Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sh!t that makes you feel old.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

When you explain to a teenager how you used to have to leave your house of an evening to rent a copy of a film on a "tape" or a "disk" and bring it home with you to watch. Then go back with it the next day. Added mind blow points when you mention about having to rewind a VHS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Ger Roe wrote: »
    When a 26 year old person asks you to explain how Northern Ireland works -

'They don't use our money up there, do they? .... why is it not part of the republic? .... What makes certain areas unsafe?....What was the I.R.A.?' !!!!!'

Seriously! what are they teaching in schools these days?.... and the dept of Ed is looking to remove history as a compulsory subject in senior cycle????

We will end up with a generation of 'experts' on the history of nothing but youtube influencers and 'reality' television programmes :rolleyes:

(The above rant is another aspect that makes me feel old.... I tend to get grumpier with each birthday that passes).

They're Educating todays children on Personal Hygene, Healthy Eating, The Dangers of the Internet, The Birds and the Bees, What is or isn't approopriate to say or do to another person, Manners . . . . .
    You know - basically the things that our parents taught us..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

The first time the barber offered to trim my eyebrows for me after a haircut...I refused on principle, but he wasn't wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I have a copy of home alone on VCR. Oh god I'm old.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The first time the barber offered to trim my eyebrows for me after a haircut...I refused on principle, but he wasn't wrong!

Is this a new thing? Got asked the same, for the first time, the last time I got a haircut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Is this a new thing? Got asked the same thing, for the first time, the last time I got a haircut.

Well I initially presumed it was because I'm on the continent, and it's one of those continental things, but no. It's an age thing! I remember as a kid being amazed that the barber in Limerick my grandad went to also used to trim the ears....thankfully I haven't reached that stage yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Comhra wrote: »
    Taking a load of my CDs into the charity shop.

Will they actually take them? I gave the last lot that I pruned to the library, but that was about ten years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

When the kids of my friends are having their 21th birthdays.
    Getting refused entry to underage discos.
    I never got to go to an underage disco! My friends all did, and it's not as if I wasn't allowed. I went to over-18s discos when I was underage, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They're Educating todays children on Personal Hygene, Healthy Eating, The Dangers of the Internet, The Birds and the Bees, What is or isn't approopriate to say or do to another person, Manners . . . . .
    You know - basically the things that our parents thought us..
    I think its pretty apparent that parents have been doing a really ****ty job of teaching the above stuff since time immemorial, it's about time someone competent stepped in.
    No end of smelly, fat, stupid, rude perverts out there. Clearly got a great education at Mammy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I realised I was old about 12 years ago. In the Foundry nightclub in Carlow. A group of us were chatting and I ended up talking to a young wan. It really is a kick in the ba11s when a young wan in a nightclub says to you "oh yeah I know you, you went to school with my Mam".

That's the last time I ever set foot in a nightclub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Agricola wrote: »
    When you explain to a teenager how you used to have to leave your house of an evening to rent a copy of a film on a "tape" or a "disk" and bring it home with you to watch. Then go back with it the next day. Added mind blow points when you mention about having to rewind a VHS.
    And you actually bought life membership of the Video Shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

A strange one but when you see people in their 60s and older being a total whizz at technology, downloading apps, using Cloud etc, an expert in Siri and so on. Even though im young, I only use technology on an "as needed" basis so im always feeling crap when I see someone older than my father editing, cropping and sharing photos on their iPhone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

Finding a good stick for stirring paint :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

When you first realise the prescription that the doctor has just given you is the same as your parent used to take when they were old

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Talking to my co-workers (All in their early/mid 30's):

Lads, when I was born they were still sending people to the moon!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    Listening back to music from the 90s.

Listening back to music from the 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I had to explain a B Side to a twenty something the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

not to mention 12" singles and cassettes and cinemas that had only one screen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

harr wrote: »
    For me it definitely the two day hangover even after only a few beers and checking the death notices and unfortunately starting to see familiar names ... I’m only in my mid 40,s.

