Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Animal gifting hunger relief organisations

Options
  • 18-12-2014 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭

This is something that has crossed my mind before....this trend of charities like Trócaire (and many others) that think 'westernising' third world countries is the answer to poverty. Intuitively it seems to make little sense. There is a food crisis not for lack of food but because the way we produce food is unsustainable, i.e. filtering food through animals so that we may eat the animals. So sending animals to poor countries so that they now have even more mouths to feed and more resources being used up doesn't seem particularly helpful. Whenever countries get richer they consume more meat, we've seen China follow this trend in recent times, so what happens, the problem grows, less and less food is available for the poor. That is a simplified view maybe but then I came across this article which looks at the issue in depth.........

http://freefromharm.org/agriculture-environment/10-reasons-to-say-no-to-animal-gifting-hunger-orgs/

Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

This is something I've strangely never really thought about but it's something when you stop and think about it for a minute, it doesn't really sound like a great idea. The article raises a lot of valid points.

The only charity I'm aware of is Bothar, I remember seeing their ads at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

look at this horse****
    Bóthar’s dairy cows have become life saving heroes in many parts of the world. Irish dairy cows will produce up to 20 times as much nutritious milk every day as the average local cow in Uganda, Malawi, and Cameroon.

Milk & cheese from the living gift of a cow instantly improves the diet of an impoverished family and also produces enough milk for them to sell and earn an income. Suddenly mothers and fathers are in a position to purchase food and medicine for their families. Over time they can even send their children to school!

Bóthar also engages in cross-breeding Irish bulls with local cows, producing an animal that gives approximately 25% of an Irish cow’s milk yield - still four times more productive than the local animal!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

What about the food for the cow? the medication? etc.

Zombienosh wrote: »
    What about the food for the cow? the medication? etc.

maybe another charity organisation looks after that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Zombienosh wrote: »
    This is something I've strangely never really thought about but it's something when you stop and think about it for a minute, it doesn't really sound like a great idea. The article raises a lot of valid points.

The only charity I'm aware of is Bothar, I remember seeing their ads at Christmas.

I don't tend to cross the ads that much without a tv, but I just remember seeing one some time and thinking it was an odd concept, forcing our meat bias on poor people. Seems like there has to be a better way. I'm struggling to understand Trocaires gifts....

https://www.trocaire.org/gifts/goat

Here they make it seem like the goats are purely currency? Giving money to send them a goat so they can breed goats so they can sell goats to pay for stuff......what ? I'm confused lol. So are they rearing the goats for food too, and they also have to keep the goats fed, it's a puzzle

• Advertisement

Animal Aid have some interesting articles on this subject:

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS/news_factory//2398/
    Animal Aid first confronted the ‘Send A Cow’ phenomenon four years ago with a blizzard of press, radio and TV coverage triggered by an article I wrote for The Independent newspaper. The message remains the same. It is vastly more efficient to use available agricultural resources (land, labour, energy, water) to feed people directly rather than first passing nutrients through animals. It therefore follows that it is nonsensical to saddle already impoverished communities with a food production system that makes poor use of their available assets. The rich world can afford meat and dairy products only because of our surplus wealth and the financial cosseting of the livestock sector. Recent data show that the average British dairy farmer would make an annual loss of around £18,000 if not for a £32,000 public subsidy (leaving him/her with a £14,000 ‘surplus’).
    Some donor agencies try to confront the inefficiencies and environmentally destructive impact of animal farming by setting up ‘zero-grazing’ regimes where goats, cows and other animals are permanently confined in sheds. But they still need water and food – and, in such cruel and deprived environments, can suffer high levels of disease, early infertility and premature death.
    Which brings us to a central objection to the animal gift schemes that often gets lost in all the debate about production efficiencies and environmental impacts. Animals suffer deprivation, disease and neglect on farms run by full-bellied Westerners. The suffering they endure at the hands of people who haven’t the resources to properly feed them or lay on veterinary support is all too evident.

more: http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS/news_living/ALL/660/
    http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMPAIGNS/living//659//

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I've always been annoyed at this ridiculous form of 'charity' which is nothing more than systematic abuse of animals. The article quoted by the OP compounds this annoyance to the point where I feel something should be done about this. It not only contributes to needless suffering, it also prolongs the intended recipients inability to survive in their own merits with proper assistance rather than this 'feel-good' sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭VickieVexed

I've always detested this form of 'charity'. To me, there is no justification for dragging animals thousands of miles to face a fate worse than death...before they face actual death. These gentle living creatures are treated no better than rubbish.
    My aunt once decided for my Christmas present, she would make a donation on my behalf to Bothar, it made me so angry and let's just say, she didn't receive a thank you card that year.

But of course, most of these organisations would have us believe that the animals travel first class by cruise ship to a destination akin to Paradise.

Dear God, why did I look at the picture of those poor cows on their way to slaughter in the above link?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

BMJD wrote: »

That was pretty insightful all right, especially this part.....

Recent data show that the average British dairy farmer would make an annual loss of around £18,000 if not for a £32,000 public subsidy (leaving him/her with a £14,000 ‘surplus’).

I don't think I've seen that put so clearly before, of course it must be the same in Ireland, farmers rely heavily on government subsidies. There is always this issue of farmers not getting a fair price but the logic of the whole system is so deeply flawed, it's a much bigger issue than the farmers themselves. It really is so undeniable the lengths that people go to, to justify eating animals. Many ecologists would agree that factory farming is bad but they think the answer is to support small scale farming and giving farmers fair prices. It's an idealism because that's so wholly unsustainable in terms of feeding the world's population. I know some ecology students here and I really struggle to understand their thinking.
    I've always been annoyed at this ridiculous form of 'charity' which is nothing more than systematic abuse of animals. The article quoted by the OP compounds this annoyance to the point where I feel something should be done about this. It not only contributes to needless suffering, it also prolongs the intended recipients inability to survive in their own merits with proper assistance rather than this 'feel-good' sham.

Ye it's simply not good for animals or people, it's letting both down, it's so irresponsible. I do feel now as well that those charities need to be confronted with this more. Can any of you think of other irish charities which do this animal gifting?

Advertisement