Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Everyone is biased?

• 18-09-2017 9:06pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,986 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Max Weber in Economy & Society (1922) suggested that no one was value free. Everyone was biased. Does this suggest that court judges were biased too, and not impartial? Were football referees, police officers, and scientific researchers biased? Was there anyone you can think of that was not biased in some way? Comments? Arguments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Is it possible to be biased, but impartial? I know when acting as a match official in games involving my own club, I'd be naturally biased towards my own side, but I tried to act in an impartial way. In some cases, I probably went too far the other way because I was aware of my natural bias.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,986 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

seagull wrote: »
    Is it possible to be biased, but impartial?
    A troublesome ethics question. Affecting many judgment structures in society.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Fathom wrote: »
    Max Weber in Economy & Society (1922) suggested that no one was value free. Everyone was biased. Does this suggest that court judges were biased too, and not impartial? Were football referees, police officers, and scientific researchers biased? Was there anyone you can think of that was not biased in some way?

Comments? Arguments?
    I think bias does have an impact, but it does vary. This is why peer review is so important (assuming no groupthink is taking place, which does happen). Likewise with court cases where you can appeal a decision and now in football where the video camera becomes a referee aid (not introduced yet but will be on the way). Bias will always be there, it all depends on how it is dealt with. So I do think pretty much everybody has some form of bias in one way or another, but that does not necessarily mean it manifests itself in all cases. Different individuals can have a handle on it. Awareness of one's own biases being key here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Feral children who were not raised in human society would imo be the only humans capable of non-biased thinking/judgement.
    The rest of us are.

I guess A.I. could be considered free from bias but is it limited by its code parameters?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,986 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

mzungu wrote: »
    I think bias does have an impact, but it does vary.
    Subject to variation in human behavior.
    This is why peer review is so important (assuming no groupthink is taking place, which does happen).
    Intersubjectivity to increase reliability.
    Likewise with court cases where you can appeal a decision
    "Money talks and OJ walks." Dream Team and socio-economic status bias.
    and now in football where the video camera becomes a referee aid (not introduced yet but will be on the way).
    NFL football ref decisions reversed today due to vid replays.
    Awareness of one's own biases being key here.
    Ethnographic fieldwork notes of self-bias one approach.
    Feral children who were not raised in human society would imo be the only humans capable of non-biased thinking/judgement.
    Interesting observation. Would you please consider expanding upon it?
    I guess A.I. could be considered free from bias but is it limited by its code parameters?
    What about programmer content and context bias. Storyboarding bias?

• Advertisement
Advertisement