Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bleeding a diesel engine - mini digger

• 27-11-2019 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

HI,

Hoping someone can help.

Mini digger wont start. Its an old machine.

Turns okay, and tries to start occasionally, but no joy. Good bit of white smoke .
    Was going okay a few months back before I parked it.

I put a small diesel tank in the cab , and fed directly (green pipes), but still the same. So diesel coming grand to injector.

Just wondering where the best place to bleed is - do I open where I have the red circle, or where I have the green circles in the attached picture?

And where is the bleeding screw?

Any help much appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

HI,

Hoping someone can help.

Mini digger wont start. Its an old machine.

Turns okay, and tries to start occasionally, but no joy. Good bit of white smoke .
    Was going okay a few months back before I parked it.

I put a small diesel tank in the cab , and fed directly (green pipes), but still the same. So diesel coming grand to injector.

Just wondering where the best place to bleed is - do I open where I have the red circle, or where I have the green circles in the attached picture?

And where is the bleeding screw?

Any help much appreciated.

I would start bleeding at the stud that faces towards the camera where the green and black pipe meet in the pump. It has a hex head and slot for a screwdriver. Once pure diesel is coming there move to the top of each injector where the diesel pipe attaches.

Loosen each in turn and crank until again the air is gone, this is a bit of guess work as the pressures diesel will foam a bit.

Make sure that the system isn’t drawing in air, it’s something that happens at worn joints or fractured lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

Thanks Brian
    _Brian wrote: »
    I would start bleeding at the stud that faces towards the camera where the green and black pipe meet in the pump. It has a hex head and slot for a screwdriver.

Iv done this - all is good

Once pure diesel is coming there move to the top of each injector where the diesel pipe attaches.

Is this where I have the green circles marked on the photo?

Loosen each in turn and crank until again the air is gone, this is a bit of guess work as the pressures diesel will foam a bit.

Make sure that the system isn’t drawing in air, it’s something that happens at worn joints or fractured lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Is it using water? White smoke would seem to indicate water leaking into the engine.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Is it using water? White smoke would seem to indicate water leaking into the engine.

would most diesels not have white smoke on start up?

There would. I thought you were saying there was a lot it.

Is there bleed screws on the pump? From your photo, they should be down further from the red mark, more on on the pump body itself. Usually a low pressure one, feeding the pump and a high presure one. Work on the low first.

Is there a manual lift pump?

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement

There would. I thought you were saying there was a lot it.

Is there bleed screws on the pump? From your photo, they should be down further from the red mark, more on on the pump body itself. Usually a low pressure one, feeding the pump and a high presure one. Work on the low first.

Is there a manual lift pump?

Hi
    see attached front view of the pump. i cant tell where the bleed screws are - any ideas?

Photos shows manual pump button.

Hard to tell from that view but could it be the bolt shown by the yellow arrow? It seems to have been opened a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Thanks Brian

Iv done this - all is good

Is this where I have the green circles marked on the photo?

Yes.
    Where the green circles are

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Lossen the connection at each injector, swing engine until wet diesel at each connection, (no bubbles) tighten up each connection , plenty glow plug before trying again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Sounds like glow plug problem...........I have old mini digger that needs to be heated twice before it starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

How old is the starter motor? Always had difficulty with our old 3CX, would only start on a warm day etc, until we changed the starter to a new one. It's like a new machine since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Lossen the connection at each injector, swing engine until wet diesel at each connection, (no bubbles) tighten up each connection , plenty glow plug before trying again.

I would always bleed by loosening the injectors too and bleed one at time if that doesnt work check fuel intake line for cracks or blockage could be drawing air or **** blocking pipe at the bottom of the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That's be the new pope with the white smoke

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Sounds like glow plug problem...........I have old mini digger that needs to be heated twice before it starts.

thanks. it turned out to be the glow plugs - one blown. :o

Advertisement