Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Cutbacks The Plan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Bob Harris wrote: »
    It's now 495k but will be reduced by 15% bringing it to 420k after this proposed cut. So it's just over 300k.

Fair enough, I didn't factor the latest cut in - 420k is still 4 times more than he should be earning. If he doesn't like it, then he can fukc off.

Any eejit can do the late late and it will still be watched by the same crowd, does anybody under 50 actually watch it? This week Ryan interviews Marty Morrissey, next week it is Anne Doyle, followed by some other RTE celeb who is doing a 5k for charity. It is absolute drivel of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Virgin Media don't need a license and are starting to move ahead of RTE in terms of watchability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Virgin Media don't need a license and are starting to move ahead of RTE in terms of watchability.

Only if you are blind! It's ITV with a worse picture quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Only if you are blind! It's ITV with a worse picture quality.

The HD is sold to sky and the likes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Vastly reduce the fees paid to the likes of Ray Darcy joe Duffy, tubridy etc. they are not good value for money, quite the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Still hanging on to RTE2 and 2FM for some reason

They get paid monthly subscriptions

Fair enough, I didn't factor the latest cut in - 420k is still 4 times more than he should be earning. If he doesn't like it, then he can fukc off.

Any eejit can do the late late and it will still be watched by the same crowd, does anybody under 50 actually watch it? This week Ryan interviews Marty Morrissey, next week it is Anne Doyle, followed by some other RTE celeb who is doing a 5k for charity. It is absolute drivel of the highest order.

So you could do the late late?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

lawred2 wrote: »
    Still hanging on to RTE2 and 2FM for some reason

If they got rid of these, then where are the kids of the upper levels going to get jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭eusap

Will somebody think of the children of Ireland they are shutting down the RTE Junior radio station.

I have a UK import car with a DAB radio so having RTE Jnr in the car was perfect also at home it is the most listened to radio station on the smart speaker..... Now i will have to be prepared and create my own spotify playlist

Considering most of the content was bought in (often american) surely the cost is not that high, i was always surprised there was little advertisement considering Kids TV is full of ads

• Advertisement

Agree. There is a hardcore of late late and indeed RTÉ viewers. They lap up any old drivel featuring the same merry go round of “personalities” such as

Francis Brennan
    Marty morissey
    Pat short
    Louie welsh
    Twink
    Mary. O rourke
    Any number of dreadful country and Irish “stars”

It’s tired stale stupid tv. It’s drivel as the other poster says.

If they got rid of these, then where are the kids of the upper levels going to get jobs?

Researchers for the late late

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Doireann Gahirty, Bernard o Shea, Vogue ... Huberman Ray Darcy , Jennifer Maguire, eoin McDermott.... most of these planks need to be culled and whomever gave them shows needs to be booted

The idea that vouge williams opening her giant mouth is worth money is the most offensive opinion in irish media

• Registered Users Posts: 39,502 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Does anybody outside of RTE want Ray Darcy? Highly unlikely - so offer him 40k a year.

:confused:

He came from private broadcasting where he had the most listened to show in the stations history and still holds that record.

His current show beats every show on Newstalk and Todayfm for listenership figures.

So I would suggest you are someway past wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Won’t anybody think of tubs,Marian and friends - now going to be on the bread line

What will her 17 kids get for Xmas now?

Boggles wrote: »
    :confused:

He came from private broadcasting where he had the most listened to show in the stations history and still holds that record.

His current show beats every show on Newstalk and Todayfm for listenership figures.

So I would suggest you are someway past wrong.

I fully agree. Call his bluff. Ppl despise him and his little entourage - will and the wife. Get rid of dead wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Bryan Dobson asking a few difficult questions of Dee Forbes a moment ago on Radio 1. Quite surprised, was expecting PR piece.

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Bryan Dobson asking a few difficult questions of Dee Forbes a moment ago on Radio 1. Quite surprised, was expecting PR piece.

That interview was symptomatic of RTÉs problems. No need to take up almost half an hour on morning irl discussing the details of the deal.

‘Twas more suited to questions in the canteen but of course RTÉ staff are so important don’t ya know!!

If it was literally any other organization morning Ireland would’ve done 5 mins tops discussing the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

a saving of 400k a year out of 3 million from all the top "earners"

absolute joke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Brian is on 200k a year and is right in the firing line for this.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,502 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I fully agree. Call his bluff. Ppl despise him and his little entourage - will and the wife. Get rid of dead wood.

You mean you despise them.

Making business decisions on the back of random peoples personal opinions would be the work of the abject simpleton.

I was willing to give Dee a chance, my faith waned a little but I think she is going in the right direction with this package of measures.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Tubridy's salary was 723k in 2011. 8 years later and it'll be not much more than half that.
    Still a generous salary but from his point of view it has to sting a bit losing just over 300k per year in that time.

Hope he realises that the reduction reflects the quality of his output.

A lot of people have DAB only radios. This will leave a lot of people without radio.

Hired a van a couple of years ago and it only seemed to have dab radio.

Boggles wrote: »
    You mean you despise them.

Making business decisions on the back of random peoples personal opinions would be the work of the abject simpleton.

I was willing to give Dee a chance, my faith waned a little but I think she is going in the right direction with this package of measures.

Boggles my dear I don’t hate nor despise anyone!

But I do know a huge proportion of RTÉ listeners are absolutely amazed the money that has been thrown at ray Darcy for his simpleton level radio and tv shows. The wife and will profiting along with him

elfy4eva wrote: »
    Here's RTÉ's article on the subject, much of the same but the two paragraphs I glean from it besides the cuts are Dee Forbes and Moya Doherty whinging for the government to show leadership on a "reform" of the "broken" TV licence system. It's the same tune from them but funny to see them speak in riddles to avoid the backlash.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/1106/1089209-rte-cuts/

I read an article elsewhere, and it mentions who the boats of rte are not happy with the performance of the executives and their half assed attempts to save the station. Can remember which outlet it was though.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

im not one for job losses, but RTE service is rubbish, there is nothing bar the news the odd time we watch & primetime, aside from that there is nothing but junk , which a leg up for the so called socialites and their businesses, and the overpaid presenters etc. We watch mostly foreign tv, id say 99% & knitlfix

a completely repugnant and greedy sloth of broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,820 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A lot of people have DAB only radios. This will leave a lot of people without radio.

Is DAB not on life support anyway? Surely it's days are numbered with internet radio and Alexa's etc and other simpler ways of listening to radio?

I bought a DAB radio for quite a bit of money for a simple radio :eek: and it never worked, sitting at the back of press somewhere.

“Paddy o Gorman goes out with stags and hens in carrick on Shannon”

Ffs. Such tripe RTÉ serve

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Why can't they put the presenters on a base salary and then give them a profit share agreement?? Have a good show that people watch/listen to then you get more money otherwise you just get the basic. George Hamilton on 200 jumps out at me, theres loads of people that would do that job better for free.

1 thing that i do agree with RTE on is the license fee collection, why does it cost so much and why is there so much avoidance? The UK has a 3.6% collection charge and 5% avoidance thats what should be targeted numbers, if An Post cant deliver that I'm sures there's plenty who will.

By the way, I'm not a license fee fan but its in place so it should be enforce/collected correctly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Minister Heather Humphries? getting roasted by Audrey next.

WHERE IS OUR LICENCE FEE

Advertisement