Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will you be working out over the Christmas period?

• 27-10-2019 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Or take a few days rest to enjoy all the festive food? Think I may work out Christmas Eve if possible and then take a few days off to consume a criminal amount of calories! What's your usual routine around Christmas time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Or take a few days rest to enjoy the festivities? Think I may work out Christmas Eve if possible and then take a few days off to consume a criminal amount of calories! What's your usual routine around Christmas time?

I train and enjoy the festivities. They're not mutually exclusive for me. There's plenty of free time to fit in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Generally I train over the hols, less guilt feeling like I’m putting the extra calories to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Just do a couple of days after the festivities as timetable tends to be quite limited.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I only go 3 times a week anyway they're not mutually exclusive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I train and enjoy the festivities. They're not mutually exclusive for me. There's plenty of free time to fit in both.

True! Changed it to festive food instead :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I never stop going to the gym but it will be closed for a few days on the main festive dates, so I'll usually go on the day they close and they day the open again. Walks in between.

I remember one year being in the gym on Christmas eve about 13:30 - it was due to close at 14. Receptionist comes on the speaker and addresses the few people around. "Alright, the gym is closing in 30 mins, it's time to stop exercising and start Christmas". :)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Ah here lads... We're still in October!!

(I still train as much as possible during Christmas, whilst enjoying the nice food. I'd go nuts otherwise)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Christmas isn't just for Christmas...

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

(I still train as much as possible during Christmas, whilst enjoying the nice food. I'd go nuts otherwise)

Thank you! I’ve only just debloated from last christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

nicest time of the year, no rush to be anywhere, no traffic, no busy times.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I'll be in raw gym christmas morning getting those vains raised , back home to push in 8000 well deserved calories !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I didn't train last year, ate everything in site and didn't put a pound on. Don't think I will be that lucky this year tho so will have to either get outdoors for a cycle/walk or go to the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,496 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

On the first day of christmas, my true love said to meee: "A PB and a dose of creatiiine"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I work in retail so most likely I'll be stuck at work till last minute on xmas eve. It doesn't help that gym is open limited hours xmas period too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Skating is my primary “work” out so for one it’s the treat I live for and time off work means more time to skate. And two the Christmas period means a chance to skate on ice, so that means lots of extra skating as I go ice skating and then assuage the inevitable disappointment of what will be an at best, mediocre skate on a badly run rink by going for a proper skate as soon as I can after.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I enjoy training sessions over the xmas period - I'll have the guts of two weeks off work and will relish any time out of the house and a break from the kids !! it helps that I tend not to drink over christmas - weird I know but I just hate packed pubs and don't drink at home !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I will, yes. I will work out at the gym when I can; the days my partner is off work to mind the kids. My gym closes on the 24th, 25th and 26th. I am trying to make a plan of some strength training I can do at home on those days (and any other days that I can't make it there) without any equipment, as I don't have any. I doubt I'll do any cardio those days, maybe some stair climbing. And then the same plan resumes after the 26th, I'll hit the gym whatever days I can if my partner is there to mind the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ll be taking a week off from the gym.. too much other stuff going on, buying presents etc. family gatherings etc... be nice too to take the foot off the pedal, rest and recuperate a little, fresh, rested and focused to kick off the new year...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FoodC

I will eat Christmas food but I am not gonna eat too much :)
    I'll work out but it is something like stretching or yoga

• Registered Users Posts: 2 workwook

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Or take a few days rest to enjoy all the festive food? Think I may work out Christmas Eve if possible and then take a few days off to consume a criminal amount of calories! What's your usual routine around Christmas time?

I think this works pretty well (not saying I'll do it, but try). So long as you don't have too much to do for travel and family. I believe it's a good idea to take a few days around the holiday.

• Advertisement

Working in retail and my training schedule goes to crap the two weeks before Christmas. I've missed two sessions this week already due to working late by several hours. Next week will be even worse. Should get back on track in the few days after Christmas when things settle down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I work out at home, so no excuses.

I don't think of days training as treats.

Diet has always been my biggest issue and I have no intention of gorging on junk now that I've sorted that out. I know perfectly well it would make me feel sick anyway so no thank you.

My recent return to training after an unfortunate 2 years absence comes with it a new attitude. If I put on muscle great but the best thing is it keeps my lower back issues at bay which is wayy more important. That's enough motivation. I feel way better about myself when I'm not overweight. Won't do anything to undo that for some idea of taking time off and relaxing. I think that whole idea is pushed by advertising that to enjoy ourselves we have to totally pig out before we return to some terrible period of dietary austerity. Nonsense.

Advertisement