Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Honesty' water - do you pay?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭tjhook

I know scum of the earth they are. Jehovah!

What is your problem anyway? Do you think they'd put them out on shelves for people to take on 'honesty' if they didn't exactly know what they were doing?

Fkn super squares...

Yeah, anybody who doesn't have their stuff locked down obviously wants it to be stolen.

This is why we can't have nice things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Calling non payers thieves is a bit ridiculous too btw.

But it's the very definition of stealing!

What else should we call them? Scumbags? A$$holes? Cúnts? Pricks? Knackbags?
    I’m not paying. Between airport charges and car parking theft they get enough from me. If they expected people to pay they wouldn’t put them out like that either.

If you are so broke that you have to resort to stealing bottles of water, then maybe you need to accept that you can't afford the holiday and go on a cheaper holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

tjhook wrote: »
    Yeah, anybody who doesn't have their stuff locked down obviously wants it to be stolen.

This is why we can't have nice things.

You don’t get it I think no offense.
    I would be a pretty straight and honest guy. I would never steal. I just don’t consider THiIS stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I pay the €1 for warm water and then switch it for cold in the nearest shop...simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭carq

GreeBo wrote: »
    I pay the €1 for warm water and then switch it for cold in the nearest shop...simples!

BUT YOU ARE STEALING FROM THE SHOP. THEY PAID ELECTRICITY TO COOL THAT WATER DOWN. SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

raw

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

if they didnt want it taken they shouldnt have left it out for people to take.

Trust in god, but lock your car

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭tjhook

You don’t get it I think no offense.
    I would be a pretty straight and honest guy. I would never steal. I just don’t consider THiIS stealing.

Because the method of payments is something other than a frowny person at a cash register?

Would you consider it stealing if the payment method was one of those automated scanners you get in Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Haha scum is a slight over reaction.
    Noone has yet told me why we do this in McDonalds and not in our local restaurant.
    Is it to ensure McDonalds earn more by needing less staff?
    I would note that McDonalds don't ask people to clean their tables (but I am sure they are delighted that people do).

Or do we respect corporates more than small self employed individuals?

It's been mentioned a couple of times more or less.

The likes of TGIs and other casual dining places as well as traditional restaurants are full service establishments that provide a server that will take you to a clean table, take your order, bring the food to your table, check to see everything is fine etc and this includes clearing the table at the end of your meal and we generally pay more for this service and give an appropriate tip if the service was good.

McDonalds, KFC and most major fast food outlets don't fall in to this category and are generally a lot cheaper and while the staff will clean up after you, the whole experience is really self service, you won't be shown to your seat, your food won't be brought to you, and generally you are expected to throw away your own rubbish also, this is just common courtesy and part of the minimalist/basic experience if you choose to eat somewhere like this. If you're in a very busy fast food place and don't clean up after yourself, that's a d!ck move imo as chances are that the next person looking for a spot will either have to clean your mess or push it to the side as they don't have dedicated person to do this job like traditional restaurants.

TL:DR Fast food restaurants generally don't hire waiters/waitresses, other restaurants in a higher tier category do, and this is part of the reason you typically pay more at these restaurants. Beggars belief that it needs to be explained tbh, it's akin to asking why don't we tip the cashier in McDonalds.

• Advertisement

tjhook wrote: »
    Because the method of payments is something other than a frowny person at a cash register?

Would you consider it stealing if the payment method was one of those automated scanners you get in Tesco?

I would because clearly payment is expected. In this case I dont feel it is.

If only for one reason, they dont accept legal tender as in I can only pay with the precise amount of cash, no cards no change. What if you need water but you only have tenner on you? Would you stick in the tenner?

I will accept that it is a grey area and some people will feel this way and some will feel differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ah lads what a bunch of super squares ye are.

I reckon its an 'honesty' thing for a reason. Probably cheaper than hiring someone with a stall to sell them proper. They know they can rely on the squares.

Stick it to the man, Daddy O.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Tips are a different topic and are paid on the assumption of low paid work which is negated in Ireland by minimum wage legislation.

These places are cheaper due to economies of scale and squeezing supply chains.

Imagine if noone cleaned up after themselves. Then the restaurants would be forced to hire someone to do it or face empty (and dirty) establishments. Would the price of your food go up? Probably not as the extra costs would be negligible.

Was in Star Pizza on Talbot Street today. Order at counter, sit where you like, no trays. Are the customers supposed to clean up there? It is cheaper than Supermacs next door but has no signs telling people to clean up (like Supermacs) and no bins in which to put rubbish.

If McDs or the like want people to clean their tables then why not put up a sign? It is because they don't really need you to but are happy enough to be able to benefit from the cost saving from people who do.

So again, why are we more concerned with McDs profits than Star Pizza?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

But why those ones and not Eddie Rockets for example. Where is the line? Also why do none of those places ask customers to clean up after themselves?
    Is it actually an expectation of the company or is it just one of those things that some people do like thanking a bus driver?

Why would we do it? Is it because the food is cheap? Are we trying to keep costs down for McDonalds but don't give a crap about TGI Friday's?

Genuinely interested in the logic here given the strongly worded post that initiated this aside.

Jesus wept. The answer to your question about the line is ... a tray.

If an establishment provides your food on a tray and the tray is left on the table then the level of effort required to be polite is minimal (at worst). You simply place the trash on the tray and tip the contents into the over sized bin. Then place the tray on top.

Anywhere which doesn't supply a tray makes it unrealistic to bring bowls or plates to a counter. Eddie Rockets being an example.

I'm actually embarrassed for you that basic common sense stuff like that needs to be explained in excruciating detail.

Water is put out with a price tag of £1 and an expectation that people won't disregard that price tag. Just because no one is supervising it doesn't mean the price tag no longer applies. It's still got a £1 price. So I pay the £1.

I don't consider it a personal triumph to get away with stealing the water, or an endorsement of my innate holier than thou'ness if I pay it. It's got a price like most things including peoples honesty, which is pretty cheap if you've got a £1 tag.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

hightower1 wrote: »
    Jesus wept. The answer to your question about the line is ... a tray.

If an establishment provides your food on a tray and the tray is left on the table then the level of effort required to be polite is minimal (at worst). You simply place the trash on the tray and tip the contents into the over sized bin. Then place the tray on top.

Anywhere which doesn't supply a tray makes it unrealistic to bring bowls or plates to a counter. Eddie Rockets being an example.

I'm actually embarrassed for you that basic common sense stuff like that needs to be explained in excruciating detail.

Did you even read my examples of when a tray is not provided. You also ignored my actual question as to why? Noone seems to be able to articulate it than mumble mumble disgusting something or other.

I will give my example again as you missed it.

Charlie's I would always bring my plate back to the counter. No tray and meal delivered at your table.
    Carveries you would have a tray but waiter would clear table.
    So again why one and not the other. Is it only the multi national huge chains where you arbitrarily decided that clean up is required?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

kweeveen86 wrote: »
    Every time I'm in Dublin airport, I get a great little buzz out of picking up a couple of bottles of 'honesty' water and putting in a 1 cent coin, just so that there's the tell-tale, signatute sound of a payment being made...but I get a 99.5% discount.

My girlfriend, on the other hand, is very honest and conscientious and would always pay full price - even if there was nobody anywhere nearby to see her just take the bottle.

What are people's thoughts on this? What percentage of people are immoral and unscrupulous like me?! :-)

So you're a thief?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Charlie's I would always bring my plate back to the counter. No tray and meal delivered at your table.
    Carveries you would have a tray but waiter would clear table.
    So again why one and not the other. Is it only the multi national huge chains where you arbitrarily decided that clean up is required?

Not being from an area with a "Charlies" I can't speak to that specific establishment however as I pointed out... Where a tray is not left it's unrealistic to bring trash / bowls / cutlery back to a counter.

If one is at a carvery with a tray left then place your trash on the tray. If there's a counter then leave you trash there on the tray there. If no tray is left refer to my earlier rule.

Common sense really. Not arbitrary at all it seems.

Pretty simple stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Tips are a different topic and are paid on the assumption of low paid work which is negated in Ireland by minimum wage legislation.

I know tipping is more prominent in the states but are you saying you would never ever tip in a restaurant here? If the answer is you would tip, than you could make the same illogical argument about tipping McDonalds cashiers. If you never tip? To me that would be slightly miserable, particularly if you got great service.
    So again, why are we more concerned with McDs profits than Star Pizza?

No one cares about McDonalds profits, if Star Pizza don't have bins that's on them, most stand alone pizza slice type places do in my experience. The reason people do it is because it's the decent and normal thing to do in these types of places, it's just good manners, whether it's a fast food giant or a little chipper or kebab place. Just because you've picked out one place that doesn't have a bin doesn't mean none of them do.

To be honest, it seems like you're trolling a bit. When the difference between fast food places and actual restaurants was explained to you, you just started changing your examples without acknowledging the facts.

dotsman wrote: »
    But it's the very definition of stealing!

What else should we call them? Scumbags? A$$holes? Cúnts? Pricks? Knackbags?

If you are so broke that you have to resort to stealing bottles of water, then maybe you need to accept that you can't afford the holiday and go on a cheaper holiday.

Easy... you're losing it. It's a bottle of water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Easy... you're losing it. It's a bottle of water.

So pay for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There are water fountains in Dublin airport. Why would anyone buy it?

Or am I mixing it up with another airport??
    The water fountain is to the right of said bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He underpaid for water ffs he didn't abuse a child.

He didnt "underpay", he stole it.

How many people on here saying they dont pay or throw a few cent in to the box would steal a bottle from a shop?

Is the only thing that stops you being a thief the fact that someone is there that might catch you? The person on minimum wage at the counter most likely wont chase you out of the shop and drag you to the Garda station, so why not just steal the whole time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Surely if you are thirsty and you don''t want to pay you can just bring an empty bottle and fill in the jacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Surely if you are thirsty and you don''t want to pay you can just bring an empty bottle and fill in the jacks?

AFAIK there are free water taps in DUB airport, no need for jacks water I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I pay for it because it is charged at a reasonable price of €1 unlike the other retail outlets operating within the airport or on board the plane

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I pay for it because it is charged at a reasonable price of €1 unlike the other retail outlets operating within the airport or on board the plane

Was in FRA recently and water just after security was €4 a bottle. Pure robbery that. I applaud DUB for this initiative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I just take it, it's in plastic. If it was in a can I'd pay the rrp.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

vicwatson wrote: »
    Was in FRA recently and water just after security was €4 a bottle. Pure robbery that. I applaud DUB for this initiative.

Indeed. Anything that costs only a Euro in an airport is a bargain. One that won’t continue if people take the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

RasTa wrote: »
    I just take it, it's in plastic. If it was in a can I'd pay the rrp.

What’s the logic behind that? Genuine question.

Advertisement