Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Portlaoise, the midlands city.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

There was a proposal a while back to try build up Athlone, Mullingar and Tullamore into a more tightly connected hub,
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/hubs-and-gateways-made-simple-1.1128187

Ah yes the dream of Athmullinmore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

I agree on the point that Ireland is too small to have a "midlands city" which is to rival other larger cities in the country.

As a previous poster stated, you need to grow the population massively to fill the services (like the universities and IT's it will have and somehow build).

A more realistic solution is to build up the likes of Cork and Limerick, both strategically South and West, both have international airports, both have large ports both in city and outside, and crucially both have the population to fill large jobs from big services.

Portlaoise simply doesnt have that availability. I would however look at places like Sligo on the north West and somewhere like Dundalk which have slightly bigger populations, there needs to be more investment above the line drawn between Dublin and Galway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

dave 27 wrote: »
    I would however look at places like Sligo on the north West and somewhere like Dundalk which have slightly bigger populations, there needs to be more investment above the line drawn between Dublin and Galway

Sligo is absolutely tiny. I think it actually lost population in recent years to one off housing in the surrounding hinterland.

Dublin is still not big enough. Serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

When people say "We need to build up X" what exactly do they mean? Who needs to build it?

I presume the answer is "the government" but they're not in the process of building up places as it is. It's not as though the government is doing large planned settlements and cities like the Soviet Union.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

When people say "We need to build up X" what exactly do they mean? Who needs to build it?

I presume the answer is "the government" but they're not in the process of building up places as it is. It's not as though the government is doing large planned settlements and cities like the Soviet Union.

You mean like Adamstown?

• Advertisement
Advertisement