Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

If you even attempted to do all that, people would go bananas about the cost and extra tax. So a few quid for refugees who are a very cheap bunch by comparison is much better than neither helping the homeless or refugees.

Creating money for our needs is relatively easy, distribution of wealth, now that's another matter entirely

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The average social welfare recipients are the poorest people in our society, apart from asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭smilerf

None of my friends use it but Viber is better than WhatsApp in a lot of ways

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

We can feed and home our poor. But it would be expensive. It would mean rehoming all the people who just don’t have homes for whatever reason (the working families living in tents). It would mean institutionalising all the homeless people with psychological and psychiatric problems and paying to house them while we treat them to the point that they could move into a house provided by the state. And treating all the drug addicts or at least providing housing for them until they could move into housing provided by the state.

If you even attempted to do all that, people would go bananas about the cost and extra tax. So a few quid for refugees who are a very cheap bunch by comparison is much better than neither helping the homeless or refugees.

Refugees should be fast tracked to either stay and become normal people who can work etc. Or go home.

A few quid for refugees? 77 million quid this year, an additional 64 million for just 2 years and 4 hotels. It's got to fooking end. The central mental hospital is full. Kids with serious problems can't access psychiatrists, we've unprecedented numbers of people suffering from depression, huge suicide statistics, almost 1 million people waiting to see a Consultant in a public hospital. Waiting list times are so long that GP's have been telling public patients for years that they ought to go private to see a Consultant if they need to urgently. This is without the 2 billion a year in Foreign Aid for the next 2 years that the government has pledged.

This is Irish politicians with an eye on a career in Brussels or the UN when their time in Irish politics is up, it's about building a CV that will appeal to that not doing what is in the interests of the Irish citizen. Ask the Irish public if they want that money spent here on frontline services or if they want cronies of politicians creaming money off for bogus migrants, 90% of whom have no entitlement to be here. Fooks sake there were over 50 Eritreans smuggled into Belfast last week and not a mention of it in the media. What happens post Brexit? The word went out years ago that Ireland is a soft touch, we are the only country in Europe that has seen an increase in applications for asylum.

The average social welfare recipients are the poorest people in our society, apart from asylum seekers.

Most of the Syrian asylum seekers in my town have better cars and more disposable income than their working neighbours. The Africans aren't far behind, then again if you don't have to pay your own rent that's easily done. That 20 something year old African lad who rammed another African lad during the week was driving a very nice white Audi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

blueshade wrote: »
    That 20 something year old African lad who rammed another African lad during the week was driving a very nice white Audi.

Oh so he's an asylum seeker now?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

smilerf wrote: »
    None of my friends use it but Viber is better than WhatsApp in a lot of ways

I use both and you can edit messages after you've sent them in Viber. That's the only difference I know of but it makes Viber great.

TBH I always used Viber for my family chat group and didn't even know Viber is old fashioned until very recently

A few quid for refugees? 77 million quid this year, an additional 64 million for just 2 years and 4 hotels. It's got to fooking end. The central mental hospital is full. Kids with serious problems can't access psychiatrists, we've unprecedented numbers of people suffering from depression, huge suicide statistics, almost 1 million people waiting to see a Consultant in a public hospital. Waiting list times are so long that GP's have been telling public patients for years that they ought to go private to see a Consultant if they need to urgently. This is without the 2 billion a year in Foreign Aid for the next 2 years that the government has pledged.

This is Irish politicians with an eye on a career in Brussels or the UN when their time in Irish politics is up, it's about building a CV that will appeal to that not doing what is in the interests of the Irish citizen. Ask the Irish public if they want that money spent here on frontline services or if they want cronies of politicians creaming money off for bogus migrants, 90% of whom have no entitlement to be here. Fooks sake there were over 50 Eritreans smuggled into Belfast last week and not a mention of it in the media. What happens post Brexit? The word went out years ago that Ireland is a soft touch, we are the only country in Europe that has seen an increase in applications for asylum.

77 million is a few quid in comparison to what it would cost to solve the domestic homeless problem as I outlined in the post you quoted. I have no problem with 77m for refugees and 2b for foreign aid. I also have no problem raising the money to address the domestic homeless problem and frontline services. It would require additional tax and I'm fine with that.

