Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Just starting Chicago by Alaa Al Aswany ..... he wrote The Yacoubian Building so it should be good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    to remind myself what real writing is :)

I know that feeling.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

cosmic wrote: »
    Sebastian Faulks - A Week in December
    Read this last year - was disappointed! How do you find it?

Ella Enchanted, Gail Carson Levine

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

• Advertisement

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

Loved that book ... and the movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Just finished Stalin: Court of the Red Tsar, excellent book if you're anyway interested in Soviet history. It's a fantastic portrait of the private life of Stalin and his cronies, pretty frightening in a way to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭Kiva.D

Just started reading the Winter Book Clubs selection,The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern... Thoroughly enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Reading The Lord of the Rings, perfect time of year, loving every page!:)

Starting Death Comes To Pemberley by P D James

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Callan57 wrote: »
    Starting Death Comes To Pemberley by P D James

Let us know what you think - saw it in the Sunday Times books of the year.

A A Gill, The Angry Island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

I started reading We Need to Talk About Kevin last night. After about two pages, I gave up on it. If the story was directed towards the reader, it would have been ok but are we honestly supposed to believe that a woman would write letters like that to her husband? The whole "Dear Franklin..." writing style annoyed me way too much to bother continuing with it.

So I'm reading Jacob's Room by Virginia Woolf instead. It looks frightfully dull but I've never read anything by Woolf before and my library didn't have much choice so it'll do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I'm still reading Jane Eyre as haven't had time to read at all over the last few weeks. But started back at it again last Fri night and got up at 7am Sat morning to read it and I'm not a morning person. I am absolutely loving it. I don't want it to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

After a 3 month break from reading thanks to college I decided to get back into it. Just started Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo.

It's a bit of a slow starter but I like hte writing style so I'll stick at it for a while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I've just started Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Finished 'Room' by Emma Donoghue last night I loved it.

"The story is told from the perspective of a five-year-boy, Jack, who is being held captive in a small room along with his mother. Donoghue conceived the story after hearing about five-year-old Felix in the Fritzl case" - from Wiki

I really recommend it!

Now I'm reading the Alice in Wonderland books....first time in years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Reading "the hare with the amber eyes" by Edmund de Waal.

Just got my hands on "Gardens of the Moon" by Steven Erikson, can't wait to get stuck in!

Just started Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities this morning, as I've never got around to reading it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Reading The Third Policeman by Flann O Brien.

It is of course all types of madness, but I really like it. I love his humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Friday Night Lights by H. G. Bissenger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭grizzcol2

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John Le Carre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

re reading the hunger games trilogy for the 3rd time.... cant wait for the film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Finished Jane Eyre last night, absolutely loved it. Best book I've read in ages. Halfway through The Rum Diary by Hunter Thompson now
    giddybootz wrote: »
    Finished 'Room' by Emma Donoghue last night I loved it.

"The story is told from the perspective of a five-year-boy, Jack, who is being held captive in a small room along with his mother. Donoghue conceived the story after hearing about five-year-old Felix in the Fritzl case" - from Wiki

I really recommend it!

Now I'm reading the Alice in Wonderland books....first time in years!!

I personally wasn't overly impressed with Room. It was grand but it wasn't a book that made me stay up late and get up early to read it.
    Love Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. Great books

Let us know what you think - saw it in the Sunday Times books of the year

Death Comes To Pemberley is a very enjoyable read. Happily P D James does not interfere with Austin's much loved characters but IMO she does a very credible job grafting a murder mystery onto the lives of the Darcy's, Bingleys et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

Emperor's new mind - R.Penrose

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Secrets by Freya North

Started Roddy Doyle's The Dead Republic last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

The Little Friend, Donna Tartt. Really enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My husband picked up a Danielle steel book from dunnes and its the biggest heap of trash ever ( i never read her books), i have to read it though but cant wait to re-read the hunger games for a 4th time, after that its 'Feed' and maybe 'let me in'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Wicked by Gregory Maguire

Advertisement