Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Noel Grealish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

statesaver wrote: »
    Were they in receipt of Social Welfare payments ?

Were they fcuk...
    Most sweated blood to send that many home.
    Otherwise they would have starved over there.

My own relatives included.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

is_that_so wrote: »
    French & other EU MNC workers come here for 2-3 years for their CV. It's pretty logical to imagine they'll send as much of that cash home as they can.

I agree, but why is so much going to France?

Most of the money went to Poland, Nigeria and France. (allegedly)

Poland is understandable, we have a huge Polish population in Ireland.
    Poland is in the EU and they're fully entitled to be here

Nigeria is what it is.

France is an anomaly, there isn't a huge amount of french people in Ireland.
    I'd argue there are more Italians, Spanish, British and Germans here than French.
    So why is so much money going there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Not at the behest of the ramblings of a less than stellar TD. Nah, 97% or so compliance tells its own tale. Banks do enforce those rules as it's really not in their interest to flout them.

Banks do, what about all of the online app that can now send money?? Western Union?? Money gram?? Etc

Banks do, what about all of the online app that can now send money?? Western Union?? Money gram?? Etc
    They'd be licensed by the CB so rules apply to them as well. You'd be a pretty thick crim if you went over the limit intentionally and raised flags all over the place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,329 ✭✭✭✭zell12

To point out that a significant amount of people of Nigerian origin are Irish citizens, and the Census reflects them as Irish, therefore the per capita figures are misleading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

You think Nigerians are Irish.

I agree, but why is so much going to France?

Most of the money went to Poland, Nigeria and France. (allegedly)

Poland is understandable, we have a huge Polish population in Ireland.
    Poland is in the EU and they're fully entitled to be here

Nigeria is what it is.

France is an anomaly, there isn't a huge amount of french people in Ireland.
    I'd argue there are more Italians, Spanish, British and Germans here than French.
    So why is so much money going there?

UK numbers are second to Poles. The French would be the biggest of European cousins - about 12K I think. As I said probably a lot of MNC people in there, earning lots of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

vriesmays wrote: »
    You think Nigerians are Irish.

They would be Nigerians. He's talking on Irish people whose family line comes from Nigeria. You know not every Irish family evolved in Ireland from monkeys?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

if you are asking a question, the answer to which could cast any minority in a negative light, then you should not be asking the question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

if you are asking a question, the answer to which could cast any minority in a negative light, then you should not be asking the question.

Thats whats really (no extremely) worrying about this, the idea that asking a perfectly legitimate question is now 'racist'
    The new Hate Speech laws will make asking this question an offence.

Never mind the fact that a number of politicians and journalists have asked this very question just a few short years ago with no outcry whatsoever.

At least 150k Polish here, several times the number of Nigerians..yet the Poles send home less than half of what the Nigerians do.

Something completely out of whack here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Not at the behest of the ramblings of a less than stellar TD. Nah, 97% or so compliance tells its own tale. Banks do enforce those rules as it's really not in their interest to flout them.

Banks here have a massive problem with students letting people use their bank accounts in these money scams. I particularly remember the young African girl that got caught at it last year, slap on the wrist that only encourages more of it. It was only last year that Western Union branches here made changes to it's policy requiring more ID checks. Have a look around you when you walk past any ethnic food store or any of those African hair salons and you'll see that most have facilities for wiring money back home.

At least 150k Polish here, several times the number of Nigerians..yet the Poles send home less than half of what the Nigerians do.

Something completely out of whack here.

The Poles work the Nigerians don't.

blueshade wrote: »

Thats Hate speech my friend!

Of course the fact that it might be the truth is neither here nor there in our wonderful new society.

Thats Hate speech my friend!

Of course the fact that it might be the truth is neither here nor there in our wonderful new society.

Anything that is considered hate speech by the ''new communities'' is hate speech now. Funny how as the numbers grow we need new laws to stop people talking about it.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

UK numbers are second to Poles. The French would be the biggest of European cousins - about 12K I think. As I said probably a lot of MNC people in there, earning lots of money.

According to 2014 figures in the Irish Times:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/almost-one-in-eight-living-in-ireland-hail-from-abroad-1.2471339

Poles 118,042
    British 115,658
    Lithuanians 35,617
    Latvians 20,086
    Nigerians 19,727

Unusually, the CSO figures put less than 10,000 Nigerian people in Ireland in 2016.
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp7md/p7md/p7anii/

Regardless of either of the above, the questions till remains.
    Why is a so much going to France?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,169 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That is an absolutely ridiculous point and I will give an example to explain why.

There are more women than men in the world. Men are therefore a minority. That means that asking a question about a gender pay gap which discriminates against women is a question that casts a minority (men) in a negative light. Therefore it shouldn't be asked and the gender pay gap that favours men should be perpetuated.

Really the thought police are going too far.

They would be Nigerians. He's talking on Irish people whose family line comes from Nigeria. You know not every Irish family evolved in Ireland from monkeys?

You mean Anchor Babies? You see we had a referendum on that and people voted overwhelmingly to put an end to it. We have no direct flights with Nigeria, every Nigerian who got on a flight to come to Ireland and claim asylum broke the law and they are nothing but illegal economic migrants playing the asylum system. My town has always had some genuine refugees for over 30 years, those people were welcomed and integrated well and are an asset to the community. On the other hand at least 90% of the Africans and Muslims in my town are bogus migrants posing as asylum seekers and they aren't welcome not because of their religion or colour but because they are liars and bogus migrants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭chicorytip

On what evidence does Grealish base his claim? It would be a fair point to make if all of this money had been amassed from criminal activity. Foreigners living and working in Ireland still represent a small percentage of the overall population and the vast majority are law abiding.

You mean Anchor Babies? You see we had a referendum on that and people voted overwhelmingly to put an end to it. We have no direct flights with Nigeria, every Nigerian who got on a flight to come to Ireland and claim asylum broke the law and they are nothing but illegal economic migrants playing the asylum system. My town has always had some genuine refugees for over 30 years, those people were welcomed and integrated well and are an asset to the community. On the other hand at least 90% of the Africans and Muslims in my town are bogus migrants posing as asylum seekers and they aren't welcome not because of their religion or colour but because they are liars and bogus migrants.

Would you consider yourself an Anchor baby? Again, he was talking about Irish people, with Nigerian family background. You are fudging to try make it about illegal or fake immigrants.
    We have Italian Irish, Chinese Irish and more Nigerian Irish. That's the way things have always been. My ancestors came here in long boats to rob yis blind and decided to hang around until they invented the welfare state ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

He's probably just trying to pull a Casey and get the dim witted and hateful in tow. Not necessarily racist.

You’re not concerned at all about this colossal amount of money not being spent here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

More nigerians less knackers please - by knackers I mean -white trash types, like that taxi driver that was ripping off people with his remote control.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

chicorytip wrote: »
    On what evidence does Grealish base his claim? It would be a fair point to make if all of this money had been amassed from criminal activity. Foreigners living and working in Ireland still represent a small percentage of the overall population and the vast majority are law abiding.

He has no evidence.

He’s a ‘wanker whipping up fear’, as our President once so eloquently said.

He saw what being a generalising racist did to Peter Casey and is appealing to that vote, and the same morons who fell for it when Casey was doing it are falling for it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Old Noel gonna top the poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Link?

"The employment rate for African immigrants, at 45pc, is also significantly lower than the rates for Irish nationals (66pc) and non-Irish nationals (70pc)"

https://extra.ie/2018/11/07/business/irish/unemployment-rate-higher-african-migrants

So, where's all the money coming from?

According to 2014 figures in the Irish Times:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/almost-one-in-eight-living-in-ireland-hail-from-abroad-1.2471339

Poles 118,042
    British 115,658
    Lithuanians 35,617
    Latvians 20,086
    Nigerians 19,727

Unusually, the CSO figures put less than 10,000 Nigerian people in Ireland in 2016.
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp7md/p7md/p7anii/

Regardless of either of the above, the questions till remains.
    Why is a so much going to France?
    A lot of French only stay for 2-3 years and then a new batch come in. If in an MNC they are likely to be in the higher earning brackets, so potentially higher remittances.

splinter65 wrote: »
    You’re not concerned at all about this colossal amount of money not being spent here?

I'm more concerned about the colossal amount of money being spent here.
    We give money away to folk outside Ireland. Always have. If we want to curtail that that's fine. Singling out people is where you start entering dodgy territory IMO.

• Advertisement

Dante7 wrote: »
    "The employment rate for African immigrants, at 45pc, is also significantly lower than the rates for Irish nationals (66pc) and non-Irish nationals (70pc)"

https://extra.ie/2018/11/07/business/irish/unemployment-rate-higher-african-migrants

So, where's all the money coming from?

So you're guessing more Poles work and that Nigerians don't work?

Advertisement