Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT fail rack and pinion - Chevrolet Kalos - south county Dublin

Options
  • 22-01-2021 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi

The previous threads are all over 10 years old, hence this new one. The purpose of this thread is twofold :-

1. Ascertain current prices to repair/replace + labour
    2. Recommendations for good reliable mechanics in or around South County Dublin to do this job.

So Chevrolet Kalos year 2006; failed NCT yesterday with Rack and Pinion worn - offside

I believe from previous posts this is likely to mean replacement of a rod, and would like to hear if this is the case, and if so, approximate cost to replace/repair within 20 days.

If you have recommendations based on personal experience (good or bad please), if permitted put in this thread, or else PM me.

Thanks in advance for any replies

:):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newmember2

Is it leaking fluid?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

newmember? wrote: »
    Is it leaking fluid?

Hi, not a mechanic myself but I presume you mean by checking on the ground by that wheel ? The NCT was quite specific -worn offside, but if you can advise how to check for leakage ?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

Is it leaking fluid?

What

It probably only track rod end part is only around €30 plus tracking at around €30 at most including labour should be under €100 to fix in garage

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Whocare wrote: »
    It probably only track rod end part is only around €30 plus tracking at around €30 at most including labour should be under €100 to fix in garage

I'd guess the same as above

• Advertisement

What

Rack and pinion - you know...the thing that's full of fluid :rolleyes:

Rack and pinion - you know...the thing that's full of fluid :rolleyes:

You haven't a clue what you're talking about so don't think you're so smart with your rolleyes . For nct if was leaking it be down on nct report it was leaking. But if say rack and pinion offside/nearside worn it 9 times out of 10 it a inner or outer track rod end need replacing for other 1 times it something inside rack

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ferg01

You haven't a clue what you're talking about so don't think you're so smart with your rolleyes . For nct if was leaking it be down on nct report it was leaking. But if say rack and pinion offside/nearside worn it 9 times out of 10 it a inner or outer track rod end need replacing for other 1 times it something inside rack

Decaf for Whocare from now on...

I don't work for the NCT so am not familiar with their certs. A steering rack has fluid so if it fails I presume it's leaking. That's a reasonable assumption, the rolleyes was for your smart "What". The question I asked was genuine, but thanks for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

I don't work for the NCT so am not familiar with their certs. A steering rack has fluid so if it fails I presume it's leaking. That's a reasonable assumption, the rolleyes was for your smart "What". The question I asked was genuine, but thanks for your input.

My "smart" what was a genuine question as I do not have any more knowledge other than the diagrams I have reviewed. In none of those is there any indication of fluid !
    I would also respectfully suggest if that was the case, the failed NCT would have shown this specifically, given the specificity of the actual failure reason provided.
    No offence was intended, and thank you for your response.

• Advertisement
Advertisement