Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-03-2019, 13:54   #7546
Vetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell me how View Post
Just finished Milkman by Anna Burns.

Really had to struggle to finish it. It was given to me by someone who had given up after 100 pages. I found the structure of it very intense but I actually enjoyed it between about pages 50 and 300. It was like trying to listen to conversations on 3 radios playing all at once, each sentence had to be considered did it refer to the plot line, the societal environment of the locality or the main characters thoughts on her own existence. Turning each page to see another two pages with barely a break for dialog or paragraphs added to the sense that an awful lot was going on.

Spoiler: But, I found it meandered to an ending and I couldn't say I got anything from the part where her mother became the focus with her anxieties and worries. And she never challenged or explored the experience she observed with her maybe boyfriend or what it meant to their relationship retrospectively.
I have the audio book version of Milkman and what you're saying here comes through on it as well. It's very intense narration and difficult to listen to, and it's like there is no let up in it at any point.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 09:34   #7547
blondeonblonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionelNashe View Post
Almost finished Brighton Rock by Graham Greene on Audible - never heard of him before, somehow, but I'll probably try a couple more of his books.
I really enjoyed The Human Factor, one of his spy ones. Very good read. Tried twice to read The Heart of the Matter but couldn't get through it, v bleak. As others have said, the Quiet American is also good although I preferred the Human Factor.

Currently reading Lolita on the strength of a recommendation on here. It's like nothing I've ever read before. It's beautifully written but it's engrossing, repulsive & hilarious all in one breath.
(2) thanks from:
09-03-2019, 12:01   #7548
TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just finishing up 'Our Souls at Night' by Kent Haruf.
A lot simpler than some of his other books but he somehow manages to convey so much with quite sparse writing.
11-03-2019, 09:52   #7549
miamee

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamee View Post
Tombland - C.J. Sansom. Looking forward to reading it.
Since this is such a tome and not suited to carrying to and from work, I am also reading The Wall by John Lanchester - interesting so far.
13-03-2019, 00:22   #7550
Callan57

A House in Norway by Vigdis Hjorth
Advertisement
13-03-2019, 09:21   #7551
Tell me how

Anthony De Mello - Awareness

So far it is one of those books of someone telling you to pay close attention to what he is telling you to do, which is, to not pay close attention to what anyone tells you to do.
Thanks from:
14-03-2019, 12:40   #7552
Dial Hard

I'm on a break from Milkman for the same reasons noted by others already. I will go back to it eventually. In the meantime I re-read The Passage by Justin Cronin, then two books this week. Elevation by Stephen King, which was really more of a short story than anything. Felt like something he might have scribbled on the back of an envelope while waiting on a plane or something once. Definitely not worth the hardback price.

Followed that with A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan. Very standard "something going bump in the attic of a haunted house" potboilery stuff. You'll spot the "twist" about a quarter of the way in.

Started The Familiars by Stacey Halls yesterday. Too early to make much of a judgement yet.

I reckon then I might be ready to go back to Milkman after all that brain-fluff.
19-03-2019, 17:57   #7553
Callan57

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell
23-03-2019, 22:01   #7554
Ipso

The Last Armada/Hell or some worse place by Des Ekin. About the siege of Kinsale in 1601 and looks at the main players of the English, Irish and Spanish. About a third of the way through, ruddy good read.
Advertisement
30-03-2019, 15:52   #7555
Callan57

Bellman & Black by Diane Setterfield
Really loved The Thirteenth Tale so hope this maintains the standard.
06-04-2019, 22:00   #7556
branie2

Pet Sematary by Stephen King
07-04-2019, 01:14   #7557
Callan57

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides
08-04-2019, 15:56   #7558
LionelNashe

Listening to Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy - am thinking though that it's a book I'd rather read than listen to.

Am reading A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James - about 100 pages in - it's not exactly addictive reading so far.
12-04-2019, 11:57   #7559
miamee

Into The Water - Paula Hawkins. I think this will be a quick, somewhat forgettable read. Nowhere near as good as The Girl on The Train though it did pick up pace a bit this morning. Maybe it'll get better, I'm finding all of the characters a bit confusing.
15-04-2019, 12:05   #7560
Sleazy Rider

Just about finished the Bobiverse trilogy by Dennis E Taylor. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion