Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Yes it doesn't make sense every other profession like accountancy has exemptions but law.

The Law Society used to have an exemptions regime but they were sued in the 1990s over it and lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Got a pfo from Moran Ryan today, just wondering did many apply for it! Seems like everywhere is ultra competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

LeGal97 wrote: »
    That is a good idea!! I will do that.. after all the PFO's last year for both traineeships and internships (after doing a good internship the year before) I really do not know where I am going wrong. I'm going to email some of the small firms in my county and see does anyone need a hand soon also, anything is better than nothing at this stage!
    channing90 wrote: »
    Got a pfo from Moran Ryan today, just wondering did many apply for it! Seems like everywhere is ultra competitive.

Same

Yeah hard to find anything - applied for a firm in November and only got back to me now

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Am I correct in saying that there is 0 criminal law firms, or even 0 firms who happen to practice criminal law as part of their business in the legal 500 in Ireland? I searched the Irish firms in the legal 500 and there is zero of them from what I can see? I find that baffling to be honest, how many business law firms do you need in one county haha. Sorry I'm fairly out of the loop and was looking for just a big list of all the criminal law firms in the country but there isn't even a section on the legal 500 for criminal law as a practice area!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Am I correct in saying that there is 0 criminal law firms, or even 0 firms who happen to practice criminal law as part of their business in the legal 500 in Ireland? I searched the Irish firms in the legal 500 and there is zero of them from what I can see? I find that baffling to be honest, how many business law firms do you need in one county haha. Sorry I'm fairly out of the loop and was looking for just a big list of all the criminal law firms in the country but there isn't even a section on the legal 500 for criminal law as a practice area!

Why would that matter? There are plenty of firms that practice in 'criminal law', but you'll probably need to be more specific. Staines would probably be the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Anyone heard from Staines ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

The only firms on the Legal 500 are big firms - - commercial, corporate, banking and & finance, PI, large general practice, etc. You just don't get big criminal solicitor firms.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Fe1forthefun

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Why would that matter? There are plenty of firms that practice in 'criminal law', but you'll probably need to be more specific. Staines would probably be the best.

KOD Lyons? Think they are the biggest criminal law firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FE1Nov20

jus_me wrote: »
    Anyone heard from Staines ?

Heard nothing so far. I just can’t stop checking emails for any sort of update!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭law987

The biggest criminal firm in Cork city has 5 solicitors working there, so yes firms in this area are very small, there isn't enough work for them to be any bigger.

Majority of the cases only require 1-2 hours work and only take up a few minutes of time at court. In the district court, 1 solicitor could get through 20 cases in one morning. In the circuit court, 1 solicitor could have 5 cases in a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Anyone else get an email from Kennedy’s about the video assessment? Wondering what kind of questions they will ask..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Fe1123

holliek wrote: »
    Anyone else get an email from Kennedy’s about the video assessment? Wondering what kind of questions they will ask..

I did! I have no idea...I would imagine the questions will be fairly general but I’ve never done a video interview before so not sure

LawBoy2018 wrote: »

It doesn't matter to me if they are in the legal500 or not it just doesn't make sense to me that there are legions of coporate firms and zero criminal firms. All I'm looking for is a comprehensive list of the biggest criminal firms in the country and I noticed it was odd there was none on the legal 500

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Fe1forthefun

It doesn't matter to me if they are in the legal500 or not it just doesn't make sense to me that there are legions of coporate firms and zero criminal firms. All I'm looking for is a comprehensive list of the biggest criminal firms in the country and I noticed it was odd there was none on the legal 500

It isn't as profitable. They mostly get appointed by the state to represent someone and get their fee from that. This would be much lower than fees that a corporate firm could charge for work done.

There are a few prominent criminal defence chambers for barristers in the UK that is well paid and prestigious. But you don't really get that in Ireland as barristers basically work for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fe179user

AlexTG356 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that it's not possible to apply for the Matheson internship and traineeship at the same time? The system doesn't seem to allow you. Or do you have to fill out two separate applications? I don't even know which one I'm better off applying for if they just want you to apply for one.

I’m in the same boat - not sure if you can apply for both? I am going to apply for the internship anyways even though I’m doing a postgrad and have done 3 FE1s because I feel I’ll have maybe more of a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭AlexTG356

Fe179user wrote: »
    I’m in the same boat - not sure if you can apply for both? I am going to apply for the internship anyways even though I’m doing a postgrad and have done 3 FE1s because I feel I’ll have maybe more of a chance?

Ya I have the same thinking. I'll probably see if I can apply for both after I submit the internship for the sake of it. Most of my application will be saved on the system anyway. Although doing two separate Watson Glazer tests is a bit of a pain.

You might be more suited for traineeship as you've got Fe1s done and you're doing a postgrad. When I did my internship at Matheson it seemed geared more towards undergraduates. Obviously that's not to say you can't apply and be successful if you've graduated.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FE1Nov20

AlexTG356 wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with the DAC video recorded interview? Is it recorded straight through or do you individually record segments and re-do them if you want, like how it is with some of the initial stages of some of the grad-programmes?

I would also appreciate any insight on this

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fe179user

IgoPAP wrote: »
    You might be more suited for traineeship as you've got Fe1s done and you're doing a postgrad. When I did my internship at Matheson it seemed geared more towards undergraduates. Obviously that's not to say you can't apply and be successful if you've graduated.

Thanks for your reply! I have no experience in legal firms unfortunately so I think that’s why I never get anywhere with traineeship applications. I have a placement coming up with my postgrad this semester but it’s not in a law firm but a consultancy firm. I feel like most law firms don’t look at potential candidates for trainees unless they have at least some legal experience or am I wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 AaronSamms

Hey guys,

I got a few emails this week about those video interviews where we prerecord them ourself.

Do ye think this is something that every applicant has to do or is it just those who have been successful in the first screening stage? Just because it seems very impersonal to me. I imagine it's an initial step that everyone does.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jack McCoy

Legal500 is only really for corporate firms and the firms might have to pay to be featured in it.

The Law Society maintain a registry of solicitors who are willing to attend at Garda Stations. This might be a good place to start and is probably the closest thing to what you're looking for.

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Find-a-Solicitor/Find-a-Garda-Station-Solicitor/

You could also google which solicitors/firms received the most money from legal aid. This might be something of an indicator of the busiest criminal practice firms in the Country.

Thanks for your reply! I have no experience in legal firms unfortunately so I think that’s why I never get anywhere with traineeship applications. I have a placement coming up with my postgrad this semester but it’s not in a law firm but a consultancy firm. I feel like most law firms don’t look at potential candidates for trainees unless they have at least some legal experience or am I wrong

It all depends what you're looking to get out of it! I would definitely consider applying for the internship then if you're also looking for some experience. That way you get the internship under your belt, and a trainee interview at the end of it. If you're struggling to get your foot in the door I'd suggest reaching out to some local firms and seeing if you can work there for a few weeks or months or so. Then you can start building up your CV

Anyone hear from Shields Sadleir?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Unfortunately not. Would a legal secretary job with a general practice solicitor be worth it to get a traineeship?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caius97

PFO from Michael Staines today!

caius97 wrote: »
    PFO from Michael Staines today!

Thanks for letting us know! I haven't heard anything back, I can only hope that I have managed to advance although I assume that they are going through PFOs alphabetically which means I may hear word later today or possibly tomorrow. Nervous times :confused:

Thanks for letting us know! I haven't heard anything back, I can only hope that I have managed to advance although I assume that they are going through PFOs alphabetically which means I may hear word later today or possibly tomorrow. Nervous times :confused:

No I’d say you’ve advanced haha I’m last in the alphabet by last name so I’d say you got an interview !!

No I’d say you’ve advanced haha I’m last in the alphabet by last name so I’d say you got an interview !!

Oh maybe I have then, sorry to hear you got a PFO. It could also be in order of who applied first. I applied on the last day so I could be one of the last ones. I duno haha I'm just so afraid to get my hopes up

• Advertisement

Oh maybe I have then, sorry to hear you got a PFO. It could also be in order of who applied first. I applied on the last day so I could be one of the last ones. I duno haha I'm just so afraid to get my hopes up

Ah I was expecting it to be honest haha !

They said they got loads of applications.

Advertisement