Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PCP - what is the APR?

Options
  • 24-01-2021 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi all.

We are currently going back to our dealer for a new PCP quote at the end of the three-year term.

See attached screen grab off the offer.

Am I correct in saying that the APR is approximately 2.8%?

Thanks in advance.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

The kodoaiq is quoted at 3.9% on skoda site currently. You must check with dealer on actual rate though. However that rate would equate to the interest paid based on pcp calculator on skoda website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Going by the figures in your attachment is it not something like 5.5%?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Dubsey

Hi Pacifico,

Thanks for the response.

Could you clarify how you arrived at that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

Surely the APR is one of the first questions you should have asked the dealer? Why don’t you just ring them now and ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Penalty

a rough estimate based on the above is about 3.6% but what is the term of this new agreement. What is the GMFV at the end?

The rate will be printed somewhere on the offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 flytherain

Dubsey wrote: »
    Hi all.

We are currently going back to our dealer for a new PCP quote at the end of the three-year term.

See attached screen grab off the offer.

Am I correct in saying that the APR is approximately 2.8%?

Thanks in advance.

D.

you need to know GMFV. and then use that Figure 4 (40535.75) Minus GMFV= amount of money they lend to you over three years terms on PCP. multiply by the rate you are agreed on PCP.

https://www.msl.ie/en/skoda/new/kodiaq

flytherain wrote: »
    you need to know GMFV. and then use that Figure 4 (40535.75) Minus GMFV= amount of money they lend to you over three years terms on PCP. multiply by the rate you are agreed on PCP.

https://www.msl.ie/en/skoda/new/kodiaq

Is the GMFV not line 3 - Settlement?

Is the GMFV not line 3 - Settlement?

That's the finance on the car being traded in. The difference between 2 and 3 is the deposit which is deducted in 4 from 1.

Lantus wrote: »
    That's the finance on the car being traded in. The difference between 2 and 3 is the deposit which is deducted in 4 from 1.

Ah, I see now. In that case, the attachment in the OP appears to be for a HP purchase, not PCP.

Ah, I see now. In that case, the attachment in the OP appears to be for a HP purchase, not PCP.

Pcp is a type of hp so it's not incorrect. There is nothing on payments whatsoever. Needs an additional layer of info beyond the headline summary.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the responses.
    User1998 wrote: »
    Surely the APR is one of the first questions you should have asked the dealer? Why don’t you just ring them now and ask?

Hi - Haven't asked the dealer anything yet. I'm one of those people who like to understand the nuts and bolts. If they have fudged the APR rate that is being advised online then I'd like to know about it before I engage further with them. so the question is - is there enough info provided to define what the APR is.

My understanding of the figures:

1 - Price of the new car
    2 - Price they are allowing on the care we have (market value)(although it is worth a few grand more based on other similar models advertised but I guess they do need to make money off this)
    3 - The GMFV - I believe.
    4 - Amount financed which includes the GMFV (is this right?)(doesn't seem right - why would I be paying interest on the value of a car that I could be handing back again)
    5 - Interest charged.

Is the APR not 5 expressed as a % of 4?

So 3474/40535 * 100 = 8.5%?

Or because it is the annual rate does this then need to be divided by 3?

Which would bring me back to my original 2.8% value.

Sorry guys.

Payments now attached.

So number 3 on my previous post isn't the GMV then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Thanks for the responses.

Hi - Haven't asked the dealer anything yet. I'm one of those people who like to understand the nuts and bolts. If they have fudged the APR rate that is being advised online then I'd like to know about it before I engage further with them. so the question is - is there enough info provided to define what the APR is.

My understanding of the figures:

1 - Price of the new car
    2 - Price they are allowing on the care we have (market value)(although it is worth a few grand more based on other similar models advertised but I guess they do need to make money off this)
    3 - The GMFV - I believe.
    4 - Amount financed which includes the GMFV (is this right?)(doesn't seem right - why would I be paying interest on the value of a car that I could be handing back again)
    5 - Interest charged.

Is the APR not 5 expressed as a % of 4?

So 3474/40535 * 100 = 8.5%?

Or because it is the annual rate does this then need to be divided by 3?

Which would bring me back to my original 2.8% value.

Thats not how you calculate APR.

The APR rate is about 5.4%

Can you demonstrate how you calculated that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Can you demonstrate how you calculated that?

Never mind, I'm wrong. I didn't see the payment schedule, I thought it was HP and you were paying it all off over 3 years which you aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

Use a PCP APR calculator and slot in your numbers. To get the same monthly repayment and GFMV will give an APR of approx 4%.

So sounds right then.

Thanks all.

You need to sit the dealer and have them explain every figure and take notes as you see fit. I've done it several times and it doesn't hurt. You will be better armed and it saves times and will educate you tremendously.

If your spending 5k or 50k you need to really understand the figures.

If this is a pcp you also need the gmfv and the apr and the monthly figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Number 3 or the “settlement” is what you owe on your current car as of today.

So you’re trade in is 26, less what you owe. 17.

This leaves you with a deposit then of 9000.

The new car is 49000. Your deposit 9000. Amount now financed on the new contract 40k.

Then in 3 years you’ll owe 20k(GMFV) Rinse and repeat.

PCP Apr is hard to calculate because you’re charged interest on the GMFV also.

Just so you know dealers can’t “fudge” the figures. The APR on that particular model would be fixed.

You should look at the Tiguan Allspace if you’re after a manual. Better spec, 0 percent APR and a €2,000 deposit contribution.

Hi L-M,

Thanks for your message.

Yeah we will consider it. The other one we may look at is the Peugeot 5008.

But we love the styling of the Kodiaq and we have a Superb Sportline at the minute that has been a great car.

D.

• Advertisement
Advertisement