Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-09-2019, 17:44   #46
twowheelsonly

Anyone planning on heading to Dublin on Monday will have to hang around there for a few days- takes about a week before Euromillions cheques are issued.

Regarding hiding tickets...I'd just put it the same place as I did with the last one
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-09-2019, 17:58   #47
Ubbquittious

I'd spend the weekend grumbling that I have to go "the whole way up to Dublin" for some menial administration thing. When I'd be back in work I'd be asking around does anyone know who won the lotto
Thanks from:
19-09-2019, 18:12   #48
The_Kew_Tour

You could nearly live off the interest anyway.

I wonder how much interest you even get for 5million
19-09-2019, 18:16   #49
Thoie

Sign ticket. Put ticket into a ziploc bag. Seal bag. Stick bag in bra. Keep wearing that bra until I get to the lotto office.

Sure, I might smell, but the ticket will be safe.
19-09-2019, 18:17   #50
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
It's implied by a lot of the answers that you'd keep your win quiet. Or do ye mean just in the initial phase?

When locals spot me heading over to Portumna on my 60ft yacht to buy the messages, they're gonna start asking questions. Ditto when I buy someone a drink in the local. I don't think it's possible to keep a big win quiet.
Advertisement
19-09-2019, 18:18   #51
cjmc

I was looking on Google play for the app. I cant see it .
What's its name?
19-09-2019, 18:22   #52
Harry Palmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheelsonly View Post
Anyone planning on heading to Dublin on Monday will have to hang around there for a few days- takes about a week before Euromillions cheques are issued.

Regarding hiding tickets...I'd just put it the same place as I did with the last one
At least, I think it can be up to 10 working days - ie two weeks with the very big jackpots. By which point everyone will have worked out it's YOU!
19-09-2019, 18:26   #53
Permabear II

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kew_Tour View Post
You could nearly live off the interest anyway.
Interest rates are now so low that if you now put your money in some kind of deposit account, the real value of the money may fall due to inflation, even if you touch neither it nor the (negligible) interest.
(2) thanks from:
19-09-2019, 18:27   #54
buzzing147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelflife View Post
So you've won the Euromillions on Friday night all €190m of it !

Youre sitting on your couch, its 9.30pm and you have the winning lotto ticket in your hand.

The lotto offices dont open until Monday at 9am.

What do you do next ? Where do you put the ticket ? do you think you'll sleep over the weekend ?

will you drive to Dublin or take the Train/Bus ?

Not interested in what you do after handing in the ticket just what happens beforehand !
Walk to the pub, drink 7-12 pints, wake up on Saturday morning, hungover, and pray that it wasn't all a winning dream
Advertisement
19-09-2019, 18:27   #55
joeysoap

Look up the cost of villas in Spain and Portugal and buy one, preferably Portugal

Price a worldwide cruise and book it

Work out how many friends and relatives I actually have.

Buy a site and get Dermot Bannon to design and oversee a modern, A rated Bungalow ( who want stairs over 60)

Make a new will

Enjoy the win
Thanks from:
19-09-2019, 18:46   #56
cjmc

I posted before that I 'felt' I was going to win the big one Dolores Keane won. I was so confident I was going to win it. I got a call that morning to tell me I'd won a all expenses trip to China. Never has someone sounded so disappointed to win a prize like that .
No 'feeling ' about this one though
19-09-2019, 18:47   #57
Ubbquittious

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
It's implied by a lot of the answers that you'd keep your win quiet. Or do ye mean just in the initial phase?

When locals spot me heading over to Portumna on my 60ft yacht to buy the messages, they're gonna start asking questions. Ditto when I buy someone a drink in the local. I don't think it's possible to keep a big win quiet.
It is. You pick a few spots to use as your playground like Monaco. You can do lots of things by proxy as well. If you want to go to Portumna in a 60ft yacht it better be one thats about 30 years old. Save the new one for some place nobody knows you. Don't be seen with too much wealth in any one spot
19-09-2019, 18:50   #58
cjmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
I wouldn't do that if you plan on gifting money to family or friends.

For example if you want to give 100k to your favourite nephew or niece, the taxman will take over 20k.

Its much more efficient to divide up the money by making it a syndicate in retrospect - apportioning shares of 0.01%, 0.5%, 1% and so on, as you see fit. That way the gifts are not liable to Capital Aquisitions Tax.
That won't be happening. Flip them . Ways of buying stuff for them without paying 20% tax.
Thanks from:
19-09-2019, 18:52   #59
Rufeo

Wouldn't tell anyone.

Not even closest family.

I'd collect the money, quit my job and go abroad straight away (I literally could too).
19-09-2019, 19:04   #60
Spanish Eyes

It will be won in France.

It's too much for one person really. But we have no say in that.

I don't get this thing about never being able to live a private life ever again. There have been lots of Irish Lotto winners and I cannot remember one of them. Same for euromillions. People move on even if they know who won. Irish people generally respect neighbours privacy apart from RIP.ie etc.

Walked over Howth Head today, glorious day to be alive, and there are some seriously big and mahoosively expensive gaffs up there. Bet one or two won the lotto!

Best of luck everyone, I would love if it was won here, but the populations of other countries might shift it in their favour. Anyway, it's a bit of excitement waiting.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion