Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Made a browser extension for boards

• 28-04-2019 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Have been working on a browser extension (chrome) for boards lately as a side project

Main features are:
    Removal of empty space within posts (can be restored by clicking on post)
    Auto-load next page in thread - triggered when scrolled to bottom of page
    Header reduction on thread pages (search bar etc)

It came about because I was originally frustrated at the amount of screen real estate that short posts take up, and then ended up adding some more features

Link to extension in web store: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/boards-companion/jiihifgkaabfcfdnmjnedklalpgcmgke?hl=en

Source code here: https://github.com/SeanMaclochlainn/Boards-Companion

Depending on if there's any interest in it I can look into adding more features, support for firefox, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Looks good but I have an issue. If I use the button to go to last read message, e.g. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110056287#post110056287 it always reloads the same page over and over. I guess it's something to do with the URL formatting.

Using the dark theme in case that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Nice, however i quite like the spacing as it is, but the auto load of the pages is cool.

Could you add an option to enable/disable each of the features?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 s_mcloughlin

d31b0y wrote: »
    Looks good but I have an issue. If I use the button to go to last read message, e.g. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110056287#post110056287 it always reloads the same page over and over. I guess it's something to do with the URL formatting.

Using the dark theme in case that matters.

Is this is when in the "Followed threads" page? It seems to be working ok for mine at the moment, but I'll look into it more this evening and see if I can recreate
    Nice, however i quite like the spacing as it is, but the auto load of the pages is cool.

Could you add an option to enable/disable each of the features?

I had in mind to add in something like that eventually, so yes I can prioritize that if its something that would be useful

Thanks both of you for the feedback anyways :)

Is this is when in the "Followed threads" page? It seems to be working ok for mine at the moment, but I'll look into it more this evening and see if I can recreate

Exactly, followed threads:
    FHvGIdS.png

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=2056983497
    Clicking the above link (the first time at least) brings me to page 208 and loops page 208 over and over again.

I can't recreate it if I manually go to page 208, it works as it should. So, followed threads where the last read post is on the second last page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I love it, there's so much wasted space in small posts

• Advertisement

Exactly, followed threads:
    FHvGIdS.png

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=2056983497
    Clicking the above link (the first time at least) brings me to page 208 and loops page 208 over and over again.

I can't recreate it if I manually go to page 208, it works as it should. So, followed threads where the last read post is on the second last page.

The problem that I found was that because the header section is reduced, it makes it look as though the page hasn't scrolled to the correct post

Will include a fix for this in the next release

The extension shouldn't interfere with page redirection, so I'm not sure why it kept bringing you to the same page. That URL redirects you to a different URL containing the first new post - that's functionality handled by boards.ie servers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Just installed it and will let you know if I experience the same issue with the above issue.

EDIT: I am seeing the same issue. Infinite scroll = actual infinite scroll as you end up forever loading in the same content. When accessing a page via a url with with something like 'p=X#postY' rather than 't=Z'

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Just installed it and will let you know if I experience the same issue with the above issue.

EDIT: I am seeing the same issue. Infinite scroll = actual infinite scroll as you end up forever loading in the same content. When accessing a page via a url with with something like 'p=X#postY' rather than 't=Z'

Ok, the penny has dropped - I hadn't realised the issue was with the autoscrolling. I can recreate this now - this is the same thing that d31b0 had been talking about. It occurs when you get redirected to a page in the thread that isn't the last one (as previously mentioned)

Should be fairly fixable - will include in the upcoming release

I can't believe I didn't mention auto-scrolling in either of my two posts... :(

I somehow knew exactly what you were talking about because I went and tested that exact scenario to confirm it was a bug as soon as I downloaded the extension. I knew I wouldn't be able to use it if what you said was true as it's the primary way I navigate boards.

Also, on that note. It would be nice if there was an easy way of disabling the extension without having to go into the chrome extension store. I also the echo individual settings request. I quite like the white space but love the removal of the pagination.

• Advertisement

I can't believe I didn't mention auto-scrolling in either of my two posts... :(

No worries, its clearer now looking back!
    I somehow knew exactly what you were talking about because I went and tested that exact scenario to confirm it was a bug as soon as I downloaded the extension. I knew I wouldn't be able to use it if what you said was true as it's the primary way I navigate boards.

Also, on that note. It would be nice if there was an easy way of disabling the extension without having to go into the chrome extension store. I also the echo individual settings request. I quite like the white space but love the removal of the pagination.

Right, I had never actually used that feature, but it does seem to be pretty useful

I've made a fix for this issue in the meantime, which is now available on the webstore as v1.0.2. Your local version should auto-update after a while, however if you enable developer mode within chrome it will allow you to manually update it

I take your point about enabling/disabling each or all features. Will be working on implementing something for this next

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Cool plugin - not sure how difficult it would be to do, but tagging of users would be very helpful. Boards' only tag feature is basically the ignore button so I have people I like and loathe ignored just to see if I'm glossing over anything potentially good.

grindle wrote: »
    Cool plugin - not sure how difficult it would be to do, but tagging of users would be very helpful. Boards' only tag feature is basically the ignore button so I have people I like and loathe ignored just to see if I'm glossing over anything potentially good.

Thanks - that's a good idea. Its certainly possible, and I think would be pretty cool to have, however yes, there is a bit of meat to it in terms of effort required.

Enabling/disabling each feature currently has priority, but once thats completed I'll probably start looking into adding this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Thanks - that's a good idea. Its certainly possible, and I think would be pretty cool to have, however yes, there is a bit of meat to it in terms of effort required.

Enabling/disabling each feature currently has priority, but once thats completed I'll probably start looking into adding this

I'd figured it must be difficult for some reason - it's the best feature on any forum but the least deployed on most. Hang back and ignore if it's too idiotic.

grindle wrote: »
    I'd figured it must be difficult for some reason - it's the best feature on any forum but the least deployed on most. Hang back and ignore if it's too idiotic.

Thanks - I had a quick look at how its done on Reddit Enhancement Suite, and there is a storage API for chrome extensions that they use.

I won't make any hard promises for now, but would be cool to have I think

Right, I had never actually used that feature, but it does seem to be pretty useful

I've made a fix for this issue in the meantime, which is now available on the webstore as v1.0.2. Your local version should auto-update after a while, however if you enable developer mode within chrome it will allow you to manually update it

I take your point about enabling/disabling each or all features. Will be working on implementing something for this next
    Thanks for the quick response. It's working perfectly now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Like the extension,

For me, the navigation tree under the Boards logo seems to shift down and partially cover the other buttons.

Without Extension
    before.jpg

With Extension
    After.jpg

Otherwise, great job.

Another feature to think about is being able to infinitely scroll backwards too. Not sure if it would work though, with the banner at the top only appearing once you scroll all the way up.

Like the extension,

For me, the navigation tree under the Boards logo seems to shift down and partially cover the other buttons.

Without Extension
    before.jpg

With Extension
    After.jpg

Otherwise, great job.

Ok, cheers. Would you mind giving some info on the device that you're using? There may be some minor differences in how it renders depending on whether its a laptop/desktop/macbook/etc.

There is a hardcoded value for the height of the navigation tree that is probably the cause though.
    Another feature to think about is being able to infinitely scroll backwards too. Not sure if it would work though, with the banner at the top only appearing once you scroll all the way up.

Yea definitely something to consider alright. If I get as far as toggling each feature, then it could be added in an experimental way at first, which could be useful for checking how it integrates with the banner etc.

I had also thought adding autoscrolling for forum homepages could be useful too

Ok, cheers. Would you mind giving some info on the device that you're using? There may be some minor differences in how it renders depending on whether its a laptop/desktop/macbook/etc.

There is a hardcoded value for the height of the navigation tree that is probably the cause though.

Windows 10 Lenovo Laptop running latest version of Chrome.

• Advertisement

Hey guys, just letting you know that a new version has since been released within which you can enable/disable each feature. Once updated (v1.0.3), click on the extension icon to see the new options.

To manually update go to chrome://extensions, enable developer mode and click "update"

Windows 10 Lenovo Laptop running latest version of Chrome.

Cheers - you can now untick the "reduce header" option, and this shouldn't occur any more. Still haven't recreated it - if I can manage to I should be able to fix the underlying issue

Cheers - you can now untick the "reduce header" option, and this shouldn't occur any more. Still haven't recreated it - if I can manage to I should be able to fix the underlying issue

Yes this seems to have worked unchecking that reduce header option.

Auto updated for me and works really well.

Yep, working great here too.
    Definitely the extension I didn't know I needed. Deserves more exposure.

Auto updated for me and works really well.
    Yep, working great here too.
    Definitely the extension I didn't know I needed. Deserves more exposure.

Thanks for the kind words guys, delighted you're finding it useful!

There's still one or two issues outstanding, and I'm also experimenting with new features - e.g. autoscrolling upwards. Will update the thread for any substantial releases

If anyone wants to contribute, pull requests are welcome too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I like it, looks great but it removes the pictures and details below the users name on the left, which I miss. Also, would it be possible for the little icon in Chrome to show a number for the amount of unread posts or PM's you have? That'd be cool - you wouldn't need to visit the site to see if you've anything to catch up on.

SuprSi wrote: »
    I like it, looks great but it removes the pictures and details below the users name on the left, which I miss. Also, would it be possible for the little icon in Chrome to show a number for the amount of unread posts or PM's you have? That'd be cool - you wouldn't need to visit the site to see if you've anything to catch up on.

Thanks - if you untick the "Hide Post Whitespace" option it should display these, however I've just realized that this only works for the first page.

Have started using Github to track issues, and there is now an entry for this here. Should get fixing this soon.

For your second point, it seems like a good idea alright. Its should be possible to do by polling boards.ie every few minutes or so, which looks to be feasible with an extension. It could be more complicated than it looks however, so will investigate it further and see

Thanks - if you untick the "Hide Post Whitespace" option it should display these, however I've just realized that this only works for the first page.

Have started using Github to track issues, and there is now an entry for this here. Should get fixing this soon.

Have just released a new version (1.0.4) that includes a fix for this now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

There is a setting in your appearance settings for sticky header.

• Advertisement

Hey guys,

Just a quick update - over the last while there were two features that have been released:
    • Autoscrolling to previous pages
    • Header toggling improvements - it now disappears completely and reappears when you hover over that area
    There were also some bugs that have been fixed too

The latest version (1.1.0) contains all of the above

If you've any feedback on this feel free to let me know

I've a few more things that I'd like to experiment with over the next while too (mainly autoscrolling forum homepages and tagging users), so there may be more in the pipeline

Advertisement