Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Hiking with all the snow

• 25-01-2019 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if hiking is considered a sport but anyway.

Looking for ideas for a winter location in Europe for hiking and trekking in deep deep snow.

Deepest snow at resorts at present seems to be Andermatt in Switzerland but I'm thinking that is an expensive location.

Travel would be around first week in March, anyone know of somewhere for hiking and some snowmobiling maybe that is good value and has loads of snow and normally still cold in first week of March?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Villain wrote: »
    Not sure if hiking is considered a sport but anyway.

Looking for ideas for a winter location in Europe for hiking and trekking in deep deep snow.

Deepest snow at resorts at present seems to be Andermatt in Switzerland but I'm thinking that is an expensive location.

Travel would be around first week in March, anyone know of somewhere for hiking and some snowmobiling maybe that is good value and has loads of snow and normally still cold in first week of March?

Snow shoeing maybe? Or ski touring. Never heard of people just hiking through the snow, that wouldn't be great craic - austria popular for that stuff I think. Chamonix probably too. Look at ski resort websites for "other activities"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Have you done it before? I'd have thought you'd be dead within minutes.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

cormee wrote: »
    Have you done it before? I'd have thought you'd be dead within minutes.:eek:

Done some in New Hampshire in -27c, just need to keep skin covered but more snow shoeing than hiking as previous poster said.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Done some in New Hampshire in -27c, just need to keep skin covered but more snow shoeing than hiking as previous poster said.

SkiWelt had a good bit of info on walking routes when I was there, seemed to be well supported by their tourist board.

Most resorts will offer stuff like that to sell them to non skiers married to ski addicts who would otherwise be inflicted with the boredom of a ski resort without skiing

• Advertisement

Looking for ideas for a winter location in Europe for hiking and trekking in deep deep snow

Cruagh? ;)

Looks superb - even mast looks great caked in ice

Could definitely ski that and probably down access road if there was enough as its quite steep?

View north / east from lug looks unreal - did you need crampons or anything getting up? Tempted to give it a craic if I get a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭prunudo

Villain, were you using snow shoes or just walking up in hiking boots, half tempted to purchase a pair for when we get weather like this.

• Advertisement

I just had boots on but will be getting some snowshoes, the hike up Lug in boots was a great workout though :D

Advertisement