Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Syrian refugee student wins state scholarship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Imagine this lady operating on your child in a few years and you say "sorry can I see your Leaving Cert results, it's just I haven't seen them published anywhere".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

She got 500 odd points, 540 I think.

I don’t know how many points you need. I know you wouldn’t get in if you didn’t meet the requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

splinter65 wrote: »
    I don’t know how many points you need. I know you wouldn’t get in if you didn’t meet the requirement.

I’ve clarified above. She didn’t get enough points.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

If that’s true then this story gets weirder and weirder

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

No, you didn't.

It is 480 for rcsi ;)

Quote:

To be eligible for consideration for an Irish or EU School Leaver place, you must:

Meet the minimum entry (matriculation) and specific subject requirements.
    Achieve a minimum of 480 points in the same sitting of the Irish Leaving Certificate examination or equivalent.
    Sit the Opens in new windowHPAT-Ireland test in the year of admission to the programme.

End of quote.

These are minimum requirements of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,466 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jaysus, an alarm must have went off some where, they are in trying to discredit the female fordiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,938 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Boggles wrote: »
    Jaysus, an alarm must have went off some where, they are in trying to discredit the female fordiner.

I'm amazed it took as long as it did. Musta been past their bedtime when OP was posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Edit: 584, it’s 729 points to qualify for RCSI. Spent 5 years in Dubai before coming here for “asylum”. Was there a war in Syria in 2010/11??

Her parents are obviously minted. It will be found out and the usuals who sit at home on their pc's all day until the dole is ready will disappear like the achill case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Best of luck to her

I’ve no issue with genuine refugees and she is one.
    When I saw this news item on RTE, I said to myself "fair play to her", and I was delighted to see a good news story like this and thought that she would probably stay in Ireland after graduating as a doctor and work here in appreciation to the country who gave her refuge; not like many of our homegrown Irish graduate doctors who emigrate for better money.
    Even though I wish her all the best it is slightly odd that the full story behind this scholarship hasn’t been told
    Where’s the transparency on this one?
    But then she mentioned her year in an Irish Direct Provision centre and said: "It was probably the hardest time of my life. Those nine months, I’ve kind of blocked them out." (Quote from the Irish Times).
    I immediately thought about the horrible war she and her family were fleeing in Syria; was not that worse than an Irish DP centre? Was she being bombed and terrorised and at risk of her life in this DP centre?

She and her parents were living in one of the wealthiest (and expensive) countries on the planet for 3 years before the mother and daughter came to Ireland for asylum. Her father worked away in the UAE while they were in Ireland. Both of her parents are engineers. It also seems that the RCSI have a presence in the UAE, but the fees are high there, as you can imagine for the UAE.

I was hopeful that when I first saw the story that the girl had arrived from war-torn Syria, worked hard at school here, and deservedly received a scholarship for her studies at the Royal College of Surgeons Ireland. Maybe they were persecuted during their 3 years in the UAE, but I'm sure she would have mentioned it ............... as it would have probably been worse than living one year in an Irish DP centre.

Don't know if we are getting the full story here, but I'm sure that the Irish Times and RTE will tease it out .........

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I was hoping to just wish her well and leave it at that

Then I read this thread.

very valid pertinent questions raised need to be addressed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Some irish people are just fcuking weird, outraged over a foreign girl getting a scholarship, fcuking hell!
    no one is "outraged" that the kid got a scholarship. People are however resistant to blatant spin. At a time when there is resistance to DP centres around the country, this just happens to make the front page of several national newspapers? Come on. People dont like being manipulated. I wish this girl and her family all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I was hoping to just wish her well and leave it at that

Then I read this thread.

very valid pertinent questions raised need to be addressed

Yes, the media never tell the full story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭ Lainey Wrong Theorem

Amagad, they durk ur skalushurps!

Best of luck to her, I hope she does well and finds happiness here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

no one is "outraged" that the kid got a scholarship. People are however resistant to blatant spin. At a time when there is resistance to DP centres around the country, this just happens to make the front page of several national newspapers? Come on. People dont like being manipulated. I wish this girl and her family all the best.

humans have always been manipulated, and we always will be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭1641

Edit: 584, it’s 729 points to qualify for RCSI. Spent 5 years in Dubai before coming here for “asylum”. Was there a war in Syria in 2010/11??

729 combined Leaving Cert and HPAT points.

The report is that they fled Syria in 2011. The war started in Spring/Summer 2011.

She entered this country legally under the sylum system.

Are you wanting to rerun the asylum vetting process? I thought your "only problem" was with illegal immigrants?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

UAE are forcing Syrian's who fled the war out since last year, it'd still be unsafe for some Syrian's to return to Syria now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

For those interested these are the details of the bursary she received.

https://www.education.ie/en/Learners/Services/Scholarships/the-professor-campbell-bursary-scheme.pdf

The bursary is only for those that have been accepted to a relevant course of study. She did not get her place in RCSI because of the bursary, she got the bursary because she had a place in RCSI.

1641 wrote: »
    Are you wanting to rerun the asylum vetting process? I thought your "only problem" was with illegal immigrants?

That is the veil, occasionally it slips, see this thread for evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Lets tow the line and live with it is what you're saying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Who gives a damn where she comes from our what her background is. She earned it based on whatever the requirements were. Good for her and let's get on with it.

If the newspaper chooses to write/account for her in a questionable way it's on them. There is a million angles on everything. The important facts of her achievement don't change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭1641

Criteria for the William Campbell bursary:

"Each candidate must submit a completed application form and provide evidence from the CAO that he/she has applied for a Zoology, Medicine, Physiology or Biomedical Sciencescourse as their first choice.Third level courses of four or more year’s duration, listed as Zoology, Medicine, Physiology or Biomedical Sciencescourses on the careers portal link and pursued at a publicly funded Higher Education institution will be considered.To be awarded a bursary a student must be accepted on to and be attending a course that meets these criteria."

"3.The Order of Merit
    The Professor William C Campbell bursaries, shall be awarded to the eligible candidate who has made an application which meets the approved course criteria outlined above, and who has the highest number of marks on their exam papers in any combination of two science subjects counted for CAO purposes, one of which must be biology. In the event of two or more candidates being considered of equal standard the order of merit be determined by reference to the performance of the candidate in all six best subjects. If the total marks achieved by two or more candidates remainthe same, the order of merit shall be determined by reference to the candidates’ achievement in his/her best subject."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Lewis Creamy Stepdaughter

A similar singular story would be that I met a largely illiterate Syrian lad in his late 20's at the local corner shop signalling for me to buy him a box of eggs.
    Bought him the 'charity eggs box' after working out wha he wanted (after much hand signaling) and mumbling. Felt sorry for the chap, what sort of bright future does he herald one wonders?

Whilst this singular scholarship story (using the Irish education system, including additional free resources, extra classes and after-school supports), is positive
    - it's not really relevant to current conditions this year.

i.e. This year Syrian's (war mostly over now) don't even feature in the top 5 sources of applicants for IPO.
    Instead (non-war) torn countries such as Albania (nearly 25% of all applicants across recent months), have 99.97% rejection (but not removal) rates.
    Georgia is 2nd, then places like Zimbabwe, South Africa, Nigeria and Pakistan. All with high rejection rates (simple economic/fiscal migration trends).

Ideally vulnerable families and youngsters (such as this lady) should be given preference, so they have the best chances of integration.
    However most applicants currently are single men, and the very high rejection rates indicate they are not genuine, and thus are taking the resources and processing efforts, that genuine applicants could have avaiiled of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭enricoh

So she wasn't fleeing war torn syria at all, she was living in dubai for a few years ffs.

What was she fleeing dubai to claim asylum in ireland for? The oppressive heat in summer?! Makes no odds, the irish media will lap it up.

A similar singular story would be that I met a largely illiterate Syrian lad in his late 20's at the local corner shop signalling for me to buy him a box of eggs.
    Bought him the 'charity eggs box' after working out wha he wanted (after much hand signaling) and mumbling. Felt sorry for the chap, what sort of bright future does he herald one wonders?

Jaysus you have expanded your "story". This is the lad you met that pointed at eggs for 10 minutes but you couldn't figure out what he wanted? :pac:

How did you know he was "largely illiterate"?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

correct but when it's this lazy it gets called out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Congratulations to the girl and her family.

I don't know about the terms of her family's stay in the UAE but I doubt that a stable and secure future with full rights was on offer there.

Assisting her and her family is exactly the sort of thing our asylum system should be doing.

Worth noting that every fraudulent asylum seeker from a safe country who interminably clogs up the system with years of appeals and the like consumes resources, and public goodwill, that could be used to assist people in genuine need like this woman and her family.

I see no contradiction between criticising fraudulent asylum seekers and congratulating this woman, in fact the contradiction lies with those who conflate the two as a shared cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Lewis Creamy Stepdaughter

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    I see no contradiction between criticising fraudulent asylum seekers and congratulating this woman, in fact the contradiction lies with those who conflate the two as a shared cause.
    Totally agree, genuine cases should be helped. Fraudulent, illegal, expensive, opportunistic economic migrants should be addressed.

Some supporters simply have vested fiscal/contractual interests in the industry. The mind 'Boggles' as to exactly why they would supoprt 99.97% type rejection raters clogging up the system at the expense of genuine in-need cases. The media also should consider the wider picture of this irregularity, instead of lazy spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Fair play to her

A very good achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Coming over here, taking our eggs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

UAE are forcing Syrian's who fled the war out since last year, it'd still be unsafe for some Syrian's to return to Syria now.

She's been here 3/4 years. Her father remained in Dubai working. Why didn't her parents (who are both highly educated engineers) apply for a Critical Skills visa while in Dubai? There would have been no need for the "nightmare" that was DP. Engineering Professionals is one of the critical skills that can get visa's.

Something seems off with this.

Advertisement