Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-03-2019, 19:40   #1
irishgirl91

Recruit Prison Officer 2019

Recruit Prison Officer 2019 application on public jobs - opened 28/02/2019 and is closing on 21/03/2019

Dedicated thread for the 2019 application process so get posting guys & girls and good luck in your application

Last edited by irishgirl91; 03-03-2019 at 19:44.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
03-03-2019, 20:43   #2
patrickpints

filling out my application, wonder how much weight is giving to the voluntary or community work question as there is nothing really I can put down for that?
Thanks from:
03-03-2019, 20:49   #3
irishgirl91

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickpints View Post
filling out my application, wonder how much weight is giving to the voluntary or community work question as there is nothing really I can put down for that?
I applied last year in the 2018 application and unfortunately I missed advancing to stage 4 by a very small margin. In my interview last year I was asked about volunteer/community work. They also ask about it in garda interviews too.

I suggest you try to look into volunteering somewhere for your application and if you cant put anything down right now that's ok just talk about it in the interview. You will have a couple of months between application and the interview

Last year I had nothing worthy to add into that section but I have since changed that.

Hope that helps
03-03-2019, 20:57   #4
irishgirl91

Alot of people may leave that box blank and be successful. Its not a requirement but it can be helpful and certainly a good talking point. Hopefully other people will post more and share their thoughts too

If you have time browse the 2018 recruitment thread alot of good info shared
06-03-2019, 01:24   #5
private89

Criminal Record

Am looking at the 2019 campaign.

m wondering if the background checks are the same or easier than for AGS? I have a few convictions (motoring and public order) and wondering if these would exclude me. I applied to AGS and got turned down. Just gone 30 so think I have "grown up" now.

Would coming from the Army help or is that a
Advertisement
06-03-2019, 16:37   #6
po candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by private89 View Post

m wondering if the background checks are the same or easier than for AGS? I have a few convictions (motoring and public order) and wondering if these would exclude me. I applied to AGS and got turned down. Just gone 30 so think I have "grown up" now.

I'm not 100% on how strict it is compared to Gardai. I'm from 2018 and waiting on clearance at the moment. I remember in the 2018 thread a serving officer stated it wasnt as strict as he has colleagues he knew had been in trouble before joining and they got in no problem. He suggested that this wouldn't happen with the Gardai! Have a look at the start of the 2018 thread and you'll see a few asking about the clearance issue. Ultimately I would just apply if I were you and see how it goes.
(2) thanks from:
08-03-2019, 19:02   #7
irishgirl91

Quote:
Originally Posted by private89 View Post

I would agree with po candidate to apply and see how it goes
08-03-2019, 20:22   #8
Star hurl

Would anyone have an idea how much per Month after tax you would be taking home ? Also completed the appitude tests in 2016 and was very strong in job simulation but really struggled in the numerical section . Would that part still be the same or maybe it has changed again ? .
10-03-2019, 20:06   #9
patrickpints

anyone do the interview last year? how difficult was it and how long roughly?
Advertisement
10-03-2019, 20:08   #10
patrickpints

no idea on the tax question as everyones personal circumstances is different, would you clear 500 a week after tax?
12-03-2019, 21:32   #11
billgibney

Quote:
no idea on the tax question as everyones personal circumstances is different, would you clear 500 a week after tax?
Including all allowances and built in overtime the starting pay is around 47000 per year
13-03-2019, 11:55   #12
Bowrow

Quote:
anyone do the interview last year? how difficult was it and how long roughly?
The interview is the hardest part.
Just have your examples on the competencies and stick to answering the questions and you'll be fine.
I think it was about 20-30 mins
13-03-2019, 11:58   #13
Bowrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star hurl View Post
Would anyone have an idea how much per Month after tax you would be taking home ? Also completed the appitude tests in 2016 and was very strong in job simulation but really struggled in the numerical section . Would that part still be the same or maybe it has changed again ? .
I narrowly missed out in 2016 and 're applied in 2018 and I now await on pct and medical.the 2016 was numerical reasoning but 2018 was Alot harder imo because it was a calculation test.do some study/grinds and you'll be fine
Thanks from:
13-03-2019, 21:51   #14
KBHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgibney View Post
Including all allowances and built in overtime the starting pay is around 47000 per year
Is this as a recruit Prison officer after your assigned a prison?? Or after 3 years when u become a prison officer??
Thanks from:
14-03-2019, 17:49   #15
raze_them_all_

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBHC View Post
Is this as a recruit Prison officer after your assigned a prison?? Or after 3 years when u become a prison officer??
Your assigned a prison after the initial 12 weeks, you become a prison officer on completion of college so after 3 years
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion