Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 French Open

• 26-05-2019 12:37am
    Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So haven't had any time to even think about tennis lately, but the French Open starts today apparently!

Women's draw

Men's draw

No idea what'll happen with the women, there's probably about twenty who can win it. Bertens is arguably the favourite, but that can often be a curse on the women's side of the game! I fancy Osaka making a deep run here, despite a tricky draw. She could meet Serena in the QF's, but it's a mystery as to what form Serena's in right now. Azarenka-Ostapenko could be a great match in the first round, whilst Stephens-Muguruza could be terrific in the fourth round... if Muguruza can get there.

Can't be bothered with the men's half, we all know who's winning that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

NK pulls out

I wonder are we far away from retirement?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

jr86 wrote: »
    NK pulls out

I wonder are we far away from retirement?

Hopefully not the man is a stain on the sport.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Era I'm kinda past caring about Kyrgios at this point tbh, if he doesn't care then why should we.

Kerber out to 18 year-old Potapova :o I know she's not exactly a huge fan of slow clay, but I'd still have expected her to win a couple of matches at least. Her draw was reasonably clear until the QF's. Oh well.

Tipsa and Dimi is a cracker here

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Kuznetsova out in the first round, good news for the rest of the draw. Always a big dark horse on the Parisian clay.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Fed looked pretty good today. I can't see him going past the QF though.

mzungu wrote: »
    Fed looked pretty good today. I cant see him going past the QF though.

Sonego wouldn't put it up to fed. He will stroll tomorrow too.

Wozniacki gone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I think Roger will see this as some competitive training. He knows he wont win it, but would like to get to the QF maybe. I think this is his last year at a good chance of winning Wimbledon and US. He's 38 in August.
    Rafa to win, and the next 2 years too. He will slowly catch Roger's record and, might sneak a US or Australian along the way. Novak wont be too far behind either. I'd say when they're all finished, there will be no more 2 in the difference.
    Women's draw is wide open. Possible 6 or 7 could win it, maybe Serena.

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I think Roger will see this as some competitive training. He knows he wont win it, but would like to get to the QF maybe. I think this is his last year at a good chance of winning Wimbledon and US. He's 38 in August.
    Rafa to win, and the next 2 years too. He will slowly catch Roger's record and, might sneak a US or Australian along the way. Novak wont be too far behind either. I'd say when they're all finished, there will be no more 2 in the difference.
    Women's draw is wide open. Possible 6 or 7 could win it, maybe Serena.

I don't think Rafa will win it I'm fairly confident

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I don't think Rafa will win it I'm fairly confident

I would like a Rafa vs Nadal final. I was disappointed at how the AO final turned out. It was too one-sided and not a patch of their match at Wimbledon last year.

I would like a Rafa vs Nadal final. I was disappointed at how the AO final turned out. It was too one-sided and not a patch of their match at Wimbledon last year.

Agreed, a Novak vs Djokovic final wouldn't be an appealing prospect.

Agreed, a Novak vs Djokovic final wouldn't be an appealing prospect.

:D

Oooooops.

:D

Oooooops.

I genuinely don't think Nadal will see the final honestly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Is it just me or does Barbara Schett keep on getting better looking as the years go by.

I genuinely don't think Nadal will see the final honestly.

I'll need to see a few more games of both. Hopefully a test or two comes their way over the new few rounds and that could tell a lot.

I'll need to see a few more games of both. Hopefully a test or two comes their way over the new few rounds and that could tell a lot.

I'd love Tsitsipas or Nole to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The Nike gear that Edmund was wearing yesterday was awful, who ever is designing that stuff is stealing a living.

Zverev made hard work of it against the journeyman Millman.

Doesn't look like he will be featuring for the title imo if he is playing 5-setters in the early rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

glasso wrote: »
    Zverev made hard work of it against the journeyman Millman.

Doesn't look like he will be featuring for the title imo if he is playing 5-setters in the early rounds.
    Out of all the next-gen players, Zverev is by far and away the most fustrating to watch. He has all the ability and weapons (seve, backhand, movement for a big man, even touch has improved) but can't seem to put it together and make a meaningful run at a GS. I don't know is it a mental issue or not, but you get the feeling that once he starts winning Grand Slams, he could win a few of them.

• Advertisement

Good win for Vika over Ostapenka. Would love to see Vika go on a good run in the slams. Next up for her is the winner to the Osaka match. :)

Sasha worst surface is Clay. He won't get too far. His inability to finish points is his downfall

Osaka has lost the first set 6-0.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Osaka has lost the first set 6-0.

She's 2 0 up in second but her first serve percentages are at 56% conversion on winners.

Osaka in trouble now. Schmiedlová serving for the match now.

Osaka in trouble now. Schmiedlová serving for the match now.

I'm delighted Schmiedlova been brill

Osaka break for 5 5

Some battle for this second set now, 6-6 now. Osaka wins this set and she will see out this match. I don't Schmiedlova can finish this off.

Some battle for this second set now, 6-6 now. Osaka wins this set and she will see out this match. I don't Schmiedlova can finish this off.

Don't think it that clear cut. Osaka struggling to be the aggressor and boss points.

• Advertisement

Don't think it that clear cut. Osaka struggling to be the aggressor and boss points.

It will be tight but Osaka's experience will see her through. Schmiedlova is struggling to put her away.

Osaka just broke Schmiedlova to lead 2-1 in the third.

Advertisement