Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,805 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    The university will get the opportunity to work and study directly with a foreign national seeking aslyum here in Ireland. It is a fantastic opportunity to both understand and reconcile with our current system of asylum from an academic viewpoint. I could pontificate further. Genuinely it is a great opportunity for the university to mentor an asylum seeker and to gather an understanding of what happens. There is a benefit in that.

I said it earlier the concept that it is somehow a burden on the Irish Taxpayer is extremely tenuous. That university has x amount of budget to spend on a student at their want and desire, the money is going to get spent somewhere. It is the objection to their selection that I frankly find most disconcerting.

Irish Taxpayers will be paying tax long after his PhD is finished, however the university will have the benefit of examining his thesis.

They wont benefit an inch... the university exists to enable the learning of students.. no other reason. The student has no obligation to do anything.. nor will they be asked.. the student will put in his time and be off to their accomodation... the irish people get fùck all apart from one less place for our citizens and taxpayers ...

I find it disconcerting that somewhere there IS an irish taxpayer that applies for that course... but will not have the opprtunity as we are giving the place to somebody from outside the country. Extremly unfair, extremly unwise, and should be extremly illegal..

Imagine i rocked up to university in xxxx african city. " hi i just arrived... i want you to offer me a place on a degree course in one of your finest universities.. and disable the opportunity for a local student... a tax paying local student.. to avail of the opertunity.. sound fair.... i dont think so.. its not..

Strumms wrote: »
    Imagine i rocked up to university in xxxx african city. " hi i just arrived... i want you to offer me a place on a degree course in one of your finest universities.. and disable the opportunity for a local student... a tax paying local student.. to avail of the opertunity.. sound fair.... i dont think so.. its not..

Ahh now.. we can't be having that... that's selfish. That's putting the needs of natives ahead of the wants of foreigners. Disgraceful attitude. For Shame! For Shame! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

One thing I particularly like about the Bulelani Mfaco case is that he did his degree and it was only then he remembered about the awful homophobia in his home country.
    Another thing I like is that since finishing his masters he has created a situation which is the only thing which then leads to his role as a spokesman and for the PhD he's been accepted on. I'm going to guess that had he had anything useful to contribute he could have stayed on to do a PhD when his Masters finished with a student visa. But he didn't so he threw his hands up and cried racist.

Finally I also love that the defenders of nonsense have basically admitted that he's gaming the system which is totally fine and shur why wouldn't ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

York University academics see the evil of racism in three wise monkeys.
    From The Times:
    The three wise monkeys have been a cultural trope throughout the world for centuries as a symbol of seeing, hearing and speaking no evil.
    Academics at the University of York have decided that they could be seen as an oppressive racial stereotype, and pulled an image of the animals from their website to avoid offence.

Just so you know, the image for seeing, hearing and speaking no evil emerged in Japan in the 17th century. But academics ..............
    I think that the Shelbourne Hotel statues syndrome is spreading.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

They wont benefit an inch... the university exists to enable the learning of students.. no other reason. The student has no obligation to do anything.. nor will they be asked.. the student will put in his time and be off to their accomodation... the irish people get fùck all apart from one less place for our citizens and taxpayers ...

I find it disconcerting that somewhere there IS an irish taxpayer that applies for that course... but will not have the opprtunity as we are giving the place to somebody from outside the country. Extremly unfair, extremly unwise, and should be extremly illegal..

From what I can read from this post you don’t really know what universities are for and you think that people studying abroad is some sort of PC-gone-mad wokeness. Have you ever heard of exchange students, or the Erasmus programme here in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

From what I can read from this post you don’t really know what universities are for and you think that people studying abroad is some sort of PC-gone-mad wokeness. Have you ever heard of exchange students, or the Erasmus programme here in Europe?

I've never heard of the asylum seeker exchange programme though...

AllForIt wrote: »
    I've never heard of the asylum seeker exchange programme though...

This might shock you to hear but asylum seekers are people too.

This might shock you to hear but asylum seekers are people too.

And your point is?

And your point is?

omg My point is that people travel abroad to study all the time and it’s never suggested that those students are “stealing” a local’s place on the program unless the commentator is a massive bigot omgomg.

It would seem to me to be a bit contradictory that people don’t like unskilled immigrants coming over to Ireland, but nor do they want them to be trained to the highest possible level either. An opposition to Little Irelandry isn’t “woke.”

• Advertisement

omg My point is that people travel abroad to study all the time and it’s never suggested that those students are “stealing” a local’s place on the program unless the commentator is a massive bigot omgomg.

You do like your "oh my god" remarks.

Most foreign students pay for their positions. That's also the case with Erasmus, along with the funding that the EU provides.. as opposed to someone seeking Asylum and having those costs provided for them.

