Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

calling your parents ma'am/sir

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Vita nova wrote: »
    I know, hence a homophone, different meaning and spelling but the same pronunciation.

Ah, I though you said synonym but you're right, you said homophone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Sardonicat wrote: »
    If they were knighted, we're conferred with an honoury doctorate and held a PhD you would have to say 'Sir Dr.Dr. Dad'?

They should really use whichever honorification is appropriate for the situation.
    That being said, the Sir is closest to the name. So it would be
    Dr. Sir Dad PhD or Dr Dame Mam PhD

They can get long winded though. For example His Excellency, The Right Honourable, Air Chief Marshall Dr. Sir. Paddy Longnose GBE

would be acceptable and make sense.

I've had to call the brother Sir a few times, on account of him being a commissioned officer and me being an enlisted rank. The auld lad, before he retired, did it once when they first met in uniform and told him to enjoy it, that it would never happen again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

People with PhDs are addressed as Dr, not PhD.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It seems to be more a Southern thing for the kids to address their parents as Sir/Ma'am when they're old enough to understand terms of respect. The concept is "respect of others", basically, so it drives them to saying 'sir/ma'am' to everyone. Note, it is usually used in response. If they want the attention of the parent, its "Dad, can I....", not "Sir, can I..." but if in response to a question, "Yes, Sir". I've encountered a few families which do this.

Adults will commonly use it to address others as well, it's not something which disappears when they hit adulthood.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A friend of mine was married to a Georgian lass and there was that Sir/Ma'am thing going on, as MM said it was applied to all people around them. As was a general politeness. Very polite people. I found it very endearing myself. Though not once was I offered a mint julep, the bastards. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

It seems to be more a Southern thing for the kids to address their parents as Sir/Ma'am when they're old enough to understand terms of respect. The concept is "respect of others", basically, so it drives them to saying 'sir/ma'am' to everyone. Note, it is usually used in response. If they want the attention of the parent, its "Dad, can I....", not "Sir, can I..." but if in response to a question, "Yes, Sir". I've encountered a few families which do this.

Adults will commonly use it to address others as well, it's not something which disappears when they hit adulthood.

I grew up in the South and this is accurate. Growing up, Mom and Dad were mom and dad, unless you were in trouble and you're getting a lecture. Then it's, "yes sir, yes ma'am." Outside of that, sir and ma'am are used to refer to anyone you want to show respect to in place of their name.

And even as an adult, it occasionally slips in when I'm talking to a colleague and quickly affirm something:

Can you print these out for me?

Yes, ma'am!

It makes some people really uncomfortable, especially if they grew up outside of the South. But it's so ingrained that sometimes it just slips out. My own mother yes ma'ams me once in a while now. :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's also handy if you forget somebody's name. The Southern version of the Irish, "ah it's yourself!" :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

A friend of mine called his mother “mammy” well into his late teens, probably still does.

He got an unmerciful “slagging” over it. Among other things.

Oh dear. My kids are mid to late 20s and they all call me Mammy. It never crossed my mind that could be odd. Till now!

They have other weird words and pet names they often use, and I think they use "my mother" among friends. But when push comes to shove and disaster, minor or major, strikes, the phone call or text starts with Mammy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

A friend of mine called his mother “mammy” well into his late teens, probably still does.

He got an unmerciful “slagging” over it. Among other things.

Thats hugely common. I've known 50 year old men who call their parents 'mammy'/ 'daddy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's also handy if you forget somebody's name. The Southern version of the Irish, "ah it's yourself!" :D

That’s one of the oddest expressions. I once worked with a fella, he’d call the wife during his lunch break...

“ howya doing, is that yourself ? , it’s meself here ”

On me walking in to the office of a morning.... “ahhh there you are now, it’s yourself !”

Of course it’s myself who the fûck else am I supposed to be :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Strumms wrote: »
    Wibbs wrote: »

That’s one of the oddest expressions. I once worked with a fella, he’d call the wife during his lunch break...

“ howya doing, is that yourself ? , it’s meself here ”

On me walking in to the office of a morning.... “ahhh there you are now, it’s yourself !”

Of course it’s myself who the fûck else am I supposed to be :eek:

The correct response is "Tis, aye."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

I've heard a kid saying it once or twice in Georgia. Must be more common in the Bible Belt.

