Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Fitness Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

There's lots of people posting these CrossFit style workouts , deadlift , jumping over boxes , press ups , doing rounds every minute on minute. A lad told me I should be doing this instead of just lifting weights.
    I'm googling it and can't find anything definite .

For me I like my cardio to be my cardio which is swim bike and run .
    My weights aren't a sweatfest but a tough muscular workout that I'm slightly sore after.
    Should I add some of these CrossFit style workouts , I fear injury as it looks rushed.

Any opinion on what's the best weekly schedule if your deaigning a plan for someone looking to do triathlon and looking for general health well-being and some hypertrophy.? Would be what I'm currently doing 4 days cardio (swim bike run ) 3 days lifting or
    4 days cardio - 3 days doing 20-30 min workouts of the day ? Or a combination of the two

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

new2tri19 wrote: »
    There's lots of people posting these CrossFit style workouts , deadlift , jumping over boxes , press ups , doing rounds every minute on minute. A lad told me I should be doing this instead of just lifting weights.

My weights aren't a sweatfest but a tough muscular workout that I'm slightly sore after.
    Should I add some of these CrossFit style workouts , I fear injury as it looks rushed.

Any opinion on what's the best weekly schedule if your deaigning a plan for someone looking to do triathlon and looking for general health well-being and some hypertrophy.? Would be what I'm currently doing 4 days cardio (swim bike run ) 3 days lifting or
    4 days cardio - 3 days doing 20-30 min workouts of the day ? Or a combination of the two

Thanks

Your main focus is the triathlon so your training is primarily geared towards that. Fundamentally, the resistance training at this point in time, if you want it to support your triathlon training, is to be stronger so that you can perform better at the triathlon and also mitigate against injuries.

I don't know what the Crossfit style training outlined would do for you any more than normal resistance training.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Thanks

Your tri training is swim, cycle and run. Any lifting you so should be tailored towards prehab to prevent injuries.

It depends on where you are in your training cycle, how close you are to tapering off before an every on how much strength training you do. It shouldn't impact your actual tri training though, that's your priority.

IMO you should do some strength training and your tri training. Forget about things like Crossfit, it'll impact your tri training and it's not prehab to prevent injury. In fact it's an injury risk.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Your main focus is the triathlon so your training is primarily geared towards that. Fundamentally, the resistance training at this point in time, if you want it to support your triathlon training, is to be stronger so that you can perform better at the triathlon and also mitigate against injuries.

I don't know what the Crossfit style training outlined would do for you any more than normal resistance training.

Great way to injure yourself and miss a tri.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

CrossFit workouts gives an endurance athlete the worst of both worlds. Not heavy enough to provide long term strength increases, and not specific enough to your sport to improve your fitness for running, swimming, or cycling. All the while, you're massively fatiguing yourself from the high intensity nature of the workouts.

The only people who need to be doing it are recreational exercisers that simply enjoy CrossFit, or people who want to compete in it. So I'd strongly recommend avoiding your friend's advice to do CrossFit as training for triathlon.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys , I don't see the point in it myself I was thinking maybe it could be to do with muscle stamina . I had a look online lots of contradictory advice on whether CrossFit is good for you or not. I take a while to set up my squat bench and deadlift I can't imagine rushing out sets of deadlifts or them kippling pull ups they do just look so unhealthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

I had a look online lots of contradictory advice on whether CrossFit is good for you or not.

It's not.

Thanks guys , I don't see the point in it myself I was thinking maybe it could be to do with muscle stamina . I had a look online lots of contradictory advice on whether CrossFit is good for you or not. I take a while to set up my squat bench and deadlift I can't imagine rushing out sets of deadlifts or them kippling pull ups they do just look so unhealthy.

Crossfit is great for producing crossfit competitors. It's also great for people who don't do any other training or have any other goals.

It won't make you as strong as strength training. It won't get as fit for your sport as sport specific training.

I don't know what you mean by "muscle stamina"?

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Crossfit is great for producing crossfit competitors. It's also great for people who don't do any other training or have any other goals.

It won't make you as strong as strength training. It won't get as fit for your sport as sport specific training.

I don't know what you mean by "muscle stamina"?

I don't know what I mean either :) , i see the rise in popularity in CrossFit and wonder is it an area I'm neglecting. At least 2 people have mentioned to me that it's great for endurance athletes cause it's cardio and weights . I would rather keep them separate.

Yous are just confirming my belief that CrossFit is bad, the problem is when you start bulking up a bit from been a noticeably underweight triathlete people notice and everyone's an expert .

I did 3 sets of 10 deadlifts last night at 100kg and I was wrecked after it breathing hard . Followed it with some Bulgarian split squats with back leg raised on bench and just 20kg on barbell as a landmine and it also had me breathing really hard and left me tender all over today . I think I'll stick with what I'm at .thanks guys

I don't know what I mean either :) , i see the rise in popularity in CrossFit and wonder is it an area I'm neglecting. At least 2 people have mentioned to me that it's great for endurance athletes cause it's cardio and weights . I would rather keep them separate.

Yous are just confirming my belief that CrossFit is bad, the problem is when you start bulking up a bit from been a noticeably underweight triathlete people notice and everyone's an expert .

I did 3 sets of 10 deadlifts last night at 100kg and I was wrecked after it breathing hard . Followed it with some Bulgarian split squats with back leg raised on bench and just 20kg on barbell as a landmine and it also had me breathing really hard and left me tender all over today . I think I'll stick with what I'm at .thanks guys

You don't need to combine cardio and weights. It just increases your risk of injury. You can do conditioning with weights if need be but ultimately your priority is triathlon and your training in the S/B/R is what will build your CV fitness.

Keep it simple :)

• Advertisement

Don't get me wrong. Crossfit isn't bad per se, it's just not going to make you a better triathlete.

they/them/theirs

Apologies don't want to overdo my questions privileges .just a quick one I'm pretty happy with my program now I just want to make sure I'm not neglecting any areas. Also ive heard that if you run the same program your body will stop making adaptations so how often should you change it is that bro science ?

Ignoring cardio I do a 4 day program, training 3 days a week on average .

Day 1
    T1 squat 5 sets of 3
    T2 bench 3 sets of 10
    Assistance work - Bulgarian split squat 3 sets of 10 each leg .
    Lat pulldown 3 sets of 15 .
    Weighted barbell step ups 3 sets of 10 each leg.
    Deficit push ups 3 sets of 15.

Day 2
    T1 bench 5 sets of 3 or 6 sets of 2
    T2 deadlift 3 sets of 10
    Assistance work - incline bench press 3 sets of 10.
    Barbell row 3 sets of 10
    Pull ups 3 sets of 6
    Weighted dips 3 sets of 8 with 10kg plate

Day 3
    T1 deadlift 5 sets of 3
    T2 ohp 3 sets of 10
    Assistance work - barbell row 3 sets of 10
    Lat pull down 3 sets to 15
    Incline bench 3 sets of 10
    Landmine shoulder press 3 sets of 10
    I finish with abs supersetting ankle taps and weighted sit ups 45 seconds each , 3 sets .

Day 4
    T1 ohp 5x3 or 6x2 or 10x1
    T2 squat 3 sets of 10
    Assistance work - incline bench 3 X10
    Weighted step ups 3 X10 each leg
    Standing calf raises with barbell 3 x15
    Barbell shrugs 3 X 10

Is there anything glaringly obvious im missing before I start into another 3-4 months of this ? I had a rest - reset over the Christmas so planning to run this which is very similar to what I have been running already for next 12-16 weeks barring advice.
    Thanks

I would personally group things toward complimentary muscle groups and movements, and I would not recommend 2 compounds in one day.

In theory you have everything you need, its just the layout and grouping that I personally do not like.

Coybig_ wrote: »
    I would personally group things toward complimentary muscle groups and movements, and I would not recommend 2 compounds in one day.

In theory you have everything you need, its just the layout and grouping that I personally do not like.

Ive tried to do that the assistance work is supposed to support the main T1 and T2 lifts .

Regarding the 2 compounds in 1 day T1 is heavy sets of near max , the T2 is at a more manageable weight it starts at 50% of what T1 lift is .

I'm not really sure how to group it better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Is there anything glaringly obvious im missing before I start into another 3-4 months of this ? I had a rest - reset over the Christmas so planning to run this which is very similar to what I have been running already for next 12-16 weeks barring advice.
    Thanks

It looks fine to me. Keep a log and adjust the programme as needed as you begin to understand what is working and what's not. If I remember correctly, your goal at the moment is strength and muscle gain - so the most important thing is that the main movements keep progressing and your bodyweight steadily climbs.

I don't necessarily agree with that. No issue with two compounds on the same day...you just need to manage what you do.

And grouping doesn't always necessarily lend itself to frequency

Cill94 wrote: »
    It looks fine to me. Keep a log and adjust the programme as needed as you begin to understand what is working and what's not. If I remember correctly, your goal at the moment is strength and muscle gain - so the most important thing is that the main movements keep progressing and your bodyweight steadily climbs.

Yes strength and muscle gain so as I understand it the low reps at heavy weight build strength and the high reps of lower weight build muscle gain.

I'm adding weight workout to workout or making the workout harder . thanks

Apologies don't want to overdo my questions privileges .just a quick one I'm pretty happy with my program now I just want to make sure I'm not neglecting any areas. Also ive heard that if you run the same program your body will stop making adaptations so how often should you change it is that bro science ?

Day 1
    T1 squat 5 sets of 3
    T2 bench 3 sets of 10

Day 2
    T2 deadlift 3 sets of 10
    Barbell row 3 sets of 10
    Pull ups 3 sets of 6

Day 3
    T1 deadlift 5 sets of 3
    T2 ohp 3 sets of 10
    I finish with abs supersetting ankle taps and weighted sit ups 45 seconds each , 3 sets .

Day 4
    T2 squat 3 sets of 10
    Barbell shrugs 3 X 10

Thanks

Just be careful on some of the accessories. You're doing decline push ups one day and Incline bench the other three.

Day 2 has bench, Incline bench and dips.
    Day 3 has OHP, Incline bench and landmine shoulder press.
    Day 4 has OHP and Incline bench.
    I can see your shoulders being a bit annoyed by that if youre not very careful. It's a lot of volume and I'd be inclined to balance it out with more pull exercises.

I'd also just wonder if you're trying to do too much alongside the triathlon training. The weight training should complement rather than become the primary focus so just don't let the impact of the volume detract from the triathlon training

Just be careful on some of the accessories. You're doing decline push ups one day and Incline bench the other three.

Day 2 has bench, Incline bench and dips.
    Day 3 has OHP, Incline bench and landmine shoulder press.
    Day 4 has OHP and Incline bench.
    I can see your shoulders being a bit annoyed by that if youre not very careful. It's a lot of volume and I'd be inclined to balance it out with more pull exercises.

I'd also just wonder if you're trying to do too much alongside the triathlon training. The weight training should complement rather than become the primary focus so just don't let the impact of the volume detract from the triathlon training

Thanks I'll drop one or two of them in favour of dumbbell rows or maybe Romanian deadlift .

My thinking was with restrictions likely and pool closures to run this for 3 months in absence of a decent swim block , it should keep strength in the swim muscles.
    3 days a week strength leaves me 4 days to do bike and run , I double up strength training with bike training some days . It seems to he working ok from a fatigue point of view , when I start swimming properly again my plan is to drop most if not all assistance work and just do the T1 and T2 each day , along with some mobility I should be able to do it in 30 mins .

Thanks I'll drop one or two of them in favour of dumbbell rows or maybe Romanian deadlift .

My thinking was with restrictions likely and pool closures to run this for 3 months in absence of a decent swim block , it should keep strength in the swim muscles.
    3 days a week strength leaves me 4 days to do bike and run , I double up strength training with bike training some days . It seems to he working ok from a fatigue point of view , when I start swimming properly again my plan is to drop most if not all assistance work and just do the T1 and T2 each day , along with some mobility I should be able to do it in 30 mins .

I'd do either deadlift or RDL but not both just because you want the training effect without taxing yourself too much.

As regards training volume, just monitor closely specifically your tri training and see if there are any effects. Measure what you can and look for trends just so you can have a better idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I would personally group things toward complimentary muscle groups and movements, and I would not recommend 2 compounds in one day..

I can’t think of any good strength programs that have only 1 compound per day?
    I’m not even sure what you could do with such limitations.

Mellor wrote: »
    I can’t think of any good strength programs that have only 1 compound per day?
    I’m not even sure what you could do with such limitations.

Obviously I meant the main or "big three" compounds: Bench, Squat, Deadlift

I personally like to focus on one of those in a session and fill up the rest of the session with accessory and isolation work. Then again I'm working on a 3 day on 1 day off split.

And it was a personal opinion that I didn't try to back up with any fact or anything so you can feel free to ignore it.

I was also not aware of OP's triathalon work.

Obviously I meant the main or "big three" compounds: Bench, Squat, Deadlift

I personally like to focus on one of those in a session and fill up the rest of the session with accessory and isolation work. Then again I'm working on a 3 day on 1 day off split.

And it was a personal opinion that I didn't try to back up with any fact or anything so you can feel free to ignore it.

I was also not aware of OP's triathalon work.

I've often had a program with 2 of the 3 competition lifts in a training day. Looking back at my program for the March competition that didn't go ahead, two of the four days had 2 comp lifts on there.

Personal preference I get but I wouldn't necessarily someone to change their training based on personal preference.

If you only group pushing exercises with a bench workout, then you're possibly only doing pressing exercises once a week.

Better off to look at your training on a holistic level and take into account the goals, volume, intensity and frequency. It might serve you better to do a moderate level of volume and intensity twice a week rather than go hard once a week.

Day 1
    T1 squat 5 sets of 3
    T2 bench 3 sets of 10

Day 2
    T2 deadlift 3 sets of 10
    Barbell row 3 sets of 10
    Pull ups 3 sets of 6

Day 3
    T1 deadlift 5 sets of 3
    T2 ohp 3 sets of 10

Day 4
    T2 squat 3 sets of 10
    Barbell shrugs 3 X 10

Thanks

I don’t see how you can do this and not impact your tri training to be honest. It’s a nicely laid out program but how are you going to fit it in around you tri training?

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    I don’t see how you can do this and not impact your tri training to be honest. It’s a nicely laid out program but how are you going to fit it in around you tri training?

Well it's laid out there it looks like 4 days a week but it's actually only 3 . The workouts take an hour or a little over so most days I would do something else.

The triathlons are mostly aerobic work so that bulk of the training maybe 80% would be zone 2 it's not too intense . The only thing I seem to find hard is running day after intense leg work , so tempo speedwork would be done before that . I just have to be careful with when I do run and bike intervals .pretty much any day I can do a 2 hour zone 2 bike ride almost immediately after a weight session and if anything it almost helps recovery.

As I've mentioned previously with pool access been restricted / limited there's little point trying to do any decent swim block so swim is very little the odd maintenance swim here and there but I'm resigning myself to no decent swimming for next few months , hence the upper body work should help while I'm out of pool. When things get clearer I'll return to pool and drop assistance exercises and just do main T1 and T2 lifts and some single leg work to help with running and balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Well it's laid out there it looks like 4 days a week but it's actually only 3 . The workouts take an hour or a little over so most days I would do something else.

The triathlons are mostly aerobic work so that bulk of the training maybe 80% would be zone 2 it's not too intense . The only thing I seem to find hard is running day after intense leg work , so tempo speedwork would be done before that . I just have to be careful with when I do run and bike intervals .pretty much any day I can do a 2 hour zone 2 bike ride almost immediately after a weight session and if anything it almost helps recovery.

As I've mentioned previously with pool access been restricted / limited there's little point trying to do any decent swim block so swim is very little the odd maintenance swim here and there but I'm resigning myself to no decent swimming for next few months , hence the upper body work should help while I'm out of pool. When things get clearer I'll return to pool and drop assistance exercises and just do main T1 and T2 lifts and some single leg work to help with running and balance.

To do all that plus tri training plus I'm assuming working full time it will be very difficult to get enough mobility work done to prevent or manage injuries. I'd be surprised if you could do all of that and not get injured to be honest.

calfmuscle wrote: »
    To do all that plus tri training plus I'm assuming working full time it will be very difficult to get enough mobility work done to prevent or manage injuries. I'd be surprised if you could do all of that and not get injured to be honest.

Yeah am working also , the commute is a big part of training , gotta fit training around your life . Last couple of years I would alternate running and cycling to work . I'd swim at lunch time and then turbo trainer or another run later on. I did that year round . Wasn't immune to injuries but any injuries I got I could track them back to stupid training . I think it's more important what you do than the frequency , I think your less likely to get injured doing 10 hours a week of easy bike run compared to doing 2-3 hours of fast stuff .

In saying all that one of the reasons I moved to lifting was because I felt weak, I think it was a combination of overtraining and under eating and especially not eating enough protein.

It's hard to get the right balance and at a certain point more is not better. I can only go on how I feel and I feel much healthier and stronger doing weight training , if that leads to me having to drop an easy swim bike or run to fit weight training in then so be it. I am not elite by any means .

I think like a lot of things in life everything in moderation is probably the healthiest approach. And I think even if the knock on effect of more weight training results in slower times from a wellbeing point of view i think it's worth prioritising it over swim bike run. I'm 40 now and we do lose muscle mass as we age and I don't want to be taking up weight training at 50+ for the first time. A very large proportion of training partners I train with would have some form of injuries throughout the year I do really feel like the lack of weight training is a factor .

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Yeah am working also , the commute is a big part of training , gotta fit training around your life . Last couple of years I would alternate running and cycling to work . I'd swim at lunch time and then turbo trainer or another run later on. I did that year round . Wasn't immune to injuries but any injuries I got I could track them back to stupid training . I think it's more important what you do than the frequency , I think your less likely to get injured doing 10 hours a week of easy bike run compared to doing 2-3 hours of fast stuff .

In saying all that one of the reasons I moved to lifting was because I felt weak, I think it was a combination of overtraining and under eating and especially not eating enough protein.

It's hard to get the right balance and at a certain point more is not better. I can only go on how I feel and I feel much healthier and stronger doing weight training , if that leads to me having to drop an easy swim bike or run to fit weight training in then so be it. I am not elite by any means .

I think like a lot of things in life everything in moderation is probably the healthiest approach. And I think even if the knock on effect of more weight training results in slower times from a wellbeing point of view i think it's worth prioritising it over swim bike run. I'm 40 now and we do lose muscle mass as we age and I don't want to be taking up weight training at 50+ for the first time. A very large proportion of training partners I train with would have some form of injuries throughout the year I do really feel like the lack of weight training is a factor .

OK, that makes more sense, so you'll be cutting down on your tri training and focusing more on your strength training and making time for mobility? I adore strength training and all my endurance clients, that come in injured are always neglecting strength training.

I hope it works out well for you, you designed a nice program, just don't over do it!!! And do your mobility.

calfmuscle wrote: »
    OK, that makes more sense, so you'll be cutting down on your tri training and focusing more on your strength training and making time for mobility? I adore strength training and all my endurance clients, that come in injured are always neglecting strength training.

I hope it works out well for you, you designed a nice program, just don't over do it!!! And do your mobility.

Yes cutting back the junk mileage to allow for strength training. Strength training will take priority especially in off season and will be ever present.

I can't take credit for designing the plan I found it online called GZCLP. The T1 and T2 exercises and rep recommendations I've copied from there and added assistance exercises from advice I've garnered here and other places.

Thanks for your post it's helpful to be questioned because it forces you to think about what your doing. And I'm very new to strength training so I'm all ears .

• Advertisement

There's a good basis there and calfmuscle is right about mobility work just to make sure everything moves as it should. Its easy to overlook it and with squats and deadlifts in there, it's also easy to let mobility slide around the hips which could end up passing problems up and down stream to knees, lower back etc.

Aside from that, just make sure its balanced and then just monitor how it's going over time and as you start to bring back triathlon specific training

Advertisement