Bear in mind, we're talking about someone seeking a PHD as opposed to a standard degree. Such qualifications are notoriously expensive, and with limited places for students, so the point about stealing a locals place has relevance.

You might not agree.. but it's nothing to do with bigotry.
    It would seem to me to be a bit contradictory that people don’t like unskilled immigrants coming over to Ireland, but nor do they want them to be trained to the highest possible level either. An opposition to Little Irelandry isn’t “woke.”

I've no idea what "little Irelandry" is. In any case, the problem with unskilled immigrants is that Ireland, being a modern nation, the majority of employment requires certain standards. Our unskilled industry is relatively small in comparison to other countries, and it's not growing in scope, so... where will these unskilled migrants be employed? In addition, we already have a population of the unskilled, so such positions will be limited. Without employment beyond the minimum wage, most will require government supplements/welfare to live a decent life.

Basically, the encouragement of unskilled labor immigration creates an underclass of people who need constant help until they can be skilled up to the point where they can compete effectively against others. All of which requires investment. Long-term investment. On a system that is already ill-equipped to deal with such people.

The woke aspect is the belief that we should continue immigration of unskilled people, when we have very little success at improving the lives of the unskilled labor already here. Short term gains in virtue signalling (bringing in more people), for long-term costs (welfare supports, education, etc) with little consideration to the limited return on that investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

I think some peoples issue is that his asylum seeker application was rejected therefore he should not be availing of resources that could be used by people legally living in Ireland.

The woke part is that the university offered him the placement despite his status being rejected.

I just hope there was no legal citizens with equal credentials refused this position.

^^^ Spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

^^^ Spot on.

I actually think you put it much better than I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

I am going to write a novel about how I got accepted to the University of Mumbai to do a 2 year Masters and upon completion I applied for refugee status in India because the nasty CEO of Amnesty Ireland said Irish women like me should have media and political representation removed due to holding opinions that were critical of ascientific gender theory, but I was refused refugee status and yet Mumbai University kindly came to my rescue offering me a fully funded chance to do my PhD there on Institutionalised Inhumanity in India which would make me an invaluable future expert on speaking out publicly against endemic Indian cruelty, racism and bigotry. It is going to be a roller coaster tear jerking epic concluding with that ironic and devastating twist at the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Gruffalux wrote: »
    I am going to write a novel about how I got accepted to the University of Mumbai to do a 2 year Masters and upon completion I applied for refugee status in India because the nasty CEO of Amnesty Ireland said Irish women like me should have media and political representation removed due to holding opinions that were critical of ascientific gender theory, but I was refused refugee status and yet Mumbai University kindly came to my rescue offering me a fully funded chance to do my PhD there on Institutionalised Inhumanity in India which would make me an invaluable future expert on speaking out publicly against endemic Indian cruelty, racism and bigotry. It is going to be a roller coaster tear jerking epic concluding with that ironic and devastating twist at the end.

Go for it.

Get your inoculations before you go, your body will be subject to a vast range of tropical disease with which you have currently not built up any immunity for. It is very common for people travelling in India to spend the first number of weeks, even months, acclimatising. I would also definitely encourage you to contact all the major universities in Mumbai to see how they could facilitate you in your studies,

I think India is crying out for some western influence again, particularly in the quagmire that is female rights on the Indian continent. If your book got a decent reception you could be looking at a readership of over 850 million people, nice work if you can get it.

I would also not put you off contacting media in Ireland before you go. They could well be interested in documenting your experience and might even consider assisting you with some sort if funding were you open to sharing your experiences with them.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

That is simply cynical. Assuming students are bums is condescending. I studied extremely hard when given the opportunity.

2 things here. First of all an Irish person would have no concept of the rigmaroles of the EU or Irish immigration system. In saying that, it is the prerogative of the Civil Service to undertake such a study. It look like in this instance that both the university and Mr MFaco have stolen a march on them there. Secondly drop the Irish bullshight. Your concept that the PhD is awarded at the expense of an Irish person is evidently discriminatory, for starters.

No one is frankly stopping you. Give it a go, Africa is a vast and rich continent. What would you like to study there and more importantly, what do you think you can offer that country or region once your studies are completed?

Live a little see a lot. Life may not be all that fair, but cranking about someone else availing of an opportunity awarded to them is begrudgery and you should strive to avoid wasting your energy on pettiness and resentment, your life is far too short for that.

Wow, how appalling. I regularly watched his channel, he is crazy about chess and lives it.

Read the last line though -

He appealed the decision and the video was reinstated.

Seemingly the podcast was removed because an algorithm - it makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

I think India is crying out for some western influence again, particularly in the quagmire that is female rights on the Indian continent.