I've lived in the Bible Belt and never heard it there either.

It's very common in US shops, hotels, and restaurants for staff to address patrons as "sir" and "ma'am." But I've never heard it from child to parent.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There's part of County Tyrone where "Sir" is used as a colloquial greeting as well, like bud/sham/horse/mate/lad in other parts of this island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

There's part of County Tyrone where "Sir" is used as a colloquial greeting as well, like bud/sham/horse/mate/lad in other parts of this island.

That's common in Derry and Donegal as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

A lad I work with calls his wife Mammy.He's in his late 50's and his kids are adults.
    It's fcukin weird to hear him on the phone to her ...yes Mammy,no Mammy.

Even when he's talking about her to us it's..And then Mammy said this,Mammy said that..

Fcukin hell,it's strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

When I was in secondary school, my Mum had to write a note to explain my absence on the day before.

She wrote, "Miltiades wasn't in school yesterday as he had to help his Daddy with the calves"

For years after, if I was late for anything, my friends would say "We're you helping daddy with the calves?" I dont see why it was strange to call your Dad Daddy tbh, but it was cringe worthy at the time.

Can't imagine that the slagging solely derived from using the term 'daddy' in a note. Surely being a complete dandy who was more interested in flower arrangement and pastel colours than hurling was the main factor?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

My pet hate is kids calling their parents by their first name, so disrespectful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I think expecting your kids to address you this way is extremely authoritarian. I doubt it's common practice.

It's conservative American ****e. More specifically Southern States I believe. A part of their fetishisation of the military and authoritarian structures they seem to revere, just extended to the home.

I never heard anyone address their parents as Sir or Ma'am here. Any parent that would demand their kids address them like that are on power trips.

They're the type who demand complete obedience and submission and try to mould their kids into mini-me's. Then wonder why their kids grow up to be crippled with emotional and psychological problems and despise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

screamer wrote: »

Not if the parents are ok with it. I don't have kids but it wouldn't bother me. To me respect is shown in how people treat each other, not what appellation is used.

I don't think respect has anything to do with it. I've always called my parents by name, couldn't have respected them more.

They were always referred to as Mum and Dad when I was speaking about them, but otherwise I called them by their names. They always preferred it that way themselves.

It's just a preference, not a downgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

Someone sent this to us recently.

Definitely a few in there Permabear!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

BDI wrote: »
    The worse is the edgey hip teenagers that call their mothers by their first name like it makes them so cool and badass.

Couldn’t even make themselves a cheese sandwich.

I'm late 30s, I always called my parents by their first names. My sister doesn't, she uses mam and dad. From what I've read, it's more prevalent among firstborns (to use names).

I make myself a very tasty cheese sandwich, I'll have you know. Toasted, butter, bit of onion, grated white cheddar/gouda mix, mustard, worstershire sauce. Hits the spot.

You what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

We always used Mum in our household. She'd beat you if you reffered to her as Mam. She thought it was common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

We always used Mum in our household. She'd beat you if you reffered to her as Mam. She thought it was common.

It was 'mum' or (controversially) 'mom' in our house. 'Mam' was acceptable, but 'ma' would get you a clatter. 'The oulwan' was another no-no.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭moonage

I call my mother by her first name or sometimes "Mrs".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

A lad I work with calls his wife Mammy.He's in his late 50's and his kids are adults.
    It's fcukin weird to hear him on the phone to her ...yes Mammy,no Mammy.

Even when he's talking about her to us it's..And then Mammy said this,Mammy said that..

Fcukin hell,it's strange.

Weird indeed. Imagine during sex "can I lick your feet mammy, can I have a footjob mammy?!"

:(:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Weird indeed. Imagine during sex "can I lick your feet mammy, can I have a footjob mammy?!"

:(:D

Like the awl feet do ye?

I think it’s just weird and never understood people who do it.

Even into my 30’s I’d never even consider calling my parents their first names even when talking to orther people about them (the exception being someone who wouldn’t know who I was talking about if I said “mam” or “dad”).

Any Irish person saying “mum” instead of “mam” should be beaten with a red hot iron bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I knew a guy in school who used to call his dad, dad, but his mother, Imelda.

Always found that really odd and wondered did it mean he hated his mother. Apparently not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Our mam was / is/ and always will be mam ,dead now a good few years but really great memories ,our mam

Advertisement