Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yet Another Label to Add to the Ever Increasing List of Sexual Orientations

Options
  • 20-09-2019 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I saw this article in the past week about Mark Ronson identifying as Sapiosexual! :rolleyes:

Mark Ronson Courageously Comes Out of the Closet as … Sapiosexual

Don't get me wrong. He is an amazing musician and seems like good craic.

However, I can't be the only one who thinks that we are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Whatever about LGBTQ, we now have people identifying as different animals, non-binary and gender fluid to name a few.

At what point do we draw the line between genuine sexual orientation and dare I say, mental illness?

Seriously, there are times when I wonder if people are inventing these words as a means of seeking attention.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Called it.

Guy Person wrote: »
    Ah yes. After the women cycling thread comes the traveller bashing one. What's next, trans people or immigrants?

I saw this article in the past week about Mark Ronson identifying as Sapiosexual! :rolleyes:

Mark Ronson Courageously Comes Out of the Closet as … Sapiosexual

Don't get me wrong. He is an amazing musician and seems like good craic.

However, I can't be the only one who thinks that we are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Whatever about LGBTQ, we now have people identifying as different animals, non-binary and gender fluid to name a few.

At what point do we draw the line between genuine sexual orientation and dare I say, mental illness?

Seriously, there are times when I wonder if people are inventing these words as a means of seeking attention.

It's clearly a joke.

In fact it reads to me like Ronson is pulling the leg of the trend towards ever-more diverse ways of labelling oneself, ie grumbling about the same reductive dialogue as you are.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

... :rolleyes: ....

....scraping the bottom of the barrel...

...animals...

...mental illness...

...seeking attention...

Yikes.

It's clearly a joke.

In fact it reads to me like Ronson is pulling the leg of the trend towards ever-more diverse ways of labelling oneself, ie grumbling about the same reductive dialogue as you are.
    I'm referring to the predictability of a thread like this appearing on the same day as the other 2. This thread will be a shítshow like the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It's rampant narcissism....I'm sexually attracted to intellect...because I am an intellect!

He's into men...he's probably been sucked into a world of excess where anything goes and everyone around him is behaving the exact same way and he is trying to sell it to himself!

• Advertisement

Guy Person wrote: »
    I'm referring to the predictability of a thread like this appearing on the same day as the other 2. This thread will be a shítshow like the others.

Oh, no, I just quoted the wrong post. Apologies, had meant to quote the OP. Corrected it now.

It's rampant narcissism....I'm sexually attracted to intellect...because I am an intellect!

He's into men...he's probably been sucked into a world of excess where anything goes and everyone around him is behaving the exact same way and he is trying to sell it to himself!
    Good for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

**** on dating websites have been saying Sapiosexual for years.

Always read it as essentially a way of showing off that you think you're super smart and wouldn't consider dating anyone you perceive to be beneath yourself in that regard. Usually a hefty dose of the Dunning Kruger with these types.

This has nothing to do with non binary or anything OP was going on about towards the end there. As someone quite involved in activist circles, I don't think you'll see them added to the LGBTQ acronym any time soon.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

If you know how Mark Ronson deals with media in the slightest, it's standard Ronson sattire

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I'm sapiosexual, I see a smart woman, i want to **** her brains out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

RWCNT wrote: »

Always read it as essentially a way of showing off that you think you're super smart and wouldn't consider dating anyone you perceive to be beneath yourself in that regard. Usually a hefty dose of the Dunning Kruger with these types.

This has nothing to do with non binary or anything OP was going on about towards the end there. As someone quite involved in activist circles, I don't think you'll see them added to the LGBTQ acronym any time soon.

i honestly thought it was to do with trees.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

It is not a new concept, it's been used on the internet since the early 2000s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

If only people who disapprove would stop giving them attention.
    It is not a new concept, it's been used on the internet since the early 2000s

Absolute melts on OkCupid have been calling themselves 'sapiosexual' for years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The OK Cupid thing is 5/6 years old max, but they did not come up with the term. It's been around since at least 2002 in blogs and chatrooms

It's up there with people telling you they're members of Mensa or how well read they are and how all their friends think they're the most intelligent person they've ever met. At least it warns people in advance what you're about and that's a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I'd like to be sapiosexual, but I prefer someone on my own level...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

RWCNT wrote: »

Yeah I'd hope people don't try and lump this with the incredibly tedious debates about pronouns and more complex sexual choices.

This is the type of thing that someone with serious arrogance rather than someone struggling with their identity believes

"unlike you stupid plebs who shag anything with a pulse, I only share my time with mortals who have the same high intellect that I have"

Shockingly enough a quick google search of Mark Ronsons girlfriends on google (its a friday night) and all are stunners who look under 40.

Mark would obviously not do a one night stand as you would not have time to grill the lady on how she would solve the Israel/Palestine issue before the crude you know what afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Know him personally do you?... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

dd973 wrote: »
    Know him personally do you?... :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if he is a him...he/she could be a them/they...who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

I'm not sure if he is a him...he/she could be a them/they...who knows!

It's a bit of a weird thing but if somebody is rumoured to be gay then people for some reason, are desperate for it to be true, it's almost like they're praying for it to be the case.

Paradoxically how many people do you meet in life who are? Not that many offset against people who aren't, of course in the regular run of things you don't meet or see people and think 'Oh, that persons straight' you just take it for granted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Candie wrote: »
    It's up there with people telling you they're members of Mensa or how well read they are and how all their friends think they're the most intelligent person they've ever met. At least it warns people in advance what you're about and that's a good thing.

Mensa seems to exist solely for members to tell people that they are in Mensa. :D I know a couple of bona fide genii. They’re not in Mensa. How come?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I'm assexual. I'm attracted to women with nice asses. sometimes I think I might be thighsexual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Opposites attract. Teehee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

"he's probably been sucked" Oooooh Vicar!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Mensa seems to exist solely for members to tell people that they are in Mensa. :D I know a couple of bona fide genii. They’re not in Mensa. How come?

Paying 80 quid a year for a couple of magazines and an annual conference never seemed particularly smart to me. I’d say a lot of Mensa members would be autistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Ah, I always kinda liked the term as it’s just a shortcut to saying you’re attracted to brainy people.

Doesn’t really belong with other orientations though, in my opinion.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Ah, I always kinda liked the term as it’s just a shortcut to saying you’re attracted to brainy people.

Doesn’t really belong with other orientations though, in my opinion.
    Why?

Don't you think we're now bordering on the point of making holy sacraments of the various pronouns and orientations?

We're almost as bad as the bible-thumping Holy Joes drawling on about Adam and Eve in a thick Lisburn accent, except it's Adam and Steve (more luck them, lovely guys). But why should sexual orientation look down on the poorer human projects from its elevated platform anyway?

Who put it there only the popes? Maybe people will finally chill out about other people's sexual lives when we stop anointing sex as a spiritual mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Can't even have a thread about common degeneracy now without bringing religion into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Why?

I just think, like many words, it’s a handy shortcut.
    Don't you think we're now bordering on the point of making holy sacraments of the various pronouns and orientations?

Absolutely. But I don’t think that has anything to do with the word itself but rather the precious and highly politicised times we live in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

bleedin sap(iosexual)

Advertisement