Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spring 2020..... 1.5m Dairy calves.... discuss.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

I'm curious as to where lads think the suckler finished animal ends up? Too big for consumer plates and packaging, the only outlet is industrial and catering products, isn't it?

And the only beef getting a premium is AAx and HEx from those inferior dairy animals.

So when the JEx gets killed, he's going into the same end product as the apparently superior suckler animal.

This whole superior/inferior prejudice needs a bit of examining, folks.

Good man Buford, you have summed it up beautifully, as usual

Fellas needs to wake up and stop dreaming

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

wrangler wrote: »
    Yea, I was talking to a farmer on sunday that bought 21 calves and when he came to collect them he was told to take 40.
    He slaughters hundreds of cattle and was telling me he's only allowed dribble them in to the factory
    Bollocks - if he slaughters hundreds of cattle then he should have no problem getting them into the local
    factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Base price wrote: »
    Bollocks - if he slaughters hundreds of cattle then he should have no problem getting them into his local factory.

It's not 'no problem' getting a load away since protests.

Doesn't seem to matter how many u killing, everyone waiting for a turn

Muckit wrote: »
    There's no easy answer that's for sure. And perhaps the real solution is hard to swallow.

That's why l thought its be a good topic for discussion in the first place.
    Over the past 20 years JE/JEx/FRx dairy bull calves have been sent to DAFM factories for humane slaughter whilst some carcasses have been sent to supply the Veterinary College and other institutions.

AFAIK cull calves have to go through a DAFM approved facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

mycro2013 wrote: »
    This is an issue for the dairy industry as a whole. From the top to the bottom. The co-ops cant be washing their hands of it and then having the marketing department portray the image of sustainable dairy.

That is it in a nutshell, if you choose to produce a poor calf result poor money or sort by rearing yourself, the cull cow is the same. Met a neighbour yesterday who was complaining about selling a JEx cow in the mart 485kg and got 180 euros and reckons it was a wrong price and he was robbed. Asked what was the story about her, out of the parlour and scanned empty and going dry in milk.
    Anybody things this wasn’t her value is away with the fairies and the same about a poor calf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭alps

Looks like the ICMSA lads were partying it up at the latest think in...

The full details of this new scheme are as follows:
    The scheme will be open to all livestock farmers, but agents and feedlots would be excluded;
    Farmers that apply to the scheme must rear calves from the dairy herd;
    Farmers can only stock their farm at the stocking rate they had in 2019, so as to avoid an increase in beef production;
    Male and female calves with a beef sire and dairy dam are eligible for the scheme. However, the sire must be selected from the ICBF Dairy Beef Index (DBI) or if a stock bull is used, the stock bull must have four or five stars on the terminal index;
    The calves must be less than six weeks-of-age at time of purchase;
    An initial payment of €75 can be drawn down by the farmer once the animal is weighed between six and ten months;
    The second payment of €75 is drawn down after the animal is slaughtered;
    Steers must be slaughtered within 30 months and heifers must be slaughtered within 24 months;
    Suckler farmers that wish to enter the scheme in 2020 should be allowed exit the Beef Data Genomics Programme (BDGP) without any ‘clawback’ of monies;
    Farmers can only avail of the scheme on a maximum of 100 calves per year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Ah, now you are being species specific - "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others" :rolleyes:

An article about free range broiler production in Cavan or Monaghan popped up on my news feed this morning. I didn't have an opportunity to read it as a neighbour arrived looking for the loan of two cow trailer and the laptop had turned off by the time I got back to the house. Unfortunately I cannot find the article now but I think the name of the company was Darina or something similar.

Danpo? ScandiStandard bought Carton brothers Manor Farm poultry operations in 2017 for €94 million, after the two brothers families had no interest in continuing on the business.
    Danpo is one of the companies that ScandiStandard owns.

(This is not in relation to your post but the general discussion in which you were replying to).

I'm not sure about inovation of welfare being consumer led. It's down to the whims of those in industry.
    If there's a €2 chicken on the shelf beside an €18 organic free range chicken. Especially in the British isles you'll know which one is bought first in a heartbeat.
    Any inovation is just the continuing eroding of revenue always borne solely by the primary producer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

There's a good few yards around here that you wouldn't want to mention the blockades around here if you plan to walk out of the yard again.fellas have been put through some awful hardship and still in the thick of it due to bpm and nothing to show for it

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

alps wrote: »

The scheme will be open to all livestock farmers, but agents and feedlots would be excluded;
    Farmers can only stock their farm at the stocking rate they had in 2019, so as to avoid an increase in beef production;
    Male and female calves with a beef sire and dairy dam are eligible for the scheme. However, the sire must be selected from the ICBF Dairy Beef Index (DBI) or if a stock bull is used, the stock bull must have four or five stars on the terminal index;
    An initial payment of €75 can be drawn down by the farmer once the animal is weighed between six and ten months;
    Steers must be slaughtered within 30 months and heifers must be slaughtered within 24 months;
    Suckler farmers that wish to enter the scheme in 2020 should be allowed exit the Beef Data Genomics Programme (BDGP) without any ‘clawback’ of monies;

Sounds like a good scheme to me. Makes far more sense than subsidising suckler cows.
    The main reason lads want to keep suckler cows is they look nice. The creation of the suckler herd is largely down to the introduction of milk quotas. Its has nothing to do with economics and nothing to do with the quality of beef. Beef from a jex steer is better in terms of eating quality than that from a chx steer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ah lads c'mon. Thre is no comparison to the % of choice cuts on a cont type animal compared to a JEX type..... and that's not to even mention feed efficiency.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭jaymla627

The icbf dairy beef index and it been hearld as the gospeal for good beef bulls is the most farcical thing, its weighted towards easy calving bulls not the best bulls for a beef farmer to maybe turn a few euro on a calf to beef system, kya been still on the list says it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ah lads c'mon. Thre is no comparison to the % of choice cuts on a cont type animal compared to a JEX type..... and that's not to even mention feed efficiency.

What are the choice cuts, Patsy? All the premium cuts will be too large for retail so they will be going for extra processing as industrial cuts in prepared meals which is purchased purely on price.

The JEx may be smaller but his premium cuts will be more suitable for retail that the continental animal? And the non premium will be going to where the majority of suckler beef will be going and nobody any the wiser?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

What are the choice cuts, Patsy? All the premium cuts will be too large for retail so they will be going for extra processing as industrial cuts in prepared meals which is purchased purely on price.

The JEx may be smaller but his premium cuts will be more suitable for retail that the continental animal? And the non premium will be going to where the majority of suckler beef will be going and nobody any the wiser?

But is that not just in this country and since the weight limits came into effect

Since the beef quota was removed beef farmers (around here anyway) have reduced their cow number, And due to the last 2 years there is a bigger reduction happening
    Even if more beef calves from the dairy herd could take the space on the ships, there is still allot of calves for the processors to control the market

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Bollocks - if he slaughters hundreds of cattle then he should have no problem getting them into the local
    factory.

Glad you're alright, there is hardship out there no matter who you are.this farmer rears 200 calves and buys over 100 stores. You might as well curse as mention BPM

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭1373

Last February my neighbor was telling me how they got good calves for €80 . Took them to mart this week and got €300 for most . After buying powder ,meal etc makes you wonder

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

1373 wrote: »
    Last February my neighbor was telling me how they got good calves for €80 . Took them to mart this week and got €300 for most . After buying powder ,meal etc makes you wonder

Very little for the man whisking milk. I tried it here this year. Bought HE and AA heifers from a dairy neighbour for €185 in May when they were 6-7 weeks old. Gave them powder-milk for another 3 weeks and they’ve got 0.6kg meal for most of the time since then and the best of new grass. They’ve been vaccinated for blackleg and got 2 worm doses. They’re averaging 200kg now, after gaining around 0.7kg/day since they landed here.

Based on €1.50/kg (maybe even €1.40), they’re now worth what they cost plus the various inputs. Thankfully we don’t have too many fixed costs or this carry on wouldn’t be possible at all.

Plan is to out-winter them on rape and try to finish for this time next year. As Bass said, they’re the only animals who get a breed payment so that should help make them pay their way when everything is added up in 12 months time.

For a part-timer like me, the €75 that ICMSA are talking about would certainly help

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Very little for the man whisking milk. I tried it here this year. Bought HE and AA heifers from a dairy neighbour for €185 in May when they were 6-7 weeks old. Gave them powder-milk for another 3 weeks and they’ve got 0.6kg meal for most of the time since then and the best of new grass. They’ve been vaccinated for blackleg and got 2 worm doses. They’re averaging 200kg now, after gaining around 0.7kg/day since they landed here.

Based on €1.50/kg (maybe even €1.40), they’re now worth what they cost plus the various inputs. Thankfully we don’t have too many fixed costs or this carry on wouldn’t be possible at all.

Plan is to out-winter them on rape and try to finish for this time next year. As Bass said, they’re the only animals who get a breed payment so that should help make them pay their way when everything is added up in 12 months time.

For a part-timer like me, the €75 that ICMSA are talking about would certainly help

If they were on good grass you could more than likely have pulled the ration. It growth rate that the issue. You need cattle like that to be gaining nearly 1kg/day to have a chance. However buying calves and selling as weanling is a loser anyway. Better to carry to a store. Those are good heifers if 200kg. Of you had kept you meal until mid September and fed them 1Kg outside and housed late November/December. Feed silage and 1kg for the winter these calves would be tipping 280kgs at turn out. in mid March. You should be able to finish just before or after Christmas next year at 250DW. On them type of cattle as well as friesians there is only a margin for one man.

If you bought them at 100 euro and killed at a base of 3.9 they be juts tipping 1K after deductions.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Lad that buys calves here would have near all of his sourced by the first week of March off farm. Predominantly fr bulls and he used to do u16 month bulk beef, dunno if he still finishes that way. Excellent operator so would do everything right. I think the fact he buys the earliest calves he can helps a lot as a) they are generally cheaper and b) they make better use of grass. Without fail the dearest calves I've sold have been ones born in April, makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Surprised nobody has questioned the logic in giving the most profitable and environmentally destructive sector another subsidy that will only further undermine the beef industry...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

K.G. wrote: »
    and still in the thick of it due to bpm and nothing to show for it

An extra 8c for under 30mths. A bonus of 8c for in spec overage, up to 36mths.

• Advertisement

An extra 8c for under 30mths. A bonus of 8c for in spec overage, up to 36mths.
    Sorry i forgot that they got the penalties for not being qa and over 30 months increased .im only repeating what fellas arr complaining to me about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Stop listening to negative people it'll do your head no good!

Mooooo wrote: »
    Lad that buys calves here would have near all of his sourced by the first week of March off farm. Predominantly fr bulls and he used to do u16 month bulk beef, dunno if he still finishes that way. Excellent operator so would do everything right. I think the fact he buys the earliest calves he can helps a lot as a) they are generally cheaper and b) they make better use of grass. Without fail the dearest calves I've sold have been ones born in April, makes no sense

It's because of the reduction in quantity of calves coming to market and the shippers still operating. There's a sweet spot in calves for sale usually the very early ones (Jan sold) and the late ones.

Out of the posts posted here Base Prices makes the most sense and at least she she's the big picture of economics, markets, animal welfare, and understands that a life is a life no matter the species.
    Only difference between the egg producers and ourselves is they don't have Darragh McCullough going on about a cock problem and what to do about it. But then Darragh McCullough is not on the hatcheries because they're private companies with no filming allowed and no farmers wondering on social media what they do with their cocks. They just got on with the job and traps shut.
    It's not like years ago where cocks were the banes of the farmyard and dumped here there and yonder and thrown onto the rugby and hurling pitch.

If the milk companies see it as a problem and feel embarrassed let them pay someone to rear the calf (it's not as though they haven't got it. The ceo pays themselves over a million euro ffs) and then they can market that meat. At the moment it's all being pushed onto the farmer who see no problem bar the few voices here with many not involved at all or even resident in the country.

I'd agree that there needs to be something done though. The images of some French or Irish cnut bating calves in a lairage or animal on the streets of Libya with an Irish tag is not going to cut it anymore.
    Even the politicians bawk at that.

Stop listening to negative people it'll do your head no good!

Never do. anyway ive enough to do to mind my business and the blockades didnt impact on me .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's because of the reduction in quantity of calves coming to market and the shippers still operating. There's a sweet spot in calves for sale usually the very early ones (Jan sold) and the late ones.

Out of the posts posted here Base Prices makes the most sense and at least she she's the big picture of economics, markets, animal welfare, and understands that a life is a life no matter the species.
    Only difference between the egg producers and ourselves is they don't have Darragh McCullough going on about a cock problem and what to do about it. But then Darragh McCullough is not on the hatcheries because they're private companies with no filming allowed and no farmers wondering on social media what they do with their cocks. They just got on with the job and traps shut.
    It's not like years ago where cocks were the banes of the farmyard and dumped here there and yonder and thrown onto the rugby and hurling pitch.

If the milk companies see it as a problem and feel embarrassed let them pay someone to rear the calf (it's not as though they haven't got it. The ceo pays themselves over a million euro ffs) and then they can market that meat. At the moment it's all being pushed onto the farmer who see no problem bar the few voices here with many not involved at all or even resident in the country.

I'd agree that there needs to be something done though. The images of some French or Irish cnut bating calves in a lairage or animal on the streets of Libya with an Irish tag is not going to cut it anymore.
    Even the politicians bawk at that.

Lads can blame Darragh McCullough, fellas on here or anyone else. The Cock/Female chicken is an outside issue. It has SFA to do with cattle production. It more than likly will be able to be solved at the eggs stage in 5 years time, it may even be possible now buy using a tech solution. Even in NZ now the booby calf issue is coming under scrutiny. It will not be allowed to come an issue in Ireland by either Irish politicians or at EU level either. Already we see a push against exporting, this is why calves no longer go the land bridge via the UK because the ferries into the UK stopped carrying them.

Just last year we had a Dutch film crew high lighting our slatted housing. What ever happens to calves will have a much higher profile and is harder to hide. When we hit 20K slaughtering next year start to expect notice.

Slava Ukrainii

Lads can blame Darragh McCullough, fellas on here or anyone else. The Cock/Female chicken is an outside issue. It has SFA to do with cattle production. It more than likly will be able to be solved at the eggs stage in 5 years time, it may even be possible now buy using a tech solution. Even in NZ now the booby calf issue is coming under scrutiny. It will not be allowed to come an issue in Ireland by either Irish politicians or at EU level either. Already we see a push against exporting, this is why calves no longer go the land bridge via the UK because the ferries into the UK stopped carrying them.

Just last year we had a Dutch film crew high lighting our slatted housing. What ever happens to calves will have a much higher profile and is harder to hide. When we hit 20K slaughtering next year start to expect notice.
    I think the numbers will begin to fall in the next year or two. I read somewhere (maybe on the Dairy chitchat thread) that the use of JE/Kiwi straws had reduced this year. I know one dairy farmer that used JE on some of his cows last year and he said never again due to bad price he was getting for those bull calves.

Right so we can't export calves or cattle.
    Because it's a welfare issue.

We can't end a calf's life at birth or a few days old or a few weeks old.
    Because it's a welfare issue.

Tell me kind sir what do we do with all these extra calves and cattle on the island of Ireland?
    And who will rear them and who will kill them whenever ( seemingly not a welfare issue) and what encouragement will be given to that person to rear them?

Answer the above but show us where the money to do so is coming from in this crowded market on this island.

I say island as you know NI could be lumped in with us.

I personally believe lads are afraid of an income source drying up or just have that innate gene memory of a potential waste of food from the famine.

But if the economics don't stack up on a thing that thing ceases to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ai man was telling me here that he had used no jersey straws on any local farms 6 weeks into the breeding season this year

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Ai man was telling me here that he had used no jersey straws on any local farms 6 weeks into the breeding season this year

It's not just jersey though. It's lads picking high ebi sires off an ai book. With an ebi system that discriminates against weight and positively gives a higher weighting to a lighter animal.
    Years ago you had your daughter proofs and could pick on rump width. It's how I picked as well as fat, protein and yield.
    Then that was gone and it turned me so I left ai and went looking for bull calves with a bit of shape that were calved themselves with fat, protein and yield in the cow.
    I'm not bragging but there's a difference now between my calves and those who followed the ebi with no thought of rump width.

Edit: it'd be a shocking thing if I was posting sense. I'd say the world would end or something like that!

Advertisement