It is odd that you are a proponent of colonialism. Given your other ideas.

Having lived there for 2 years I can assure you Indian women are sassy enough, determined enough and highly intelligent, so they can fight their own battles without the help of a crusading Memsahib.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,805 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

From what i can read you dont really understand what is being said to you... or the difference between ' exchange students ' and assylum seekers who arnt just happy recieving assylum... they want and expect taxpayers to forgo college oportunities and then subsequently pay tens of thousands per year per assylum seeker to give them a college education.... sound fair.. ? Its not...sound crazy ? Yes... Its because it is...

Tens of thousands on accomodation... same on healthcare and other benefits...

No we are supposed to be giving them a free college place ? And fùcking our own young people under the bus in the process... no thanks ...

Wow, how appalling. I regularly watched his channel, he is crazy about chess and lives it.

Read the last line though -

He appealed the decision and the video was reinstated.

Seemingly the podcast was removed because an algorithm - it makes sense.

He is back on youtube but the fact that cancellation was even considered in the first place says a lot about youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Well, now you are just being “uncivil”.

Sorry "Emms". Thought I was being "chummy".

What's a few letters between friends anyway. :)

Reminds me of the "uncivil" cartoon:

http://wondermark.com/1k62/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

He is back on youtube but the fact that cancellation was even considered in the first place says a lot about youtube.

Or the programmers paid to maintain the algorithms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

And then there was this...
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/overactive-profanity-filter-bleeps-bone-paleontology-conference-180976086/

Hypersensitive Profanity Filter Censors ‘Bone’ at Paleontology Conference

Thomas R. Holtz Jr., a Tyrannosaurus rex expert at the University of Maryland, typed “Hell Creek Formation” in response to a colleague’s question following a presentation. But when Holtz’s message appeared in the chat, it instead appeared as “**** Creek Formation"

"Most funny to us was the censorship of ‘bone,’ which, after all, are the main thing we work with,” Holtz tells the Times.
    “Words like ‘bone,’ ‘pubic’ and ‘stream’ are frankly ridiculous to ban in a field where we regularly find pubic bones in streams,”

And then there was this...
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/overactive-profanity-filter-bleeps-bone-paleontology-conference-180976086/

Hypersensitive Profanity Filter Censors ‘Bone’ at Paleontology Conference

Thomas R. Holtz Jr., a Tyrannosaurus rex expert at the University of Maryland, typed “Hell Creek Formation” in response to a colleague’s question following a presentation. But when Holtz’s message appeared in the chat, it instead appeared as “**** Creek Formation"

"Most funny to us was the censorship of ‘bone,’ which, after all, are the main thing we work with,” Holtz tells the Times.
    “Words like ‘bone,’ ‘pubic’ and ‘stream’ are frankly ridiculous to ban in a field where we regularly find pubic bones in streams,”

Superb.

Another for any beatles fan out there.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-52992669

Biker79 wrote: »
    Or the programmers paid to maintain the algorithms.

Indeed. But either way ........................................

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So a guy had a video taken down by a computer algorithm, not a human, then had it reinstated without issue when a real person assessed it?

Sounds like a complete non-story to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

I told my kid I'd get him another book by Ezra Jack Keats, after reading The Snowy Day, which is a really great book for toddlers. Keats' books happen to be about a black kid. That was signficant when he wrote and drew them because it was the 1960s. However The Snowy Day isn't about being black, it's just about a kid who goes around on a snowy day. .

So I look up his other books and read reviews about them. But of course the books are known for being diverse or inclusive or whatever - so lots of the reviews don't focus on their writing or illustrations - they just focus on their woke credentials. The top amazon review from the UK of one of them is a good example. It says it's a trade off because they like that it has racial diversity, but they don't like that it doesn't have gender inclusivity because the boys don't want to play with the girls. Four stars... That's it - the entire review.

Another review is kinda sad. It was by a black parent who liked the book because it's hard to find toddler books about black characters that aren't about race. How crazy is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

coolbeans wrote: »
    You do realise you're the one being had in all this don't you. The vast majority of people don't give a toss about this nonsense; and those who publish this silliness are just waiting for a sucker like you to bite and then bloviate about political correctness/ crazy lefties or whatever you're having yourself. You're being played like a fiddle. A fiddle I tells you!

Piers morgan is an expert at this. He'll find the most obscure thing, invite someone on the show who holds that opinion and put it centre stage. That way it appears as if its a mainstream opinion and a threat to the status quo. World's gone mad yada. And all the half wits at home get their knickers in a twist. A constant cycle of nonsense ensues. He wrote a book about it now. Laughing all the way to the bank.

Daily mail also do this. When will people cop on to this? Never.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement