Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EB License for towing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Tri-axle trailer?

No. Twin.

I have a 6ft 6 wide cattle trailer here and mirrors on jeep are fine with it even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

No. Twin.

I have a 6ft 6 wide cattle trailer here and mirrors on jeep are fine with it even.

She's still a bulky trailer, especially at that width.

How do you find the jeep for pulling with cattle on board?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Did it earlier in the year, just got the provisional (theory test was recent enough to count) and booked the test the same day, got a date about a month/6weeks later bout L played the night before and loaded up the cattle box with 4inch blocks. Got on ok on the test and passed not much to it test wise really except checking mirrors in an obvious way and often enough for the tester.

Also has anyone actually got proof of this crack that "you need a ce license to move a digger with a tractor" I've never one seen it mentioned on any of the official paper work, be it rsa or statute docs, the sceptic in me thinks it was started as a rumour by truck hauliers getting fed up of lads undercutting them for moving diggers years ago, the same with tri axle trailers, I've never once seen it specifically written. The only real issue with tri axle trailers is the weight as there generally a big trailer that's easily overloaded.

She's still a bulky trailer, especially at that width.

How do you find the jeep for pulling with cattle on board?

Twin axle fine. The trailer is demoubtable type but I switched from land rover to demoubtable. I wount be doing a lot of road work really.

L200 grand in front of her for 2.5. Loads of torque.

Zr105 wrote: »
    Did it earlier in the year, just got the provisional (theory test was recent enough to count) and booked the test the same day, got a date about a month/6weeks later bout L played the night before and loaded up the cattle box with 4inch blocks. Got on ok on the test and passed not much to it test wise really except checking mirrors in an obvious way and often enough for the tester.

Also has anyone actually got proof of this crack that "you need a ce license to move a digger with a tractor" I've never one seen it mentioned on any of the official paper work, be it rsa or statute docs, the sceptic in me thinks it was started as a rumour by truck hauliers getting fed up of lads undercutting them for moving diggers years ago, the same with tri axle trailers, I've never once seen it specifically written. The only real issue with tri axle trailers is the weight as there generally a big trailer that's easily overloaded.

W licence is tractor and trailer and no weight limit Once the trailer and tractor meets the regulations since Jan 2016.

Also some rule about commercial use of over 100km from your address in a tractor. But that's for commercial tractor tax not agri tractor tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Wigster

You now need a Public Service Card to apply for the theory test.

If it was me I'd do the CE.
    Anyone pulling a digger on a low loader behind a tractor needs a CE.
    Even if you have to get the C too, I know it's additional short term hassle but could be better in the long run

They don't, you only ever need a W for pulling with a tractor. Whoever told you otherwise is taking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

A farce.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jraeh3omkomxi4u/2013-07-07%2015.00.13.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/b443sgqhpkxfohx/2015-06-13%2020.46.42-1.jpg?dl=0
    Anyone with a full licence can operate the setup in second pic as it's covered under W. Very few ever do the test for W class.
    Driving the setup in first pic is illegal without BE.

A farce.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jraeh3omkomxi4u/2013-07-07%2015.00.13.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/b443sgqhpkxfohx/2015-06-13%2020.46.42-1.jpg?dl=0
    Anyone with a full licence can operate the setup in second pic as it's covered under W. Very few ever do the test for W class.
    Driving the setup in first pic is illegal without BE.

Both examples should be illegal. A Land Rover and a John deere

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

Got it last year. Took two lessons but it really is back to basics and a big inconvenience. Reckon it costs about 500 euro for everything. I too was stopped the first time I went towing after I got it and they looked for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

Del2005 wrote: »
    They are still letting people go when driving unaccompanied for the B permits, but it's not going to last. There's also the fact that you are not insured if you aren't accompanied and with the recent insurance increases I can see the companies reclaiming costs at some stage.

I'm talking about having a full B licence with a provisional BE.

I don't think you need to be accompanied by a full BE licence holder in this scenario. At least guard said I was fine when I was stopped.

arctictree wrote: »

I don't think you need to be accompanied by a full BE licence holder in this scenario. At least guard said I was fine when I was stopped.

You actually do, but this is Ireland, in relation to the cops, they aren't exactly in the news for the right reasons lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭alps

They don't, you only ever need a W for pulling with a tractor. Whoever told you otherwise is taking nonsense.

The classification may be for the usage of the vehicle....are you sure that the W licence extends from agricultural use to industrial use? The difference in diesel usage between agriculture and industrial/haulage is well defined..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

arctictree wrote: »

All learners apart from bikes need to be accompanied
    Accompaniment
    All learner permit holders, with the exception of those who hold a learner permit in category A1, A2, A, or AM (Mopeds), must be accompanied by a qualified driver at all times while driving. A qualified driver is one who holds a full licence for a continuous period of two years in respect of the vehicle category being driven by the learner permit holder.

No offence to our Gadaí but a lot of them have no idea of the law, they are still telling people that they need a 4x4 to tow a twin axle trailer.

alps wrote: »
    The classification may be for the usage of the vehicle....are you sure that the W licence extends from agricultural use to industrial use? The difference in diesel usage between agriculture and industrial/haulage is well defined..

Classification is for the class of vehicle not for usage. I want to drive a trunk for private use I still need a C licence. You only ever need a W licence to drive a tractor regardless of usage as there is no mechanism to require any other type of licence.

As for diesel usage, you will travel a long way around the country before you find a tractor used for construction etc running on white diesel. Any builder I have worked with/had dealings with all ran their tractors on green. I've even gone through a customs check point myself hauling an excavator and was waved straight through without a second thought (I was driving for a builder and the tractor was running on green).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Have a 12"x5"10 for the jeep here and a tractor trailer if I have bigger numbers to shift. So I've looked into the rigeraramole of getting the trailer license and
    1) I have to get to a public service card to apply for the theory test
    2) take and hopefully pass said test
    3) apply for provisional license
    4) pay for lessons for something that I've been doing for 20 years
    5) take the full test.
    Sounds incredibly like a money racket to me but I don't fancy the hassle of being stopped or lectured. So I bit the bullet.......
    And bought a ball pin for the tractor drawbar.

The 20km jaunt to the factory only takes half an hour, 5 mins longer than by jeep and there's never any fear of the trailer throwing the tractor around. Also burns way less diesel when there's 4 bullocks or cows jumping around the trailer. I now prefer a tractor for a live load.

lefthooker wrote: »
    Have a 12"x5"10 for the jeep here and a tractor trailer if I have bigger numbers to shift. So I've looked into the rigeraramole of getting the trailer license and
    1) I have to get to a public service card to apply for the theory test
    2) take and hopefully pass said test
    3) apply for provisional license
    4) pay for lessons for something that I've been doing for 20 years
    5) take the full test.
    Sounds incredibly like a money racket to me but I don't fancy the hassle of being stopped or lectured. So I bit the bullet.......
    And bought a ball pin for the tractor drawbar.

The 20km jaunt to the factory only takes half an hour, 5 mins longer than by jeep and there's never any fear of the trailer throwing the tractor around. Also burns way less diesel when there's 4 bullocks or cows jumping around the trailer. I now prefer a tractor for a live load.

You don't need to get any lessons unless you want to.

Oh right. Didn't know that. I was told different by the NDLS when I inquired.

If you have a B licence there is no requirement for lessons to sit a EB test. You also don't need to resit the theory test if you already did it though I guess if you are driving over 20 years you wouldn't have sat it already.

That's not to say its not a pain to have to do it even if its just a matter of sitting the test as in my case as I have the theory test as it just came in when I was applying for my W licence at 16 (about 16 years ago). Especially as I've been pulling all sorts of trailers for years (both with cars/vans/jeeps and tractors)

If you have a B licence there is no requirement for lessons to sit a EB test. You also don't need to resit the theory test if you already did it though I guess if you are driving over 20 years you wouldn't have sat it already.

That's not to say its not a pain to have to do it even if its just a matter of sitting the test as in my case as I have the theory test as it just came in when I was applying for my W licence at 16 (about 16 years ago). Especially as I've been pulling all sorts of trailers for years (both with cars/vans/jeeps and tractors)

Same here. Been pulling all size trailers and machinery behind jeeps and tractors.

There was no theory test when I got the B license. What I hate about the theory test is I can pass today and fail tomorrow by a mark or two because the same questions can have multiple equally correct answers. And it's never the logical one:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There was no theory test when I got the B license. What I hate about the theory test is I can pass today and fail tomorrow by a mark or two because the same questions can have multiple equally correct answers. And it's never the logical one:confused:

The questions only ever have 1 correct answer, there are some questions that similar. Just get the theory test or DVD book from your local library and study it.

Del2005 wrote: »
    The questions only ever have 1 correct answer, there are some questions that similar. Just get the theory test or DVD book from your local library and study it.

What I mean is when doing the practice test online, in the set of 40 questions the same question can be asked multiple times with different options each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

lefthooker wrote:

No you don't but I would highly recommend you get one and a pre test. It's not that easy to do the test. Especially the reversing. I thought the lessons were useful and I probably would have failed otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Both examples should be illegal. A Land Rover and a John deere

Wouldn't be so funny if every farmer in the country had to do a test to get W on their licence. A huge cash cow waiting to be milked.
    Going by this country's increasing love of bureaucracy Id say that it will become a requirement in the future. Tractors today are a far cry from Massey 135 and ford 4000.
    Tractor NCT on the way.

Wouldn't be so funny if every farmer in the country had to do a test to get W on their licence. A huge cash cow waiting to be milked.
    Going by this country's increasing love of bureaucracy Id say that it will become a requirement in the future. Tractors today are a far cry from Massey 135 and ford 4000.
    Tractor NCT on the way.

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/tractor-nct-everything-you-need-to-know-262014

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

W licence is tractor and trailer and no weight limit Once the trailer and tractor meets the regulations since Jan 2016.

Also some rule about commercial use of over 100km from your address in a tractor. But that's for commercial tractor tax not agri tractor tax.

That's exactly what I meant, I've never once seen it officially written that you need a c licence to tow a digger yet plenty online seem to think that is the case.

I do know that a lot of insurance compnies do not cover you to move a digger for someone else unless you have specifically listed it when setting out the policy.

Where the guards can get you is that if you are moving the digger, or a load of stone etc, for hire and reward purposes the tractor is supposed to be taxed for haulage at €300 odd instead of the regular Agri tax of €102

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Confused by this. I don't have an EB Licence (learner form says 'BE', by the way.
    I decided to get it sorted at last so got an application form in the local Garda Station. Form is for 'Learner Permit D201'. So if I go down this route, I get a Learner EB Licence but still need a fully qualified EB driver with me????? :D
    I'm drving over 30 years without an accident.

Or will they give me a Profisional Licence instead and I put up P plates?

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Confused by this. I don't have an EB Licence (learner form says 'BE', by the way.
    I decided to get it sorted at last so got an application form in the local Garda Station. Form is for 'Learner Permit D201'. So if I go down this route, I get a Learner EB Licence but still need a fully qualified EB driver with me????? :D

Whilst towing a trailer on your provisional EB license legally you’re suppose to have a qualified driver accompany you. Your insurance could be null and void if you were unfortunate enough to have an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Depending on when you got your B licence you may need to do the theory test, I had to do mine, pain in the home and much of the questions are vague.

Then pop along to the licence office, i didn’t bother with an appt just called in, filed in form there and they processed the application straight away, BE learned permit came 10 days later and lasts two years.
    My plan is to take few lessons and hire the school jeep for the test. €450 for 4 lessons and the use of the jeep for the test.

You need a BE licence holder with you if you are using your BE learner permit, and I think L plates too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

I got my BE provisional 3 years ago. Had to renew it last year. Been stopped a number of times by guards and they were just happy I had the licence. Said nothing about L plates or being accompanied.

Advertisement