Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insomnia?/Tips for good sleep

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

Fathom wrote: »
    Anecdotal, but my best friend would agree. She sleeps when needed. If wakes up in wee hours. Does not fight it. Gets up and does something. Lids get heavy. Goes back to sleep. Feels OK mornings.

The thing is - to get up and do something would require putting a light on - surely that would further reduce someones change of getting back to sleep. 🤔

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Worztron wrote: »
    The thing is - to get up and do something would require putting a light on - surely that would further reduce someones change of getting back to sleep. 🤔

Thats a good point and in a lot of the books on sleep problems they recommend you use a small flashlight to make your way around. It's a small issue really as the main thing is that you get up and do not stay there tormented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MuIMqhT8DM

He highlights how detrimental to your health it can be when you suffer from long term sleep problems.

Matt Walker: [on sleep] "Regularity is king."

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Thats a good point and in a lot of the books on sleep problems they recommend you use a small flashlight to make your way around. It's a small issue really as the main thing is that you get up and do not stay there tormented.

A torch sounds like just the ticket.

TP_CM wrote: »
    I have a paperwhite Kindle, does that mess with melatonin levels does anyone know?

I would think so, yes.

• Advertisement

I once went 3 nights with zero sleep when my problem was at its worse. Often have nights now with zero sleep.

I just cannot imagine getting zero sleep at all for a night. At least your sleep pattern is good now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MuIMqhT8DM

He highlights how detrimental to your health it can be when you suffer from long term sleep problems.

I've seen many of Matt Walkers videos. Very educational and a likeable guy to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lucalux

I just cannot imagine getting zero sleep at all for a night. At least your sleep pattern is good now.

How is this possible in an insomnia thread?! :o
    haha really only kidding, but honestly - that's me at least twice a month, no sleep at all for two or almost three days at a time.

It's really really bad for us, sleep is so essential for brain health, and of course mental health in general.
    Grand for the first 24, almost get a buzz from the second wind of awakeness, but it leaves me floored for a week after.

Obviously doesn't help the circadian rhythm, at all. I do the same as other posters, I'll get up and do something, can't lie in bed or I spiral massively into "I'll never sleep again" thinking :P

On the torch thing, you know those headlamps for walking/working?

They often have a red light on the back of them. This is a good option for nighttime wakers who don't want the brightness of lamps (especially blue LEDs which mimic daylight so well.
    Red light will affect your circadian rhythm less, by not affecting melatonin production as much as 'bluer' lights afaik

lucalux wrote: »
    haha really only kidding, but honestly - that's me at least twice a month, no sleep at all for two or almost three days at a time.

It's really really bad for us, sleep is so essential for brain health, and of course mental health in general.
    Grand for the first 24, almost get a buzz from the second wind of awakeness, but it leaves me floored for a week after.

Obviously doesn't help the circadian rhythm, at all. I do the same as other posters, I'll get up and do something, can't lie in bed or I spiral massively into "I'll never sleep again" thinking :P

They often have a red light on the back of them. This is a good option for nighttime wakers who don't want the brightness of lamps (especially blue LEDs which mimic daylight so well.
    Red light will affect your circadian rhythm less, by not affecting melatonin production as much as 'bluer' lights afaik

Hi lucalux. Good tip there re light colors. Sleep is even more vital for our bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

The light from screen of a smart phone is sufficient to get about. We also keep Salt lamps on in hall and kitchen so can move about/make tea without putting on main lights.

• Advertisement

It's difficult to explain to someone that has never experienced what it its like after 2 or 3 days without sleep. For me its a state of confusion, cant string thoughts together in my mind. Every sound is amplified and annoys you, your mood is terrible and everyone is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lucalux

It's difficult to explain to someone that has never experienced what it its like after 2 or 3 days without sleep. For me its a state of confusion, cant string thoughts together in my mind. Every sound is amplified and annoys you, your mood is terrible and everyone is annoying.

Agreed, it's debilitating in a very real way. I get about 60 points stupider on the IQ scale I'd guess.

Affects mood, relationships, work, and tbh personality, if it goes on long enough too.
    Irritable people are not themselves at all at all

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I bought melatonin (abroad) but it didn’t help at all. I use valerian-from a herbalist. I find it fantastic. Stress is my biggest trigger for disturbed sleep. I try to walk everyday and write stuff down about what’s stressing me out.

Can melatonin be bought in Ireland OTC?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Can melatonin be bought in Ireland OTC?

No unfortunately ou need a prescription from your Doctor here for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,990 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Affects mood, relationships, work, and tbh personality, if it goes on long enough too.
    Irritable people are not themselves at all at all
    Several sleep deprivation studies suggest problems.

What are some ideas for reading material/puzzles if someone has to get up after waking and not being able to get back asleep for about 30 minutes? I know it's suggested to go to another room and read in a dim light - I'm not sure about what to read though? Also - would word search puzzles be good? They're not too stimulating so may be alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What are some ideas for reading material/puzzles if someone has to get up after waking and not being able to get back asleep for about 30 minutes? I know it's suggested to go to another room and read in a dim light - I'm not sure about what to read though? Also - would word search puzzles be good? They're not too stimulating so may be alright?

Does it have to be reading based? Listening to a short chapter of an audiobook or bbc sounds book of the week episode or a podcast might be less stimulating but work as a relax reset.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Does it have to be reading based? Listening to a short chapter of an audiobook or bbc sounds book of the week episode or a podcast might be less stimulating but work as a relax reset.

Good point there, odyssey06.

I like audio books personally and YouTube is full of them. Richard Dawkins has a great voice that usually puts me to sleep. Cant sleep, get out of bed after 20 or so min then I go to the couch downstairs and put on an audiobook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Watch Ireland play?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I like audio books personally and YouTube is full of them. Richard Dawkins has a great voice that usually puts me to sleep. Cant sleep, get out of bed after 20 or so min then I go to the couch downstairs and put on an audiobook.

Yeah you need to find a calm and composed voice that works for you.
    Carl Sagan is very good too.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

I think having a time when phones, tablets etc are switched off is very important. And get them out of your bedroom!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I love listening to podcasts or audio lectures as I go to sleep.
    Music seems to stimulate me more, even if it's "relaxing" music (does not work for me).

Most podcasts though, particularly the American ones, can be very annoying, and people laugh way too much.
    BBC In Our Time is OK.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yeah you need to find a calm and composed voice that works for you.
    Carl Sagan is very good too.

Martin Rees is lovely to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

Watch Ireland play?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzz zzzzzzzzz zzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

Has anyone tried the 45 minute sleepcasts on Headspace? I'm absolutely loving those at the moment when I wake up at night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,990 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Has anyone tried the 45 minute sleepcasts on Headspace? I'm absolutely loving those at the moment when I wake up at night.
    Sleep podcasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

Fathom wrote: »
    Sleep podcasts?

Yes here is their description
    Headspace wrote:
    Similar to bedtime stories, sleepcasts take you on an audio-guided tour of a dreamy environment, whether that’s a Californian desert at night or a beautifully tranquil lakeside lodge.

Sleepcasts vary in length, from 45-55 minutes. Each one begins with a “wind down,” which could be a meditation exercise, or even a simple breathing technique, followed by a narrated tour of a sleepy landscape, complete with a soundtrack that evokes that place, to create a soothing, immersive experience.

Unique to Headspace’s sleepcasts, these night-time journeys are remixed each night, meaning that experience is slightly different each time you listen. That way, you can’t memorize the narrative, and use it to track the passage of time, something we found could cause anxiety for restless sleepers. Whatever bedtime story appeals, the blend of sound and visualization helps to create the ideal conditions for healthy, restful sleep.

One thing I like about them is that you can select how loud you want the ambiance to be in relation to the narrator. So I turn up the sounds of, say, the beach, or the lagoon, or the forest, or whatever environment they're walking me through so that the voice is audible but doesn't keep me awake.

The problem I have recently when I wake at 4am is that my brain goes 100 mile an hour thinking about different things I have going on. I begin to over-analyse everything. These sleepcasts stop my brain from doing any thinking really, and also stops me thinking about time passing.

There was one about a train ride which was great. I started to dream about taking a train across Europe. It was a nice dream to have during level 5 restrictions.

• Advertisement

One thing I like about them is that you can select how loud you want the ambiance to be in relation to the narrator. So I turn up the sounds of, say, the beach, or the lagoon, or the forest, or whatever environment they're walking me through so that the voice is audible but doesn't keep me awake.
    Choices. Useful.

Advertisement