I remember a neighbour saying you know your getting old when you know more inside the gate than outside, as we drove by the graveyard.

He is in there as well now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Saying ‘stop the lights’.... and knowing the origin of that phrase because I watched the show in the 70s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

A relative starting secondary school in September.

Said relative, born in 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Said relative, born in 2005.

Jaysus, that's the year seamusk84 graduated!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Was listening to the radio on the drive up to work the other day and the presenters were having a debate about Mr Ed and whether it was a thing. At least one of them had never heard of the show. I'm almost mid-40s now but still!

I spent a few years in Holland as a kid and back then Sky was one channel, and aired a lot of shows of that vintage: Green Acres, My Favourite Martian, Lost in Space, The Green Hornet etc (pro-tip: Forces TV on Sky/Freesat is good for the classics!)

In case any of the kids here are wondering WTF I'm on about though...

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Was listening to the radio on the drive up to work the other day and the presenters were having a debate about Mr Ed and whether it was a thing. At least one of them had never heard of the show. I'm almost mid-40s now but still!

I spent a few years in Holland as a kid and back then Sky was one channel, and aired a lot of shows of that vintage: Green Acres, My Favourite Martian, Lost in Space, The Green Hornet etc (pro-tip: Forces TV on Sky/Freesat is good for the classics!)

In case any of the kids here are wondering WTF I'm on about though...

:D

Can still sing the theme tune word for word! :D

Was a big Mr. Ed fan back in the day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ozzy jr wrote: »
    I had to explain a B Side to a twenty something the other day.

The world's leading expert on Vespula germanica walks into a record shop.

He asks the assistant “Do you have European Vespidae Acoustics Volume 2? I believe it was released this week and is said to be the best recording of European wasps ever collected!”

“Certainly,” replies the assistant. “Would you like to listen before you buy it?”

"That would be wonderful," says the expert, and puts on a pair of headphones.

He listens for a few moments and says to the assistant, “I'm terribly sorry, but I am the world's leading expert on European wasps and this is not accurate at all. I don't recognize any of those sounds. Are you sure this is the correct recording?”

The assistant checks the turntable, and confirms that it is indeed the correct recording, European Vespidae Acoustics Volume 2. "Let's try the next track," the assistant says, and moves te needle.

Again the expert listens for a moment and then says to the assistant, "No, this just can't be right! I've been an expert in this field for 43 years and I still don't recognize any of these sounds."

The assistant apologizes again and lifts the needle to the next track.

The expert throws off the headphones as soon as it starts playing and is fuming with rage.

"This is outrageous false advertising! No specimen of Vespula germanica or any wasp that I know of has ever made a sound like the ones on this record!"

The manager of the shop overhears the commotion and walks over.

"What seems to be the problem, sir?"

"This is an outrage! I'm the world's leading expert on European wasps. Nobody knows more about them than I do. There is simply no way that the sounds on that record were made by European wasps!"

The manager glances down and notices the problem instantly.

"I'm terribly sorry, sir. It appears we've been playing you the bee side."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

I was chatting to some of the newest members of my tag team recently and they didn’t know who Captain Planet is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I just realised that next year 30 years ago will be 1990. In my head 30 years ago was the 1970s

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I think us kids-during-the-80's people are the last who'll truly know the sense of freedom that we didn't even truly understand we enjoyed. Being a child in the 70's/80's wasn't hugely different to how it was decades earlier.

We grew up with no phones in most homes, one or two TV stations that shut down at night, shouting as a form of communicating over distance, 'COME IN FOR YOUR DINNER' is a thing of the past now. My Brother got one of these in 1979, I think, and it was one of the very first handheld computer games. I remember being fairly awestruck at being able to control images on the TV with early consoles. Taking a photo took about two weeks and required a camera, film, and chemical development.

I feel we're fairly privileged to straddle the pre/post digital revolution. We know what it was like before - and yet get to experience the absolute wonder of modern tech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Lithium93_ wrote:

There have been people born, gone through primary & secondary school and done the Leaving Cert since I did mine.

Advertisement