Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arachnophobia

Options
  • 24-09-2019 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭

I've never liked spiders all that much but would act brave for the kids sake and catch them with a cup and a piece of cardboard and free them and say they are great don't be scared, rather than just stamping on the little bastards..

Anyway this season I've seen some huuuge ones. Last night I was collecting my missus and my 10 year old daughter from the Ariana Grande concert and the biggest spider I've ever seen walked up the windscreen while we were stuck in traffic.

Tonight my daughter was on her way to bed and she called me and said their was a spider on the landing. And it was a giant. I done my usual and caught it, whilst almost pooing my pant and freed his outside of the garden. Then I went back in to the house and she said theirs another one! And it was but this bastard got away under the door when I tried to catch it. I went into the room it entered and couldn't find him but told my daughter I caught it and put it out the window.
    I don't know how I'm gonna sleep never mind her haha.

So has anyone else noticed the increase in giant spiders around? Im in suburban Dublin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Lots of them around this time of year. Lovely cute little things. Wouldn't harm a fly.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The time of year, they come in now it's getting cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,333 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The time of year, they come in now it's getting cooler.

And it's unfair to put them back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Those long legged ****ers with wings are everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

What a funny story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They're more afraid of you than you are of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I stepped into a bath the other day and suddenly a big black spider is in there with me, struggling to climb onto what every island it could seek shelter on, and it wasn't near my two knees.. no it has set it's sights on '' man island'' I jumped out so fast, thankfully it stayed in bath , washing off me as I jumped out

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I stepped into a bath the other day and suddenly a big black spider is in there with me, struggling to climb onto what every island it could seek shelter on, and it wasn't near my two knees.. no it has set it's sights on '' man island'' I jumped out so fast, thankfully it stayed in bath , washing off me as I jumped out

More of a peninsula.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Those long legged ****ers with wings are everywhere

Crane flies, they don't bother me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

They're more afraid of you than you are of them.
      yeah I doubt these mossters are. I was painting the house recently and I disturbed a big one and I was trying to get it to move with my scrapper and the bastard turned around and stuck it up to the scraper:o

1. Advertisement
    2. Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

More of a peninsula.

I took a picture, of Spider that is . Still in water in pic

3. Registered Users Posts: 27,873 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I am afraid if the spiders break our non aggression treaty and emerge from dark corners into the bedroom or bathroom the hoover has to be deployed in response.

* ripped from The Daily Mash

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

4. Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I took a picture, of Spider that is . Still in water in pic
      The ones I seen were the same type. I used a travel mug to trap it and it barely fit over it.

5. Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

odyssey06 wrote: »
      I am afraid if the spiders break our non aggression treaty and emerge from dark corners into the bedroom or bathroom the hoover has to be deployed in response.

* ripped from The Daily Mash
      Actually I've a battery powered hoover, it's coming to bed with me tonight thanks:D

6. Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Great film.

7. Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

iamtony wrote: »
      The ones I seen were the same type. I used a travel mug to trap it and it barely fit over it.

I used an empty bottle of shower gel, squeezed bottle, then placed it over spider in bath, released the squeeze on bottle and it created a vacuum to suck the spider up.

8. Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I used an empty bottle of shower gel, squeezed bottle, then placed it over spider in bath, released the squeeze on bottle and it created a vacuum to suck the spider up.

Ingenious hahahaha

9. Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I tried to put a spider out last night and it put me in a half Nelson and pushed me out the front door.
      Had to spend the night in my mother’s, the face on the wife this morning, like she was in a dream, walking a bit funny too.

Son got every question right in his maths homework.

10. Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I'll pay you 100 quid to go into your garden shed at night this month. Have a look around with a torch and try not to scream.

11. Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

You brought it outside? I'd have killed it with a shoe.

12. Advertisement
    13. Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Awful lot of wusses, would chuck a spider out without a second thought. Ye wouldn't last 5 mins in a country with serious wildlife.

14. Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Hate the things. I'm a grown man but damn it there are usually three or four giant feckers every year and have been known to scream like a little girl and run faster than Usain Bolt. Giant House Spider is the official name and they are quite literally the fastest of any species of spider moving at a METRE every two seconds. They'd be fascinating if not so viscerally terrifying.

I use an airsoft gun to get rid of them. Stunningly effective and doesn't damage the walls. There is nothing worse than seeing one and trying to reach it with a fly swatter before it jumps on top of your head.
      It can be a tiny bit messy on the smaller ones, they can,, well, explode. But the biggest are easy to hit at least.

15. Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

They are quite the size alright. Pint glass over them and outside. They are apparently harmless, but God, they are awful looking fcukers.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

16. Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

iamtony wrote: »
      Ingenious hahahaha

When you are naked and afraid you have to become MacGyver, had to work with what I had.

17. Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

There's an ultrasonic plug-in gadget you can get for about €20, worked so far in my cellar, getting another for upstairs, hate the things.

18. Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

When you are naked and afraid you have to become MacGyver, had to work with what I had.

Makes perfect sense. Once the instincts kick in its amazing what you will think off:cool:

19. Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

They say on average we eat 7 spiders per year in our sleep. If it was these things I'd be obese from that many.

Anyway lock your windows and doors folks they are coming for us all:pac:

20. Registered Users Posts: 24,806 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

giphy.gif

21. Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

A scene from the 1957 science fiction film The Incredible Shrinking Man, will probably give some of you the creeps, his fight with a giant spider.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzm8f

ISM-6-1024x702.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

22. Advertisement
    23. Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I had one of those giant-legged spiders walk over me tonight while I was watching tv. He climbed over one leg and then over the other and then went somewhere else on the couch. He's more than welcome to go wherever the hell he likes in here. And all of his relatives are also welcome.

Apart from the False Widow, there are no bad spiders in Ireland. Even the FW is quite timid and its bite is just more of an irritation.

This time of year there are a lot of spiders looking for love and a place to play. Leave them to it and in a week or two they'll be gone.

#LetSpidersLove

Advertisement