cause all my flatmates are getting on great. oh dishwasher is heaven. 10 wlk to UCC if your taking it easy! oh and right beside centra and dimarios take away and wylam chinese and AIB!

* castlewhite - 2mins from ucc. fairly basic. fast internet though. the only place with no ensuites.

* deans hall - fairly basic again. maybe 5 mins ish from ucc. closet to town, another 5mins or so. wireless internet. not every room ensuite. sercurity are a bitch there.

*the spires - about 5 mins from ucc. near lennoxs. friends that have lived there havent said anything bad about it but then again they havent gone back. and there seems to be a lot of visiting students staying there from things they said. thats all i know about the spires havent really been there much. oh its owned by the same people as farranlea so watch out i would say.

if anyones got any question sure ask it and if i can answer i will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

You seem to have quite the liking for sofa's! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

you live in farranlea for two years and then talk to me about sofas.

also consider the amount of times you come home polluted and end up sleeping on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

lol Celtise is right about the sofas in Farranlea - they're awful!

Apart from that, Farranlea is pretty nice. I'd recommend it to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I'd certainly avoid Deanshall, the accommodation itself is grand (apart from a pretty spartan aesthetic and the dreaded uncomfy couches), but the management are a bunch of kunts, not to put too fine a point on it. The apartment checks are ridiculously nit picky, you're more or less expected to have the place cleaned to a professional standard (we once failed the ENTIRE inspection because we'd forgotten to clean the inside of the microwave). And yes, it is €6 to do a wash and a dry. Also there's no dishwasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

farranlea hall - i lived there for two years and i never wanna go back there again. got stuck their the second year because everywhere else got booked up and i couldnt afford deposit at the time and farranlea was all that was left. to be honest there is nothing wrong with the apts really..the odd window that wont close or heater that wont work. the sofas are extremely uncomfortable!!!!! there was never any trouble with security or anything for parties unless it got way out of hand like. i have to say i did not get on with the management at all. the head one was a complete bitch. and you dont get feck all back out of your security deposit. oh and room/bathroom sizes can differ extremely and all fairly small. about 12-13 mins from college going by either orchard or western rd.

Agreed! My God there are no words to describe them! Its actually a cool place to live and there's plenty of fun to be had, but the management alone would make you think twice. Expect zero deposit back (even if your apartment is spotless minus the couple of 'blemishes' that naturally would occur over the year), unexpected fines and charges that make no sense. Basically I think a certain person there likes being they way they are! So much unnecessary negativity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

Brookfield apartments : Jennings(3star) pool is ok,
    Brookfield (2star) its a dump! The whole apartment was really really damp, carpets were disgustingly dirty! Cracks all along the side of the front door so insects came in daily!! Smell of sewerage as soon as you turn on the hot shower! Oh and the bins were rarely emptied!! The smell wafted everywhere!
    Over all, they could really do with a shaping up!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 launemeter

Hey guys,

need some help. also just about looking for a nice stay.
    Anyone able to give me some infos about south mall court or abbey wharf?
    Would you recommend me to live in farranlea hall. After all I've read I'm not sure if it's really advisable to go there.

South mall looks like a nice place. What you think?

Would be great if I'd get some quick answers as I'm already a bit late applying for an apartement:) But as I stay for the whole academic year I wanne find a good one and not a piece of ....

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭funki_munkee

Id recommend farranlea hall. Stayed there last year and found it good. Lot of Space nice rooms with ensuites etc. Didnt find the management too bad, they seemed grand anytime I had to go into the reception about anything. Mind you didnt have any really important run ins with them so?? Also its a popular place with students and I found that alot of people from my course were staying there too which is always a plus. All the student accomodation is kinda located within the same area on the far side of the college. However south mall and abbey wharf are in the town. This might mean there is less of an atmosphere but youll be nearer to pubs and clubs. Dont know much about those two places to be honest but hope it shed some light on your farranlea problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

University Hall>Mills>Spires>Farranlea>Lodge>Village>Station>Dean's Hall>Castle****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Casper89

Omg I was just on the UCC accomm page looking at the pics again...did they take the blue window seats outta Castlewhite??!:eek:

I loved them...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

where do the international student usually stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    where do the international student usually stay?

They stay anywhere and everywhere really. No specific place for them as far as i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Benhonan

I think a lot of them end up in the Spires. Or that place on Barrack Street, which is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deisechap09

seen as im soo late theres only faranlea left...i think??would i be better off trying off-campus or going to faranlea? Do many first years go there?ill be moving on my own so il need to make new friends and reckon it would be easier in a place full of first year than off-campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 UCCmed09

seen as im soo late theres only faranlea left...i think??would i be better off trying off-campus or going to faranlea? Do many first years go there?ill be moving on my own so il need to make new friends and reckon it would be easier in a place full of first year than off-campus.

farranlea is very nice!a few of my friends were there last year and were very happy!i think vic mills+uni hall are the nicest...after that i would pick farranlea..appartments are very nice and yes plenty of 1st yrs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭i'm a smiler

I have paid my deposit for Farranlea and think it looks pretty good. I'll have a ensuite bedroom but how long a walk would it be from Brookfield health science building where I'm gonna be based??

Do you think I would be better off trying to get a place in Brookfield for accomodation?

Please reply!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

I have paid my deposit for Farranlea and think it looks pretty good. I'll have a ensuite bedroom but how long a walk would it be from Brookfield health science building where I'm gonna be based??

Do you think I would be better off trying to get a place in Brookfield for accomodation?

Please reply!:)

'bout 5 minutes you lazy article!!:p

'bout 5 minutes you lazy article!!:p

Oh! Is that all? That's grand then! :p
    btw I'm not actually that lazy! ;)I play a lot of sport!

Would it be safe if I was coming back from the library at round 8 in the evening on my own, yeah?

Oh! Is that all? That's grand then! :p
    btw I'm not actually that lazy! ;)I play a lot of sport!

Would it be safe if I was coming back from the library at round 8 in the evening on my own, yeah?

Depends on wether i'm around or not:pac::p

Ya it's grand:)

Depends on wether i'm around or not:pac::p

Let's just hope you're not around then!! lol :p;)

its a 10-15 min walk from farranlea to brookfield health sci...apart from brookfield next door or castlewhite all the accom is pretty much the same distance from college!id def stay in farranlea if i were you..it wont make much difference time-wise and the accom is waaaay nicer than either of the closer two!yeah its totally safe on orchard road at that time....it could be a bit dodgy aftr 10 or 11pm but if you're walking on your own then you can always come home by western rd....it only adds about 5mins+is a busy main road..wit lots of student accom...vic mills,uni hall etc!!

UCCmed09 wrote: »
    its a 10-15 min walk from farranlea to brookfield health sci...apart from brookfield next door or castlewhite all the accom is pretty much the same distance from college!id def stay in farranlea if i were you..it wont make much difference time-wise and the accom is waaaay nicer than either of the closer two!yeah its totally safe on orchard road at that time....it could be a bit dodgy aftr 10 or 11pm but if you're walking on your own then you can always come home by western rd....it only adds about 5mins+is a busy main road..wit lots of student accom...vic mills,uni hall etc!!

You appear to be crawling from Farranlea to Brookfield and driving from brookfield to western road!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

I see you like bragging UCCMED09 ,I wonder what course you are doing ???:D with that attitude you won't last a year man!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    I see you like bragging UCCMED09 ,I wonder what course you are doing ???:D with that attitude you won't last a year man!

Just because he/she has Med in their username doesnt mean he/she is bragging. If he/she had a username like UCCCommerce09 or UCCArts09 would you be asking the same question? I think not

• Advertisement

You appear to be crawling from Farranlea to Brookfield and driving from brookfield to western road!!

ok yeah fair enough...i forgot it was walking from brookfield..i was thinking main campus..well i lived in vic mills last yr and it took me 10mins to walk home from main campus and farranlea was roughly another 5mins....so to get then from brookfield health sci to main campus at the start takes about 5 mins...so yeah its about 20mins...25 max!
    everyone i knew would give more than 10mins to get from farranlea to a lecture in brookfield going orchard rd....it mightnt take the full 15 but it is more than 10...although it doesnt feel like it!!

Advertisement