Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-09-2009, 14:47   #16

Or the unwritten rule

You decide that whatever code came before you were there, is shlte.

And eventually when you are gone, others will come declaring your work shlte too.

And it will go on an on like that.

All this has happened before, and it will happen again .......
Advertisement
28-09-2009, 15:00   #17
voxpop

A place I worked before had this developer - he was rubbish - one of those guys that got into software when companies were hiring anyone who could spell computer.

Anyway this guys is working on a large web app, web pages,com objects,database,etc. He just manages to finish the project (after about 6 month work) before leaving the position. When we go to actually deploy the project we find that it will only run on his machine! Somehow this guy has managed to hardcode his own machines details into the web app so it wont run on any other machine.

There was this other guy who joined the company and was given the task of writing a bunch of stored procedures for an application - just general stuff and reports. All in all there were about 60 stored procedures. The guy is found out to be a dud and let go. (was hired cus he was a mate of one of the managers). Anyway when we finally get around to checking on the work he has done, there is no SQL - its all just comments. So we have 60 SQL procedures just filled with comments on how he was going to select this from that, but no actual SQL.
06-10-2009, 01:00   #18
zynaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazberry View Post
(most of the tables are limited to 4 character names, so table names like mast, mas2, cust, payh, dats, deco, ucod, sprm, and my personal favourate - tits).
That's quite good.
13-12-2009, 01:59   #19
Jako8

Send a message via MSN to Jako8
Didn't know where to post this.

18-12-2009, 16:30   #20
Hobbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxpop View Post
Somehow this guy has managed to hardcode his own machines details into the web app so it wont run on any other machine.
Write an installer to add his machine name to 127.0.0.1
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-12-2009, 16:55   #21
Hellm0

It has been a while since I have had to deal with any real train wrecks, though the worst I have encountered to date would have to be a classic ASP app which utilized inline SQL. On a database with zero normalization and no defined relationships. Bug tracking was a difficult task to say the least.

I think my least favorite thing to hear in a job is the word "Agile". The moment I hear the words "We are an agile shop!" I know to expect nil documentation, no concept of architecture and unreasonable deadlines.
(3) thanks from:
30-12-2009, 11:32   #22

I am only in the industry about 5 years in total but have seen some unmerciful rubbish in my time.

Everywhere I go, I find applications written in classic asp and VB6 in which any rules relating to syntax or commenting are completely ignored. Most managers I come accross fell into software developement and IT by accident and are now completely out of touch with when the likes of .Net is now for example. It is a massive struggle trying to convince these people to allocate time for upgrading to .Net.

There are still to many 'jobs for the boys' in this country as well. Ive lost count of the amount of times that a son/..../nephew of some manager or director has come in to a place where I worked. Also, they all tend to be rubbish.

Last edited by COYW; 30-12-2009 at 11:36.
Thanks from:
13-04-2010, 16:35   #23
oneweb

Send a message via Yahoo to oneweb
Reusing code time and again to workaround the regional setting and non Daylight Saving setting on the internal server in the room next door.
08-05-2010, 00:20   #24

The same field appearing throughout an almost zero normalised database. Renamed something different everytime it appears. Date, StartDate, Current_Date, and sometimes as date and some times as datetime, and sometimes as null, then displaying/sorting records by datatime. Which puts them in a meaningless order.

No meaningful information in the error handlers, so that users think the system has a bug/crashed, and they log a support call each time.

The helpdesk system has more bugs than the system its logging calls on.

Being handed a legacy project, developed over a decade or longer, by too many cooks who couldn't code properly, so no comments, no meaningful names to modules, functions etc, and then expected to fix it when it falls over.

You can do in in access but you shouldn't. But that was 5 yrs ago. No I can't open the database either.

Versioning, they've heard of it. Ditto testing.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-05-2010, 02:11   #25
zynaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonB View Post
No meaningful information in the error handlers, so that users think the system has a bug/crashed, and they log a support call each time.
Aha yes, catching errors with an empty handler - even deleting the autogenerated "e.printStackTrace()". Error handlers that don't handle the error, so things appear to have worked and didn't work, and you have no idea why.
Thanks from:
09-05-2010, 13:06   #26
wobbles-grogan

Need i say more than this?

Code:
public static void main(){
try {
// Imagine entire application here
}
catch (Exception e) { } // end program
}

Last edited by wobbles-grogan; 09-05-2010 at 13:11.
11-05-2010, 18:52   #27
Evil Phil
Contact Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbles-grogan View Post

Code:
try {
}
}
Is that real? If so if not
11-05-2010, 19:06   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbles-grogan View Post

Code:
try {
}
}
Well its better than no error handling, I suppose.
17-05-2010, 16:03   #29

Naming things with the date, but so they do not appear in Date order anywhere.

Jan10
MyFileJan10
30 Jan 2010

Then changing the naming convention randomly but never using one that sorts numerically. Then Imagine this after 15 years, as is the case with the database/app I'm currently working on.
17-05-2010, 17:56   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonB View Post
Then Imagine this after 15 years, as is the case with the database/app I'm currently working on.
Databases are a different kettle of fish. Had one unbelievable whopper before where the database wasnt even in 1NF. It was just one massive table where the same records were entered in month after month and it had been going on for years before I worked there.

I have lost count of the number of times I have come accross dbs with no integrity constraints, indexes, keys, ....... These tables were created by both internal staff and external "consultants".
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion