Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Open Source Projects

• 05-11-2014 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

The Rules:

This thread is for any open source projects that need additional contributors. If you're posting in here you need to include:
    • A description of the project including what the project is for, where, and how it will be used
    • A link to the project site
    • The contributors' rights within the project (what licence their code is published under etc)
    • What you'd like contributors to do (development, design, testing, etc)
    • Your role within the project
    • If there is a commercial angle to the code that needs to be explained as well e.g. This is an open source project but my company make money by providing addiitional technical support for the software. Include a link to that company.

Please do not discuss the project on this thread, you may do that either by PM or start a new thread.

Job adverts should be posted on the Situations Vacant sticky.

All posts will be auto-deleted after 3 months unless a request to not do so is received.

Please note: Any projects posted in here are not endorsed or supported by boards.ie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

FreeCAD - parametric 3D modelling CAD software. Features: http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?title=Feature_list
    TL;DR: all things replated to CAD, from 3D printing to boat design.
    A link to the project site: http://freecadweb.org/
    Licence: LGPL, details: http://freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?title=Licence
    What you'd like contributors to do: Whatever they can/wish to do, from documentation/icon design, code cleaning, testing, bug reporting, suggesting or coding improvements to work with 3D kernel. The project is written in python/C++ with very strong pressure on python scripting easily accessible for user.
    Your role within the project: active contributor, but I'm not a core developer, so my request for help is unofficial. I'm mostly working with FEM workbench http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?title=Fem_Workbench
    If there is a commercial angle to the code: no there is not as far as I'm aware. It a project run by a small team of core developers

FreeCAD showcases: https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=FreeCAD+showcase&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=WoyBVffPLYjR-QGq94H4BA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1280&bih=927

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

LGPL? No thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

LGPL? No thanks...

Why?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

rock22 wrote: »
    Why?

You won't get an answer, that poster rarely posts anything except to stir a row or cause controversy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I've always found LGPL to be fair - if you change it, you have to share your changes, but if you simply use it, you don't. It's common for OS libraries, making the library open but allowing it to be called by a non-OS program.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

bpmurray wrote: »
    I've always found LGPL to be fair - if you change it, you have to share your changes, but if you simply use it, you don't. It's common for OS libraries, making the library open but allowing it to be called by a non-OS program.

I agree that the LGPL is fair. However, if you have strong objections to the GPL, you must strongly object to the LGPL because of its upgrade clause, where anybody can, for any reason or at any time, convert any LGPL licensed codebase to GPL licensed.

I'm not personally keen on the GPL. Older open source code of mine was licensed under LGPL with the GPL upgrade clause removed, because that was the most appropriate license around back then. More recently, I just use Apache v2, which some people are required by their Legal departments to not permit their eyes to gaze upon lest they become contaminated, but to be honest said Legal departments need to get with the times.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

If you're looking for the most free licence, BSD is the one to go for. When starting a new project some years ago, I checked with our corporate IP lawyers and they recommended that.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

If you're looking for the most free licence, BSD is the one to go for. When starting a new project some years ago, I checked with our corporate IP lawyers and they recommended that.

You almost certainly mean "modified BSD license" here, not "BSD license".

The original licence required all software incorporating BSD licensed software to advertise its use. This is why all Microsoft products have the phrase "This product includes software developed by BSD Unix" or similar.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_licenses for lots more gory detail.

Wrt whether BSD is a good license to use or not, it's a great choice for the US, but could be problematic elsewhere, especially in Germany. The newer licenses e.g. Apache v2 are much more globally portable because they were written from a global, rather than US, legal standpoint.

I would strongly recommend to choose a major licence i.e. one of the most popular licenses for an open source project wherever possible, preferring more recently designed licenses over older ones. Choosing one of the major licenses means Legal departments can cope with your license choice, whereas choosing a lesser known licence means they'll simply say no. Obviously GPL will cause most Legal departments to also say no.

Niall

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Regular GPL does NOT force you to share any code changes either? Not unless you are distributing it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

So back on topic regarding open source projects. I released a tool written in C#, which runs on Linux and Windows as a service 6 years ago. The purpose of the application was to move a file from a working directory to an FTP server, securely. The service would check the folder every 5 minutes, looking for files, and any files present in the folder would be uploaded immediately.

The overall aim was to allow for automation of FTP file upload, a fire and forget type of application. Copy a file to the directory and forget about it.

I know it's fairly sounds basic and all information or configurations required, are amended in a properties file. So I might update it for 2020 with a GUI, as someone might have a use for such an application. Secure code will also be necessary, and next time I might develop it in Java.

https://www.codester.com/items/288/secure-ftp-upload-written-in-c

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    next time I might develop it in Java.
    If you decide to do that then check out the Apache Camel project - its FTP component allows for SFTP too.

Using it might reduce your application to a few lines of code, however, and take all the fun out of it! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

croo wrote: »
    If you decide to do that then check out the Apache Camel project - its FTP component allows for SFTP too.

Using it might reduce your application to a few lines of code, however, and take all the fun out of it! :)

Don't mind taking the fun out of it :P It'll be a project for github this time, as opposed to codester.

Advertisement