Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stuck in a rut!! How to get out of it?

• 09-11-2019 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

So...I moved home from abroad last year...now working in a decent job...but finding myself in a routine that isn't healthy. I work during the week and everything is fine, though my work doesn't tend to have many social people.

On a Friday I usually end up having a drink myself at my apartment, sometimes repeat on a Saturday. Not doing anything exciting or productive at the weekend. Often feeling lonely. I don't have a girlfriend. I am completely in a rut.

Any tips?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭munster87

Get out and about instead of staying in the apartment

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Develop a passion for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Stay in, drink the cheap booze, tear yourself asunder, save a few quid.

Walk into a bar. Call a pint. Start a conversation with a randomer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

donnyvegas wrote: »
    So...I moved home from abroad last year...now working in a decent job...but finding myself in a routine that isn't healthy. I work during the week and everything is fine, though my work doesn't tend to have many social people.

On a Friday I usually end up having a drink myself at my apartment, sometimes repeat on a Saturday. Not doing anything exciting or productive at the weekend. Often feeling lonely. I don't have a girlfriend. I am completely in a rut.

Any tips?

Join a hill walking club, they are not all about hill walking you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Volunteer

Walk into a bar. Call a pint. Start a conversation with a randomer.
    You find the best people that way. Even if its just the one off chat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wfdrun

Parkrun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭Charles Leclerc

Book a weekend away before Christmas. It'll give you something to look forward to. Flights are dirt cheap to the UK. Edinburgh, Liverpool, London and Manchester are all great cities with lots to see and do and all have a great nightlife. I've gone to these places alone for weekends and had a ball. I'm not the most out going person but a drink or two will have you chatting to randomers in no time. Belfast is next on my list.

Book a weekend away before Christmas. It'll give you something to look forward to. Flights are dirt cheap to the UK. Edinburgh, Liverpool, London and Manchester are all great cities with lots to see and do and all have a great nightlife. I've gone to these places alone for weekends and had a ball. I'm not the most out going person but a drink or two will have you chatting to randomers in no time. Belfast is next on my list.
    That's a lovely idea. I would suggest somewhere WARM though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

During daytime hours at the weekend take up walking then move onto jogging, then make space for that of an evening after work if you can. Maybe move onto beginner weights.

Physical exercise is great for the body and mind. It's not for everybody but give it a try. It's good discipline.

Eat healthy.

Go out by yourself, strike up conversations with people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

Recently i did a smoking course, to smoke mackerel and wild salmon with traditional methods, hoping to find a chick, for dating. No luck that time but I'll keep trying. Keep your head up dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Last weekend I adopted a really awkward crab-like posture in a dark room. 5 hours in I thought I had attracted the attention of a lady. May have been a radio outside somewhere. Remained absolutely still for the next 19 hours though, just in case.

The point is, op, don't do that.

Advertisement