Most of the Syrian asylum seekers in my town have better cars and more disposable income than their working neighbours. The Africans aren't far behind, then again if you don't have to pay your own rent that's easily done. That 20 something year old African lad who rammed another African lad during the week was driving a very nice white Audi.

And there was me thinking that asylum seekers lived in direct provision centres and got €38.80 a week.

And there was me thinking that asylum seekers lived in direct provision centres and got €38.80 a week.

No, they get free cars. I heard about an asylum seeker who ran low on Petrol and dumped the car cos the direct provision centre would give him a brand new one with a full tank.

• Advertisement

No, they get free cars. I heard about an asylum seeker who ran low on Petrol and dumped the car cos the direct provision centre would give him a brand new one with a full tank.

So, it's not just free buggies?
    Jesus wept for the working poor!

So, it's not just free buggies?
    Jesus wept for the working poor!

No, not just free buggies. Did you hear about the asylum seeker who's free 5 befroom house needed to be painted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

No, not just free buggies. Did you hear about the asylum seeker who's free 5 befroom house needed to be painted?

Let me guess - he left it at a bus stop and got a new freshly painted one off the state?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I know of Algerian truck driver who tells me he only person who works in his apartment block. He says not one family have less then a 16 reg car. Living the life he says. They laugh at him for Working and he says he struggling to find a place. Great Guy, Great Worker, exploited by a Stupid System

Let me guess - he left it at a bus stop and got a new freshly painted one off the state?

Close but not quite. At least he called the fire brigade as he left to pick up the keys to his new house.

I know of Algerian truck driver who tells me he only person who works in his apartment block. He says not one family have less then a 16 reg car. Living the life he says. They laugh at him for Working and he says he struggling to find a place. Great Guy, Great Worker, exploited by a Stupid System

By any chance would any of those folks be engaged in criminal activities?

Wanderer78 wrote: »

They're not buying 16 reg cars if they're relying on state benefits. Strongly suspect the story is nonsense but I'm certain state benefits don't stretch to 3 year old cars.

They dont need to be. Social Welfare paying for it. Most of these people came over claiming they were homeless to Garda stations and wherever. Most of people have many children too. I used think it was BS up to few years ago when I work with many others who tell me stories. Cant all be wrong

They dont need to be. Social Welfare paying for it. Most of these people came over claiming they were homeless to Garda stations and wherever. Most of people have many children too. I used think it was BS up to few years ago when I work with many others who tell me stories. Cant all be wrong

'Assumptions are the route.....!

'Assumptions are the route.....!

No Assumptions, unless they are liars. I see it with my own eyes anyway. My job is linked to to it too. So 1+1.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

As somebody who qualifies for pretty much every social welfare benefit going, I’d be very interested to hear how people can buy nearly new cars on welfare alone. I pay a decent enough chunk of rent a month but even if that did drop to zero or whatever, I still couldn’t afford anything other than a complete banger. I’d struggle to even buy and run that, to be honest. Story doesn’t compute if criminal activity isn’t factored in.

:D

Are you kidding? I was in Galway today and the African lads aren't short of a few quid. No shortage of Nike 170 euro a pair trainers and designer gear, they aren't getting that with the 20 euro a week allowance. Are they just going for the pimp look or is it coincidence? Makes me laugh when I see boat loads of clear skinned, well dressed, well fed young men with Iphones claiming to be poor oppressed refugees.

• The average social welfare recipients are the poorest people in our society, apart from asylum seekers.

err... unlikely. People on welfare know how to use the system to make somewhat decent amounts considering their involvement. I know people working a full time job and earning less than some of their friends on the dole. There's a whole group of Irish people not eligible for "average" welfare benefits because of their parents backgrounds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

err... unlikely. People on welfare know how to use the system to make somewhat decent amounts considering their involvement. I know people working a full time job and earning less than some of their friends on the dole. There's a whole group of Irish people not eligible for "average" welfare benefits because of their parents backgrounds.

This is a myth that all people on the dole work the system.

Not everyone on the dole is a criminal or willing to do illegal things to earn "extra". As for using the system, do you mean getting their entitlements they are due, and which most have paid tax for in the past.

Some people through no choice of their own, and not laziness end up on the dole and struggle.

This notion people on the dole can afford cars, go on holidays and have plenty of spare cash is the sort of nonsense spewed by people who have no idea what they are speaking about and just regurgitating some over used cliche.

Those that are doing very well on the dole are not existing solely on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

err... unlikely. People on welfare know how to use the system to make somewhat decent amounts considering their involvement.
    This is a myth that all people on the dole work the system.
    Not all people on benefits work the system but plenty do. I was signed off with anxiety after my mother died and was getting illness benefit. I was told I should've gone for disability and claimed for depression as I would get extra benefits such as fuel allowance and HAP. I didn't because it didn't feel right. I know someone who works 30 hours a week and gets a lot of extras because he has a kid. He doesn't want to go full time because he would end up with less. I know people who have council houses, on benefits and rent out rooms on Home Stay and they make a tidy income.

I knew someone who was claiming to be a single mother of two, who got a brand new house and she told me herself it was great as her boyfriend was self employed and he lived with them. I barely knew her (new work colleague) and yet she was brazen enough to tell me all the extras she was getting. She told me she felt bad but she had to do it for the kids. This was 15 years ago when I was a lot more naive and I felt sorry for her until she told me the next week that she was getting a new tv that cost 2,500 and the stand was 300. Ya, I'm sure the 3 and 5 year old needed that tv :rolleyes:

Some people use the dole as a stop gap. Others work 3 days as they get to keep their medical card, HAP and fuel allowance and aren't bothered about going full time. It happens more than you think. The government are trying to clamp down on it and are sending part timers onto JobPath. I did JobPath last year and found it very helpful. You only have to go for one hour a week, which isn't much. We had a feedback meeting and some people were complaining about how it was very stressful finding the time to come in. One woman flat out said she was 55, working part time and looking after her grand kids. She didn't like having to come in one hour a week. I couldn't believe the audacity of her to say that she had no intention of finding full time work to someone who worked there and could report her.

There are also stories of people who get totally shafted by the system but bhat do you do with people who have no intention of working full time and are quite happy with their 2/3 days topped up by benefits?

Those that are doing very well on the dole are not existing solely on the dole.
    That I completely agree with. A single, childless person will not have a great life on the dole unless they are doing nixers.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Not all people on benefits work the system but plenty do. I was signed off with anxiety after my mother died and was getting illness benefit. I was told I should've gone for disability and claimed for depression as I would get extra benefits such as fuel allowance and HAP. I didn't because it didn't feel right....

That’s what the benefit was intended for so it’s not in and sense fraudulent or gaming the system. You experienced a transient illness and decided not to claim the full amount. Other people have longer term conditions so it’s not gaming the system to claim the full entitlement.

Lots of people under claim and the benefits for people with disabilities both physical and intellectual disabilities are the most underclaimed.

That’s what the benefit was intended for so it’s not in and sense fraudulent or gaming the system. You experienced a transient illness and decided not to claim the full amount. Other people have longer term conditions so it’s not gaming the system to claim the full entitlement.

Lots of people under claim and the benefits for people with disabilities both physical and intellectual disabilities are the most underclaimed.
    I did claim the full amount. I had anxiety and illness benefit was all I was entitled to. I was told how to play it up as depression to get disability and extra benefits. I didn't do it because a) I wasn't entitled to it and b) I wasn't going to use my mother's death to scam the system. These people weren't telling me what I was entitled to, they were trying to teach me how to play the system and couldn't understand why I wouldn't do it.

That winter was really tough. Living on 188 a week and paying rent, esb, food etc was no joke and I ended up over two months behind in rent. I'm very fortunate that my landlord was understanding and I eventually got back on my feet and paid back all the arrears. I'm not having a go at all people on the dole. I know what it's like to struggle week to week but there are people out there who get used to life on benefits and don't want to come off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Andreas77 wrote: »
    I believe that unemployed people and people on low incomes should be provided with the highest standard of housing at a means assessed rate.

I believe unemployed should get no ****ing house... go out and work and earn it like everyone else ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Look at the city west vid.... a “student” decided to slam his 2014 Audi into another car!!im driving a 08 car and working ...

Advertisement