Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EB License for towing

• 10-09-2017 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Have many on here got this license done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭amacca

I have it. I resentfully forked over the roughly 500euro it took to get a symbol printed on my licence that allowed me to do what I had been doing accident free for 15 years before that.

The thought of having a trailer confiscated outside a mart by some jobsworth finally got to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

liam7831 wrote: »

Is it just the category B licence you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Madness and a money racket is all this is.

Got mine when I passed the test way back then.

As far as the theory test goes there are same questions the different sections with different answers.

A neighbour he went and got one as he draws fire wood but takes one of the young lad to help unload the trailer.

Found out yesterday the young lad has to reverse the trailer for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Did the test in may 16. Added it to the licence in August 17 and the next day was stopped in a checkpoint and they wanted me to get someone to collect the trailer. . I politely told him to go where the sun doesn't shine it wasn't my fault himself and rest of public service were incompentent . So flashed him the B licence and receipt from the day before showing I had added the E to the licence.

Smug look of the week

Btw on a side note I was under weight of 3500kg and braked trailer but I didn't want to ruin his day to much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

As my uncle would say it's no weight carry in pocket . At least Ye have it . It's only when something goes wrong is when its a necessity to have it.

I know people who pull double axle trailers both loader and horse box types as part of their and I've warned them the rsa/cops are clamping down. Ignorance is no defense of the law.

I've seen lads doing crazy speeds with loaded trailers on the motorways here. Nuts

• Advertisement

dev100 wrote: »
    As my uncle would say it's no weight carry in pocket . At least Ye have it . It's only when something goes wrong is when its a necessity to have it.

I know people who pull double axle trailers both loader and horse box types as part of their and I've warned them the rsa/cops are clamping down. Ignorance is no defense of the law.

I've seen lads doing crazy speeds with loaded trailers on the motorways here. Nuts

Some people depending on age were given exemptions.

Some people depending on age were given exemptions.

If you held a full category B licence before 1989 the entitlement to a full EB was automatic, Here is the article.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/news/deadline-looms-for-assessment-to-reinstate-car-and-trailer-licences-248644.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Is it just the category B licence you have?

Ya have B, C & C1 since approx 2002 so looks like I have to do this silly test

Ya have B, C & C1 since approx 2002 so looks like I have to do this silly test

Why not go for the artic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Why not go for the artic?

Wouldn't use it haven't driven trucks since 2012, but tow car trailers regularly enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

If you held a full category B licence before 1989 the entitlement to a full EB was automatic, Here is the article.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/news/deadline-looms-for-assessment-to-reinstate-car-and-trailer-licences-248644.html

That just does not make any logical sense.

Have a BE provisional here and have been stopped a number of times and asked to show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 i know u know

Ya did my BE test last week and past first time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Do you have to do the 12 lessons and all that in order to get a test in it or can you just apply for the test?

Wouldn't use it haven't driven trucks since 2012, but tow car trailers regularly enough

You'd kill 2 birds with one stone were you to get it

You'd spend only a few quid more getting it, an instructor would probably advise it for your own benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

arctictree wrote: »
    That just does not make any logical sense.

Have a BE provisional here and have been stopped a number of times and asked to show it.

If you have a BE provisional do you no need a passenger with you that has!

razor8 wrote: »
    If you have a BE provisional do you no need a passenger with you that has!

Yeah you need someone with a full BE licence over 2 years, L plates and extendable mirrors onto the regular mirrors IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Have it three years or so now. Was handy enough got tbh. I have been stopped at two checkpoints lately while towing and not been asked to show it. Sods law would say that if I didn't have it I would have been asked for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

You'd kill 2 birds with one stone were you to get it

You'd spend only a few quid more getting it, an instructor would probably advise it for your own benefit.
    If it was me I'd do the CE.
    Anyone pulling a digger on a low loader behind a tractor needs a CE.
    Even if you have to get the C too, I know it's additional short term hassle but could be better in the long run

If it was me I'd do the CE.
    Anyone pulling a digger on a low loader behind a tractor needs a CE.
    Even if you have to get the C too, I know it's additional short term hassle but could be better in the long run

That's what i'm telling the OP.

After getting category B, i went off and done C,D & CE in that order, i now have everything but A.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

That's what i'm telling the OP.

After getting category B, i went off and done C,D & CE in that order, i now have everything but A.

+1
    A woodwork teacher use to quote, good to have in the arse pocket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

Yeah you need someone with a full BE licence over 2 years, L plates and extendable mirrors onto the regular mirrors IIRC.

I was stopped and just having the BE provisional was enough.

Was the cop sound?

I had no issue with some of then when I was on a provisional, others threatened to take the car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 152 ✭✭Karangue

Was the cop sound?

I had no issue with some of then when I was on a provisional, others threatened to take the car.

Lol what weight were you towing with the car!

Karangue wrote: »
    Lol what weight were you towing with the car!

I had a provisional B licence only in 2005/6

Got my EB with my artic only 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,869 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They are still letting people go when driving unaccompanied for the B permits, but it's not going to last. There's also the fact that you are not insured if you aren't accompanied and with the recent insurance increases I can see the companies reclaiming costs at some stage.

Extendable mirrors ? I didn't have to have them when I did lessons or the test. It's a box trailer not a caravan behind a fiat panda

Del2005 wrote: »
    They are still letting people go when driving unaccompanied for the B permits, but it's not going to last. There's also the fact that you are not insured if you aren't accompanied and with the recent insurance increases I can see the companies reclaiming costs at some stage.

Yeah it's getting severely out of hand now between provisional drivers and no insurance.

Extendable mirrors ? I didn't have to have them when I did lessons or the test. It's a box trailer not a caravan behind a fiat panda

How long ago did you do the test?

I know of 1 person who did it in a landcruiser this year, she had the lot.

How long ago did you do the test?

I know of 1 person who did it in a landcruiser this year, she had the lot.

Did the test may 2016. And uncle did it a few months back and nothing. L200 I had and Ifor Williams box trailer belonged to the driving instructor and it was 10x5 and had the lift of blocks inside already

• Advertisement

Did the test may 2016. And uncle did it a few months back and nothing. L200 I had and Ifor Williams box trailer belonged to the driving instructor and it was 10x5 and had the lift of blocks inside already

Tri-axle trailer?

Advertisement