Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anthem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,788 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I don't think that's an excuse. Games shouldn't be launching with a ball of glitches. And some of us expect a complete package on launch and not this road-map nonsense.
    "Endgame" seems to be a fixation.
    What about impactful beginnings, middles and ends of an actual campaigns?

Apex launched as free with little to no issues.
    Res Evil 2 Remake - No issues

Neither Apex or RE2 are anything like Anthem. And Apex has some serious bugs at the minute, from games crashing to the home screen, sounds cutting out or doubling up and revive glitches and they are only the ones I've personally seen in the two or three hours I've played.

Anthem is a live service game and a looter shooter at it's core and like most of them they require work once launched.

The developers can't get a real feel for it playing themselves because the community usually play a completely different way than they imagined the game would be played and they then need to tweak everything.

The roadmap is to give the community an idea of what's coming in the future. It let's them know there will be months/years of updates to come.

Maybe these types of games aren't for you. That's ok though, that doesn't mean it's a bad game. There will be millions playing this over the next while and I'm sure they will enjoy it because they enjoy these types of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

gimli2112 wrote: »
    If you feel like this you should really just play Apex. I have put down plenty of games that are widely acclaimed as I wanted to do something else more. If it's a chore it's not working for you. This is the reason I end up with so many unfinished games.

You can always come back to it.

I want to enjoy it. I like the idea of the end game loot. Loved gearing in Borderlands, enjoyed farming in Diablo and love hardcore raiding in WoW. The path to end game was always enjoyable in those games, I'll stick it out till I get 30 and see then but most players will drop off after few hours of this game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I have been reading a huge amount about this game in the last few days and something is standing out for me. EA.

It seems that this game is getting bad rap because the parent company is EA. I personally despise EA but I need to give Bioware the benefit of the doubt. They are one of my favourite developers so I think it is grossly unfair to brand this game a complete failure because EA are involved.

This game is just like The Division, Destiny etc. I am sick to death of the comparison between The Division and Anthem. People really do have a short memory for The Division. Its launch was a mess. It had no end game and was very light on content. It took Ubisoft 3 years to get The Division right. Now everywhere I look people say that The Division 2 will be a much better game than Anthem. Anthem deserves some time to tweak and add new content just like other games have done.

No one is forcing anyone to play this game. If you have not played any of the Betas or the Early access then you don't really have any right to be posting in here or bashing a game you know nothing about. You can read all you want, but until you have played the game you should reserve judgement.

I am enjoying my time with it so far and I can see that under the cracks there is the bones is a very good game. It is going to take time to get things right, I think Bioware deserve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

"Absolutely Not" according to this dude... (2 days ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Opinions, everyone's got them. I played the beta but it didn't grab me, it's the kind of game I like but just decided against it. I have no real issue with it other than I have enough on the go at present. I'd be surprised however if I don't pick it up at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

That video is nonsense. 70% of the problems he mentions are non existent on Xbox One X.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ZiabR wrote: »
    I have been reading a huge amount about this game in the last few days and something is standing out for me. EA.

It seems that this game is getting bad rap because the parent company is EA. I personally despise EA but I need to give Bioware the benefit of the doubt. They are one of my favourite developers so I think it is grossly unfair to brand this game a complete failure because EA are involved.

This game is just like The Division, Destiny etc. I am sick to death of the comparison between The Division and Anthem. People really do have a short memory for The Division. Its launch was a mess. It had no end game and was very light on content. It took Ubisoft 3 years to get The Division right. Now everywhere I look people say that The Division 2 will be a much better game than Anthem. Anthem deserves some time to tweak and add new content just like other games have done.

No one is forcing anyone to play this game. If you have not played any of the Betas or the Early access then you don't really have any right to be posting in here or bashing a game you know nothing about. You can read all you want, but until you have played the game you should reserve judgement.

I am enjoying my time with it so far and I can see that under the cracks there is the bones is a very good game. It is going to take time to get things right, I think Bioware deserve that.

i would have classed myself as the same as you with regards to bioware, at least up until this release. But why would you have blind faith in a developer making something so completely removed from what they are good at and known for?

it would be like rockstar making a driving sim game, should we all adore and love it just because its rockstar

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

i would have classed myself as the same as you with regards to bioware, at least up until this release. But why would you have blind faith in a developer making something so completely removed from what they are good at and known for?

it would be like rockstar making a driving sim game, should we all adore and love it just because its rockstar

Horizon Zero Dawn, came from a studio that primarily made FPS games
    and in your own mentions, didn't plenty of people have to eat their words when rockstar released one of the best table tennis games ever?

I dont think anyones saying we should all love it, just cause its bioware, but they at least deserve a fair assessment.

Horizon Zero Dawn, came from a studio that primarily made FPS games
    and in your own mentions, didn't plenty of people have to eat their words when rockstar released one of the best table tennis games ever?

I dont think anyones saying we should all love it, just cause its bioware, but they at least deserve a fair assessment.

HZD came out to overall critical and commercial success, it was a great game, also Guirrilla games made single player story driven games, bar perspective thats what HZD is. Rockstars table tennis came out, again great little game and reviewed as such. No one just assumed they would be great games however, they came out, they where great, sold well because of that.

Ive played the "demo" and open beta for this, never mind the bugginess, but i would agree with most reviews ive seen so far in that it seems to be all about the endgame with little to no fun in between. imo thats a complete waste of what bioware is good at.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

I don't think that's what he is saying, I think he is saying they deserve the benefit of the doubt due to their pedigree rather than just blindly assuming it's a bad game as a lot of people are. It's not a question of anyone saying you must adore Anthem, it's a question of saying here is a game from a developer with an amazing back catalogue, wait and see how it pans out.

Same way if Rockstar were to make a driving simulator as you say, I wouldn't have blind faith but I'd recognise the pedigree of the developer and reserve judgement due to the general quality of their output.

• Advertisement

goon_magee wrote: »
    I don't think that's what he is saying, I think he is saying they deserve the benefit of the doubt due to their pedigree rather than just blindly assuming it's a bad game as a lot of people are. It's not a question of anyone saying you must adore Anthem, it's a question of saying here is a game from a developer with an amazing back catalogue, wait and see how it pans out.

Same way if Rockstar were to make a driving simulator as you say, I wouldn't have blind faith but I'd recognise the pedigree of the developer and reserve judgement due to the general quality of their output.

which is all well and good with a developer that doesnt really put a foot wrong (aka rockstar, CDPR), bioware however (and i say this as a life long fan) have made plenty of missteps in their more recent games, DA2, inquisition (not bad but a bit meh) and Andromeda (didnt hate as much as everyone else but again, meh)

HZD came out to overall critical and commercial success, it was a great game, also Guirrilla games made single player story driven games, bar perspective thats what HZD is. Rockstars table tennis came out, again great little game and reviewed as such. No one just assumed they would be great games however, they came out, they where great, sold well because of that.

Ive played the "demo" and open beta for this, never mind the bugginess, most reviews ive seen so far say its pretty much all about the end game loop, imo thats a complete waste of what bioware is good at.

In that sense to me Rockstar Table Tennis was a waste of what Rockstar are good at...making open world games. A studio diversifying their output doesn't equate to a waste, and doesn't mean they won't continue to put out more of what they are traditionally known for.

In that sense to me Rockstar Table Tennis was a waste of what Rockstar are good at...making open world games. A studio diversifying their output doesn't equate to a waste, and doesn't mean they won't continue to put out more of what they are traditionally known for.

except table tennis was a tiny side project made by rockstar san diego not north who makes gta

except table tennis was a tiny side project made by rockstar san diego not north who makes gta

I'm aware of that, but it was you brought up the Rockstar/Table tennis comparison, which is now a bit moot based on your last point.

I might be wrong,but I think that table tennis was essentially the first run of the game engine that would go on to power the GTA and red deal series. rather than a side project, it was the foundation for everything that came after.

I might be wrong,but I think that table tennis was essentially the first run of the game engine that would go on to power the GTA and red deal series. rather than a side project, it was the foundation for everything that came after.

you are correct, it was to showcase the engine, not pointless but small and released as a side project.

The start of this review sums up my problems with this game

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Was only really made as a tech demo though really for Rstar to learn how to facemap proper faces into GTAIV/RDR/LA Moore

I actually loved that game... :)

Edit : what Stonedeaf said

Fieldog wrote: »
    Was only really made as a tech demo though really for Rstar to learn how to facemap proper faces into GTAIV/RDR/LA Moore

I actually loved that game... :)

Edit : what Stonedeaf said

I loved it also, that's kinda my point. Just cause a studio diversifies doesn't make it a waste or belittle whatever they have done before or intend to do in the future.

I loved it also, that's kinda my point. Just cause a studio diversifies doesn't make it a waste or belittle whatever they have done before or intend to do in the future.

just for reference, i love bioware and would love for anthem to be a return to form, i really do. I just love bioware games for there stories and fantastic characters and this isnt doing it for me. And unfortunately it is making me question what bioware are anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

So this little week of early access may have done a bit of damage to the game going by whats being written here. Be interesting to see if a lot of the bugs get fixed on actual launch on friday.

Personally im glad,i dont like the idea of having to buy the sub for access like this. Thats a money grab imo. Not gonna lie,was tempted to just get it all week, buy i just dont like the model so didnt want to support it.

On the plus side i reckon ive seen enough from posters who usually like similar games to me that im interested in the game. Not sure if day 1 but ill be picking it up at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

EoinHef wrote: »
    So this little week of early access may have done a bit of damage to the game going by whats being written here.

Thats debatable a lot of people havent played it and hate EA, if you can filter out those from the remaining ones who have played it you might get an idea about it.

Fwiw IN game is a slick shooter with decent endgame content, IN Menu is not great.

Also you can be Iron man and it has loading screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Thats debatable a lot of people havent played it and hate EA, if you can filter out those from the remaining ones who have played it you might get an idea about it.

Fwiw IN game is a slick shooter with decent endgame content, IN Menu is not great.

Also you can be Iron man and it has loading screens.

Yeah some people cant get past EA at all,Apex turned out to be good so they seem to be turning there attention to this now.

I do think the bugs people have been getting,assumimg they will be fixed by launch,are not a good thing for first impressions of the game though. Thats why i think early access was not a good idea unless its launch code.

EoinHef wrote: »
    So this little week of early access may have done a bit of damage to the game going by whats being written here. Be interesting to see if a lot of the bugs get fixed on actual launch on friday.

Personally im glad,i dont like the idea of having to buy the sub for access like this. Thats a money grab imo. Not gonna lie,was tempted to just get it all week, buy i just dont like the model so didnt want to support it.

On the plus side i reckon ive seen enough from posters who usually like similar games to me that im interested in the game. Not sure if day 1 but ill be picking it up at some point.

personally, I'm just tired of checking to see if I can play it yet. this staggered release with the mere peasants like myself not getting to see it until a week later is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Calling Table Tennis a side project is a bit reductive to be honest. The RAGE Technology Group, the team that built the engine, are located in the San Diego studio's offices. Having an on-site team build a, shall we say, more basic game with it makes the most sense given the fact it was a new proprietary engine for a new generation of consoles.

On the subject of Bioware though, it should serve as another reminder that a studio is only as good as the people employed within it. Andromeda may be a "Bioware" game but it was built by the team in Montreal who, up until that point, had only been tasked with helping with the DLC for Mass Effect 2 and 3 and aiding development across the rest of the Bioware group of studios. While it was created by a few key members of the existing Edmonton office, the rest were new hires.

Anthem, on the other hand, appears to be made by the core Mass Effect team with elements of the Dragon Age and remnants of the Andromeda teams but expectations should still be tempered based on not only the change in genre but also the service model being employed for the title. Judging by some of the comments from folk both here and elsewhere online, it appears those facets have gotten in the way of the game some people, myself included, were still holding out hope for. This is kind of compounded when you watch Blomkamp's short and see how the world and lore that's been created for the game has been arguably squandered in the process.

It's a bit like how I feel about Destiny really and while I'm happy to shrug and recognise not every game is built for me, it's doesn't change the fact that the outcome is disappointing considering the talent and budget involved.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

you are correct, it was to showcase the engine, not pointless but small and released as a side project.

The start of this review sums up my problems with this game

You should ignore skill up tbh, hes gone form a good guy to a serial whinge bag in the space of a year.
    He raves about whatever game he is getting paid to review, last year he was all over warframe proclaiming it as one of the best games of all time, making videos of himself rubbing shoulders with the devs on evenings out and it their studio etc.We heard nothing from him about warframe since,makes you wonder? thats just one example about him and the way he operates lately.

I could link countless videos to totally counter what these negative videos are saying.

Its simple if you enjoy looter shooters you have easily one of the very best on the market in anthem [once you get past the poor campaign]
    Yes the campaign is annoying as fcuk and merely serves as a tutorial albeit a frustrating one but once you get past that your immersed into ma great looter shooter where suddenly you dont have to deal with all those annoying things about the campaign.
    No more mindless NPC discussion, walking her to go there for another loading screen etc etc.
    Thats all gone as it was intended at endgame and the game ONLY begins at endgame.

Also just to say , a lot of people seem to think your grinding to lvl 30 before you are at endgame simply not true.
    Once you finish the campaign around lvl 21-24 you will start to see masterwork drops and gain access to legendary contracts strongholds, freeplay and world events all rewarding interesting loot.

Bottom line : if like me you enjoy looter games and wish to play them far beyond your typical 20 hours game then this is a great game get your fix with.
    If you enjoy visceral combat chaining combos be it solo of with a 4 man team all while acquiring ever increasing powerful loot that shapes your possible builds with a real sense of progression then Anthem is a great game for you.
    Ignore talk about story,campaign, hell even ignore some of the issues, the game is not officially released yet until Friday where the devs have posted detailed info on fixes coming for release day.

Then take a look at the roadmap for this live service, its an ongoing ever expanding world, no more paid DLC.

I dont care who makes the game, its just great fun once you hit that endgame loop.

Ofcourse im biased towards looter games, monster hunter world, diablo3 path of exile,the division and world of warcraft are my top played games of all time.
    I know what makes a good loot game and this is one of them.

Its a crying shame so many will be put off because of large EA sign at the entrance door and also the annoying campaign with issues that puts people off and cant be arsed to playthough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I was just going to post the same, well with a lot less words. I really liked skill up but he hates everything vehemently now. Can't watch him anymore.
    Plus his videos go on forever

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah sorry, i didnt realise i had said so much until i clocked post :o

Just had 3 masterworks and 8 Epics drop from a legendary contract :P

Anthem-Screenshot-2019-02-20-17-56-30-17.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

a few reviews are up on metacritic, it's better than average but not that great either, few more days for the proper average -70- atm

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/anthem?fbclid=IwAR2mDjpH7D9PzYfgh8_eqLEu4JsV2P4gTmC-qvAlvQVWLCvp7J_K39-MSUo

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Got my 1st Masterwork Avenging Herald.

200% damage whilst hovering :eek:

I am Dirty Harry with wings ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

The day one patch will be going live in the next few hours, will be around 6gb. Also it was announced during the stream that there will be stronghold vanity chests in a future update. Will require keys which are gathered by completing dailies. All members with a key unlock a chest for everyone . 4 chests per stronghold with around 100 items to collect. Will include armor pieces, vinyls and emotes and there will be no duplicates.

More info from stream

- Next content patch, introducing replaying story missions on a highly increased difficulty, and more, with new enemies balanced for level 30 on all six difficulty levels.
    - Very detailed 90 day calendar scheduled to post next week, detailing content drops and quality of life fixes.

Advertisement