Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

18-06-2013, 10:54   #1
petethedrummer

I've Joined a Cult

About 3 and 1/2 months ago, I changed my diet completely. Call it Atkins, paleo, primal or whatever..... it is a very high (saturated) fat, low carbohydrate way of eating. I have pretty much eliminated all sugar, grain, potatoes, pasta, fruit juices, beans, pulses and rice from my diet. For the last 3 months I have had 2 sausage, 2 bacon, 2 eggs and a bit of cheese for breakfast and have never felt better. All cooked in Lard or Butter when I do it. The work canteen grills it all, so thankfully I am not ingesting any vegetable oils.

For the next month or so I'm going to post some links to information for anyone who is interested in this. If you disagree with the information in the videos I would suggest that you address your complaints to the scientists/doctors/nutritionists in the videos and not to me. I am only an amateur.

So what made me think this would be a good idea?

It started with this article: http://www.runnersworld.co.za/nutrit...dietary-ideas/
and this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsx72V4IpJY

Tim Noakes is not a Quack: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Noakes
Advertisement
18-06-2013, 11:06   #2
petethedrummer

But what about your cholestorol?

Here is a multi-part interview with world leading lipidologist Thomas Dayspring and award winning science journalist Gary Taubes. It puts me at ease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRoxv...11A5A5&index=1

Taubes deserves a nobel prize for his writing on nutrition.
18-06-2013, 11:16   #3
wildlifeboy

jesus what a boring pain in the hole that would be to only eat that stuff for the rest of your life. i would rather be a little lumpy than suffer through all that nonsense!
18-06-2013, 11:20   #4
yop

Did something like this for a few months a few years ago, worked well for maybe 10 weeks and then boredom sat in and I couldn't handle the taste of any more fries. I did lost about 1/2 stone in total, but it went on again rapidly.

Then about 3 years ago I changed my diet to smaller more regular portions and did daily exercise, running and cycling and have thrown off nearly 3 stone.

Each to their own, but short term it might have a result but long term it might cause more harm.
(3) thanks from:
18-06-2013, 11:23   #5
petethedrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlifeboy View Post
jesus what a boring pain in the hole that would be to only eat that stuff for the rest of your life. i would rather be a little lumpy than suffer through all that nonsense!
Depends what you consider suffering. On a regular diet I suffer from blood sugar drops, constant tiredness, an inability to get out of bed, muscle inflammation post excercise, general irritability (no way!), constantly run down. All eliminated. You might be grand on a high carb diet. Some people thrive on that. Some of us don't.
Advertisement
18-06-2013, 11:30   #6
yop

Quote:
Originally Posted by petethedrummer View Post
Depends what you consider suffering. On a regular diet I suffer from blood sugar drops, constant tiredness, an inability to get out of bed, muscle inflammation post excercise, general irritability (no way!), constantly run down. All eliminated. You might be grand on a high carb diet. Some people thrive on that. Some of us don't.
Thats not a regular diet, thats just gimmick. If you take in the right portions, eat good food, non processed as much as possible and get plenty of sleep you will not suffer those. Inflammation isn't a dietary cause, see your GP or physio.
18-06-2013, 11:32   #7
petethedrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yop View Post
Did something like this for a few months a few years ago, worked well for maybe 10 weeks and then boredom sat in and I couldn't handle the taste of any more fries. I did lost about 1/2 stone in total, but it went on again rapidly.
I didn't have any weight problem. My BMI was in the normal range. I changed my diet for the other wellness issues mentioned.

Quote:
Each to their own, but short term it might have a result but long term it might cause more harm.
Unless my body is playing once massive practical joke on me then I would say this is healthy for me. I'm still waiting for it to kick back and tell me this is wrong. I went into this expecting it to be wrong but it I have no reason yet to believe so. I will update if it all goes horribly wrong. I'll be getting a cholestorol check in the next week or two. I'll get some historical results from my doctor so that I can make a comparisron. At my last check (about 3 years ago) he said it was slightly high.

Last edited by petethedrummer; 18-06-2013 at 11:40.
18-06-2013, 11:39   #8
petethedrummer

Quote:
Thats not a regular diet, thats just gimmick. If you take in the right portions, eat good food, non processed as much as possible and get plenty of sleep you will not suffer those.
When I said High carb diet in the previous post. I meant relative to the amount I eat now. It was not 80% of my diet or anything bonkers like that. I always got plenty of sleep in fact I am probably the best sleeper I know and had a healthy diet. Maybe slightly too much sugar. Had a balanced diet, have a lots of good options in the work canteen (fresh fruit / Salad counter / fish / lean meat). I cook pretty much all my own meals and eat very little processed food. And excercised portion control.

Quote:
Inflammation isn't a dietary cause, see your GP or physio.
Well I'll have to disagree on that. Been to a physio. main piece of advise. Take in a load of carbs after excercise! to restore glycogen. I didn't bother arguing.

Last edited by petethedrummer; 18-06-2013 at 11:42.
18-06-2013, 11:42   #9
wildlifeboy

Quote:
wow well i have none of those problems so if it works for you then so be it. i look after what i eat for the most part. lean meat, veg, fruit, oily fish, minimal dairy, hardly any starchy carbs. no chips. roast potatoes of a sunday

excercise three times a week minimum trying for 5 at present. i am 12 stone on the nose at 5.11 height. defo need to cut out the beer or severly cut down.
Advertisement
18-06-2013, 11:43   #10
Lumen

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Specifically, what about the meals other than breakfast? Or do you just eat three breakfasts a day?
(3) thanks from:
18-06-2013, 12:00   #11
petethedrummer

Quote:
wow well i have none of those problems so if it works for you then so be it. i look after what i eat for the most part. lean meat, veg, fruit, oily fish, minimal dairy, hardly any starchy carbs. no chips. roast potatoes of a sunday
I had already known that starchy/stodgy meals made me sleepy. So I mostly ate salads in work anyway. I still do have the occasional spud with a roast, a bit of brown bread here and there with a salad and a bun on my double quarter pounder on a night out. So to say I eat 0 carbs may be an exaggeration, but my consumption is tending towards 0.

Quote:
excercise three times a week minimum trying for 5 at present. i am 12 stone on the nose at 5.11 height. defo need to cut out the beer or severly cut down.
I am almost exactly the same build as you. And was exercising 4-5 days a week. I have now stopped drinking beer and sugary shorts (was never much of a fan) and now mainly drink red wine and the occasional Guinness. Hangovers are drastically reduced as long as I don't get mouldy drunk. I would often have to stay in bed till 7pm to get over a night out even as a young fella. The monday/tuesday fear has been eliminated and can only be induced by going on an all weekend bender.
18-06-2013, 12:07   #12
yop

Quote:
When I said High carb diet in the previous post. I meant relative to the amount I eat now. It was not 80% of my diet or anything bonkers like that. I always got plenty of sleep in fact I am probably the best sleeper I know and had a healthy diet. Maybe slightly too much sugar. Had a balanced diet, have a lots of good options in the work canteen (fresh fruit / Salad counter / fish / lean meat). I cook pretty much all my own meals and eat very little processed food. And excercised portion control.

Well I'll have to disagree on that. Been to a physio. main piece of advise. Take in a load of carbs after excercise! to restore glycogen. I didn't bother arguing.
That alone would keep your weight up. Its to understand what your body can and can't take. Its like eating well all week and then having 10 pints at the weekend, your not going to lose a lb of week.
500 cals extra over the week equates circa 1/2 lb gain.

If you type in "Cocaine is good" into youtube, you will probably find someone who is promoting cocaine.

As I said each to their own, but short term "results" won't determine a diet like that long term. I have been there and tried them all, fads at the end of the day.
Eat right, measure it, understand it and then you will get results.
18-06-2013, 12:09   #13
yop

Quote:
I had already known that starchy/stodgy meals made me sleepy. So I mostly ate salads in work anyway. I still do have the occasional spud with a roast, a bit of brown bread here and there with a salad and a bun on my double quarter pounder on a night out. So to say I eat 0 carbs may be an exaggeration, but my consumption is tending towards 0.

I am almost exactly the same build as you. And was exercising 4-5 days a week. I have now stopped drinking beer and sugary shorts (was never much of a fan) and now mainly drink red wine and the occasional Guinness. Hangovers are drastically reduced as long as I don't get mouldy drunk. I would often have to stay in bed till 7pm to get over a night out even as a young fella. The monday/tuesday fear has been eliminated and can only be induced by going on an all weekend bender.
Get off the fry up diet and you will lose even more weight. What you changed above alone would have reduced your weight.
18-06-2013, 12:24   #14
petethedrummer

Quote:
Get off the fry up diet and you will lose even more weight. What you changed above alone would have reduced your weight.
I don't need to lose weight. My BMI is fine and has been fine for years. Ask anyone on the Evil 200.

That's me in the red pre-diet change. It was roughly 23.7 depending on whether I had taken a dump or not. Though I didn't own a weight scale so my weight was only checked infrequently when at my parents house.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...postcount=1395
18-06-2013, 12:29   #15
yop

Ok, so you didn't need to lose weight and all your stats are ok.

It will be interesting to see what the results are in a years time for sure.

Good luck with it.
Thread Closed