Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 257 Poirier vs McGregor 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

If Khabib is not coming back then Dustin v Oliveira for the vacant belt with Chandler possibly fighting the winner is the way to go.

Conor v Justin with both coming off a loss makes a lot of sense. Would be a stand up war that the fans would love to see.

People underestimated Dustin big time here. Khabib apart he’s been the best lightweight on the planet for the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

McGregor by Sub
    What do they do for the belt now? Assuming khabib stays retired (at they can't make the McGregor fight for mega millions. Well, they could, but you know what I mean) it's Gaethje, Poirier and now Chandler at the top table. I don't see Oliveira getting a shot any time soon and Ferguson is almost as good as done.

Poirier-Gaethje 1 was an incredible fight, part of that incredible sequence of fights between the two of them and Alvarez. Would love to see it again. Equally, that statement from Chandler gonna be hard to ignore but they can't give him it already.

Interesting to see how sincere McGregor is when talking about being active. It's hard to see what fight they can make for him that can headline a ppv other than Gaethje maybe. It'll never happen but would do him no harm at all to step back a bit and co main a few fights against some lesser opponents.

Khabib vacate and throw Dustin at chandler

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭RoryMac

kona wrote: »
    Realistically, whats mc gregors plan? As mentioned he never defended, hes lost a number of fights since aldo. Why the hell has he bothered to come back, i dont think hes a fool?!

I think he believed the camps he was doing were making him a better fighter and he would beat Khabib in a rematch, it looks in hindsight the emphasis on boxing in his camps have taken away the bits that made him such a threat in MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Poirier by Sub
    buyer95 wrote: »
    Ryan Tubridy is highly involved per Ewan McKenna.

Is the whiskey still even selling well?

McGregor by Sub
    What do they do for the belt now? Assuming khabib stays retired (at they can't make the McGregor fight for mega millions. Well, they could, but you know what I mean) it's Gaethje, Poirier and now Chandler at the top table. I don't see Oliveira getting a shot any time soon and Ferguson is almost as good as done.

Poirier-Gaethje 1 was an incredible fight, part of that incredible sequence of fights between the two of them and Alvarez. Would love to see it again. Equally, that statement from Chandler gonna be hard to ignore but they can't give him it already.

Interesting to see how sincere McGregor is when talking about being active. It's hard to see what fight they can make for him that can headline a ppv other than Gaethje maybe. It'll never happen but would do him no harm at all to step back a bit and co main a few fights against some lesser opponents.

They may go all in on him in an attempt to create a new star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Conor is humble in defeat? Is this the same man i have seen re-enact fights with Khabib and Mayweather months after the fact with delusions of grandeur of how he was actually winning this round, that round too, won that, had him there, had him here?

The night he beat Eddie Alvarez was akin to Tyson beating Spinks, after that and the Floyd fight the f*** you money came in and he was never ever the same and he never will be either. You cannot maintain that kind of level when you're acting like a complete egomaniac outside of the cage or ring with yes men surrounding you for 3 out of the 4 years since.

The Ricky Hatton analogy is the most recent and very similar, but many many others have followed a similar path and unfortunately for McGregor he's added to that list.

Take the advice that Kavanagh gave him after the Alvarez victory "off you go, you've achieved everything, you're a multi millionaire, what else is there for you to do?". Off to the sunset with the millions, business and family. Stop chasing something that isnt there anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I disagree, he spent most of this camp woth boxers rather than the lads he came up with. He needs to get back to HQ and work the way he did if he wants to compete again. Also needs to go back to give something back to the place that made him. He's thought about 5 classes since Brandao

As I said too many yes men. He's running his own camps not his coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Dana talking about streaming is like the king trying to stop the tide. Ridiculous

Even if I wasn't a scummy streamer to begin with, I'd go out of my way to be one if it meant not giving Dana White money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Conor khabib would have been huge, hence talking to khabib right after. Now its dead

would it? mcgregor never looked like winning that fight. khabib wins that fight 10 times out of 10. its hard to hype up a mcgregor fight anymore, hes finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Bullocks wrote: »
    Is the whiskey still even selling well?

I don't know to be honest, I haven't dug into the numbers. It seems to be quite big in the US, I watch a lot of nba on ESPN (using US sourced stream) and the ads for Proper 12 are extremely regular during big games. Don't know how sales are though tbh

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »
    If Khabib is not coming back then Dustin v Oliveira for the vacant belt with Chandler possibly fighting the winner is the way to go.

Conor v Justin with both coming off a loss makes a lot of sense. Would be a stand up war that the fans would love to see.

People underestimated Dustin big time here. Khabib apart he’s been the best lightweight on the planet for the last couple of years.

Try and walk through Justin Gaethje's leg kicks the way he did tonight and he'd end up getting knocked out worse.

McGregor by Sub
    pgj2015 wrote: »
    would it? mcgregor never looked like winning that fight. khabib wins that fight 10 times out of 10. its hard to hype up a mcgregor fight anymore, hes finished.

It would, if he won to tonight
    Obviously not now, sherlock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

McGregor by Sub
    buyer95 wrote: »
    Ryan Tubridy is highly involved per Ewan McKenna.

Ewan McKenna would be an expert where drink is involved to be fair

https://twitter.com/espnmma/status/1352812454242373633?s=09

Can taste Dana's tears from here. Glorious.

I'm more disappointed that's there nothing for khabib to come back for :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭pgj2015

It would, if he won to tonight
    Obviously not now, sherlock

He was finished well before tonight, anyone knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Great news to wake up to.

McGregor by Sub
    https://twitter.com/espnmma/status/1352812454242373633?s=09

Can taste Dana's tears from here. Glorious.

Can't stand khabib. Epitomy of a holier than thou Islamist

Try and walk through Justin Gaethje's leg kicks the way he did tonight and he'd end up getting knocked out worse.

I agree, do not think that would be a good night for Conor vs a hungry Justin coming off a loss.

That’s the fight that makes sense for all concerned though.

McGregor by Sub
    rob316 wrote: »
    I'm more disappointed that's there nothing for khabib to come back for :(

Why?

• Advertisement

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Inactivity (and a less than professional lifestyle for a couple of years) will definitely have played a part, but it's a change of stance, the almost karate style was gone and he was more heavy footed, reverting towards more of a boxing stance that I think played more of a part. I think he needs to re-evaluate the whole boxing thing and realise what got him to where his is/was.

I completely agree with this.

He hasn’t looked the same since those boxing camps. Think it totally ruined his game.

McGregor by Sub
    pgj2015 wrote: »
    He was finished well before tonight, anyone knew that.[/quote

Yes, for sure. Everyone knew he would lose, that's why he was 1/3 fav

Why?

Why? Why am I disappointed we won't see a great fighter like khabib. Love watching him

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭calabi yau

There are too many killers in the lightweight division for McGregor to be headlining fights. He does need to step back now and do a co main or fight night. Let’s see him fight Max Holloway again or Gaethje, even Hooker. He needs to get a W under his belt. I can’t see him beating anyone in the top 10 lightweight division at the moment. Diaz, Poirier, Holloway, Ferguson, Gaethje, Chandler, Hooker, RDA, Oliveira, Laquinta who does he beat there? They can all take his shots, they can all go 5 rounds. McGregor is screwed in the LD unless he starts from scratch and starts winning a few fights. He’s lucky insofaras, MMA fights tend to improve as they head towards their mid 30’s but it’s down to good coaching and I’m not sure McGregor is getting that. He literally hates getting hit, he doesn’t want to know, but a few good fights could get him used to it, like he was with Diaz 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭RoryMac

It's hard to see where McGregor goes from here, Poirier was the matchup that looked tailor made for him. Is he going to have the hunger for a few fights to build for a title run? Can he beat the top guys at LW?

I'd expect one of McGregor's famous retirement tweets in the coming weeks when the reality hits home. Only other option I see is Diaz 3

McGregor by Sub
    I completely agree with this.

He hasn’t looked the same since those boxing camps. Think it totally ruined his game.

Make a few bob off a manny fight and hit the road, but I think he will go more like a roy jones/anderson silva

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Yes, for sure. Everyone knew he would lose, that's why he was 1/3 fav

filthy casuals...

I agree, do not think that would be a good night for Conor vs a hungry Justin coming off a loss.

That’s the fight that makes sense for all concerned though.

Agree Gaethje is the best fight to make for him but they really have to change things up. Gaethje hasn't got his red panties yet do I'd say he'd be happy to do it, but if they offer Poirier-Gaethje for the belt...

Gaethje? He'd eat McGregor up, that would be a bad fight for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Can't stand khabib. Epitomy of a holier than thou Islamist

Done everything in the division and battered everything in front of him.
    Why would he not have an air of confidence?

At least it’s justified unlike McGregor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement