Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old Tool Restoration

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Great work!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭imakebiodiesel

As a part time cooper over the years I have slowly built up a collection of coopering tools, some I have made myself, some Ive bought and restored.
    Recently a UK tool dealer offered me a collection of tools that just I couldnt resist.
    The elderly cooper who owned these tools , lived and worked in the city of Bristol and part of his collection had been his fathers who had been a ships carpenters and cooper.
    coopers%20020_zpsoethpsky.jpg
    The tools were in great condition, dirty and worn but no woodworm and most importantly no abuse. Most of the work Ive done has been just cleaning, oiling and scrubbing off the rust .
    The blade of the sun plane was completely seized into the body, I had to grip the blade in the blade and hit the wooden body with a deadblow hammer to get it out. Once out it was just a matter of cleaning and sharpening.
    The Downright ( big spokeshave) hardly need and work other than a good clean. It is stamped Wm Greaves & sons who changed their name to Greaves and Co in 1850 so this tool is over 166 years old and still in great condition.
    I have turned replacement handles for the lovely curved drawknife and the inshave. the cast steel blades are in good condition and now are sharp.
    The spokeshave in the picture was a real find. Its French, made by Peugeot et Freres, Yes they now make bicycles and cars. The white insert on the sole is made of IVORY! I have tested it with a hot pin and it makes no impression whatsoever, bone instantly burns and smokes. My best guess is that the coopers father may have served on a whaling ship and had access to walrus ivory to make a repair to his precious adjustable spokeshave.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Its in the vinegar and salt now, will revert when the gaffer is using it!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

Those items look like ideal candidates for molasses, as per my horsehoe- before and after...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Its in the vinegar and salt now, will revert when the gaffer is using it!
    we have a couple of old irons; i reckon they might have more character with all the corrosion on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭Wossack

Had someone throw a couple of _really_ rusty plane blades in with an ebay purchase - must look into this molasses technique, looks very effective!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If anyone is using vinegar to clean rusty metal, don't throw it all out when finished, for
    vinegar that has been used to clean metal is a very effective wood stain on wood that has a high tannic acid content such as oak and Spanish chestnut, it turns the wood black.

Good one, I love the idea of use and then reuse.
    This recipe has been in use since the middle ages to produce Iron Gall ink. Iron filings were dissolved in a acid and then oak shaving were added . The tannins react with the metal salt and produce a dark black ink that is permanent. If you want to stain other woods than oak and chestnut, add oak shavings to the used vinegar and leave to soak for a couple of day. Then filter out the solids and apply the liquid just as you would an ordinary stain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

probably gone now, but i was cycling between portmarnock and baldoyle yesterday evening, and was what looked like a rusty bailey #4 plane sitting on a wall alongside the road, i guess put there by someone who found it dumped.
    i was in my cycling get-up so didn't have the opportunity to find it a new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Feck's sakes, why am I paying money for these on ebay if we're just leaving them on random walls? :D

• Advertisement

Its funny how things sometime come together at just the right time. A couple of weeks ago I picked up this wooden frame which is a sawyers clamp. Its a very simple device that holds a traditional ( non hardpoint ) saw in position for resharpening. I had given up sharpening my own saws because I just couldn't see well enough.
    sawyer%20001_zpssh7yi6og.jpg
    Then my wife bought a pair of close up glasses in Lidl that were X3 by mistake. I tried them on and hey presto I could see tiny stuff again and the leds mounted in the glasses helped as well.
    Next day I set to with a record 077 saw set and a small triangular file and I resharpened all my old saws.
    I had forgotten just how good these saws are. We have all gotten used to the hardpoint saw that cuts like crazy for a couple of days and then are miserable for a couple of weeks until we throw them in the bin and buy another one.
    Saw sharpening is easy , provided you can see, and if you want to read up on it I would recommend Charles Haywards "tools for Woodwork" as a good place to start.

Heres an item that is often neglected by tool collectors and restorers, oil stones / hones. Over the years I used just about every sharpening system that I know of including hi tech diamond hones , japanese waterstones et al. In the end |I returned to the old fashioned oil stone.
    Good oilstones , especially natural ones can be quite expensive but second hand shops and market stalls often sell them for nearly nothing. If you know what to look for there are real bargains around.
    Restoration is straightforward. Dont buy anything that is cracked and it must have one reasonably undamaged face. Soak it in clean white spirit for a couple of days and then scrub it with wire wool. At this stage you will be able to see the colour and grain of the stone more clearly.
    If the stone is worn in the middle it must be lapped , tape a trip of 120 grit sandpaper to a sheet of glass and rub the face of the stone on it to flatten the face. When finished wash the stone again with white spirit and leave to dry.
    Finally soak the stone with a good quality honing oil, preferably a non toxic vegetable base on and its ready to go.

A medium synthetic stone ( 250 - 500 grit) is best for initial sharpening.
    A fine finishing stone is used next to smooth the bevels to a grey finish. ( synthetic 500 - 1000 natural 800 to 2000grit)
    Finally a polishing stone is used to achieve a mirror finish on the edge. ( 2000 - 10000 grit)

Here are some stones that I have restored recently
    http://s871.photobucket.com/user/imakebiodiesel/library/

From left to right.
    8" Norton "India" medium
    8" Norton "India" fine finishing
    8" Pike Queer Creek fine finishing stone
    6" Dragons Tongue very fine polishing
    8" Dragons Tongue very fine polishing
    8" Hard Arkansas fine finishing, wooden base
    6" Water of Ayr very fine polishing
    8" Tam OShanter fine finishing, in box

Sorry, I screwed up that last picture upload, here is the image I meant to upload, at least I hope it is.
    stones%20011_zpstooezuwz.jpg

Sorry, I screwed up that last picture upload, here is the image I meant to upload, at least I hope it is.
    stones%20011_zpstooezuwz.jpg

Some lovely stones there imakebiodiesel; I've a few old oil stones myself which I picked up for very little money. After some research and experimenting of my own I have a proven way of cleaning old, clogged up oil stones. I put a thick rag in the bottom of a pot (an old pot reserved for jobs like this!) Put the stone on top of the rag, fill with water, add a dishwasher tablet and a spoon or two of washing powder, bring to the boil and simmer for an hour or so. The detergent breaks down the old congealed oil and the water drives out any trapped gunk. After this I sometimes put the stone in the dishwasher and the stone comes out perfectly clean and ready for flattening. I've seen old Norton "Pike" novaculite which were black returned to their normal sandy/ translucent colour. When fully dry the stone will need to be soaked in oil- I use a mix of white spirit, kerosene and light mineral oil (SAE 30).

Hi Jack of all, thanks for that great tip. Over the years several people have asked me if its possible to change a natural oil stone to a waterstone and ive always advised them to stick to oil. I bet it would be possible using your method.
    I do have concerns about using mineral oil. I sharpen tools every day and constantly get oil on my skin. All mineral oils are toxic and many are carcinogenic so I use my own vegetable based honing oil. Its not just veg oil with a solvent to thin it, so it doesnt clog the stones and its much healthier and safer to use. If you send me your address by Pm Ill send you some free of charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Its probably just as bad for you but I use BBQ lighter fluid for honing. I ended up with a load of it I was never going to use after helping clear out some mates sheds and garages. It was to hand when I needed some honing fluid and I found it worked really well so kept using it.

Some barbeque fluids contain methanol which you definitely do not want to handle. Its toxic and is easily absorbed through the skin. In small doses ( which I have experienced) it will give you a sick hangover type headache but stronger doses are much more serious.
    Other barbeque fluids are mostly petroleum distillates which will work as a honing oil but still have the health concerns associated with mineral oils.
    Please let me send you some non toxic stuff to use. just send me your address by PM.
    John

what's the deal with paraffin oil? some versions are used as a laxative, which would hopefully imply it's non-toxic?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Hi Jack of all, thanks for that great tip. Over the years several people have asked me if its possible to change a natural oil stone to a waterstone and ive always advised them to stick to oil. I bet it would be possible using your method.
    I do have concerns about using mineral oil. I sharpen tools every day and constantly get oil on my skin. All mineral oils are toxic and many are carcinogenic so I use my own vegetable based honing oil. Its not just veg oil with a solvent to thin it, so it doesnt clog the stones and its much healthier and safer to use. If you send me your address by Pm Ill send you some free of charge.

I used to use oil, bloody messy stuff. I moved onto Japanese water stones and they are great. I keep them in water while not in use. I've a 500 grit and a 2000grit for the final polish. Using these now for 10 years and they give a razor sharp finish.
    I also have a couple of very effective diamond stones, I use washing up liquid and water or just dry if I'm in a hurry. They are good too if you just want a quick result.

I used to use oil, bloody messy stuff. I moved onto Japanese water stones and they are great. I keep them in water while not in use. I've a 500 grit and a 2000grit for the final polish. Using these now for 10 years and they give a razor sharp finish.
    I also have a couple of very effective diamond stones, I use washing up liquid and water or just dry if I'm in a hurry. They are good too if you just want a quick result.

I'm a hobby user and I don't need to sharpen my tools very often as a result, but I prefer oil stones, hands down. I have 4 or 5 waterstones which I used with great conviction when I first discovered waterstones. Yes, they were great- they cut quickly, leave a mirror polish and would probably be the go-to stone in a high end cabinet maker's shop. BUT the reality is they're damn expensive, wear out (and wear hollow) with alarming ease and probably unnecessary if most of your general woodwork is with softwoods and mild hardwoods! Add to that the palaver with setting up, water everywhere and risk of rust! I've inherited 2 old oilstones that belonged to my great grandfather and after some cleaning and flattenning I'm pretty sure I won't wear them out. Each to their own, but I think oilstones still represent great value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

I'm a hobby user and I don't need to sharpen my tools very often as a result, but I prefer oil stones, hands down. I have 4 or 5 waterstones which I used with great conviction when I first discovered waterstones. Yes, they were great- they cut quickly, leave a mirror polish and would probably be the go-to stone in a high end cabinet maker's shop. BUT the reality is they're damn expensive, wear out (and wear hollow) with alarming ease and probably unnecessary if most of your general woodwork is with softwoods and mild hardwoods! Add to that the palaver with setting up, water everywhere and risk of rust! I've inherited 2 old oilstones that belonged to my great grandfather and after some cleaning and flattenning I'm pretty sure I won't wear them out. Each to their own, but I think oilstones still represent great value for money.
    Well, I don't agree with a word you said. They can be smoothed also, I'll bet with the same palaver your oil stones need!! secondly, rust, lol, you dry them after!! Easy. Slightly oily rag after. Thirdly, not expensive. But anyway, everyone has there own preference.

I see I have opened a can of worms here
    Everyone has their own preferences with regard to sharpening, Ive used japanese waterstones, natural scottish and welsh waterstones, Lots of different oilstones and diamond hones and each system has its merits and its failings.
    I sharpen tools in my business every day sometimes as many as 10 or 12 chisels, plane irons, spokeshave blades, turning and carving tools etc. I need a system that is fast and produces a good result, for me oilstones tick that box but I can quite see the attraction of other methods. Waterstones work very well but are too fragile for my constant use and the finished tools need drying and wiping down with oil afterwards anyway.
    Good diamond hones are excellent but expensive and the cheaper ones dont last very long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I see I have opened a can of worms here
    Everyone has their own preferences with regard to sharpening, Ive used japanese waterstones, natural scottish and welsh waterstones, Lots of different oilstones and diamond hones and each system has its merits and its failings.
    I sharpen tools in my business every day sometimes as many as 10 or 12 chisels, plane irons, spokeshave blades, turning and carving tools etc. I need a system that is fast and produces a good result, for me oilstones tick that box but I can quite see the attraction of other methods. Waterstones work very well but are too fragile for my constant use and the finished tools need drying and wiping down with oil afterwards anyway.
    Good diamond hones are excellent but expensive and the cheaper ones dont last very long.

Actually its the cheaper diamond stones I find the BBQ lighter fluid is good on and makes them last quite well.

what's the deal with paraffin oil? some versions are used as a laxative, which would hopefully imply it's non-toxic?
    Pharma grade paraffin is completely different from kerosene / paraffin heating oil, All traces or aromatic hydrocarbons are removed leaving mainly simple alkanes. Aromatics are toxic and carcinogenic.

my3cents wrote: »
    Actually its the cheaper diamond stones I find the BBQ lighter fluid is good on and makes them last quite well.

I dont doubt that barbeque fluid is a good honing oil but my concern is the health problems associated with skin contact.
    Cheaper diamond stones work fine but would not last long if used 8 or 10 times a day as I use sharpening stones.
    As I said before all these systems have pros and cons you have to choose what works for you.

Finally found a T5 for decent money, and it turns out the guy selling it did a lovely job restoring it as well:

IMG_0174a.jpg

Thats a beauty, Good T5s are hard to find at a reasonable price.
    I notice that you have a Record 078 duplex plane on your bench. My son and I have been using a similar rebate plane a lot this last few weeks and found it much better to use with a wooden handle fitted to the front like the one in the picture.
    http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab280/imakebiodiesel/knob%20001_zps471a5sbz.jpg
    They are easy to make and fit . If you dont have a lathe I could turn the knob part for you.

It's not the 078, it's the 778 with the dual fence posts - damn handy when you forget to check that all of the screws are snugged up properly before you start cutting a rebate :D
    And thanks for the offer imbd, but I prefer to hang onto the front post and tuck my thumb in behind the nose so I can keep the fence snug to the edge.

I think it was My3cents who I promised to send some vegetable based honing oil to. With all the madness that is Christmas I completely forgot until I was leafing through my notebook. I posted it last week and I hope you got it safely.

• Advertisement

I think it was My3cents who I promised to send some vegetable based honing oil to. With all the madness that is Christmas I completely forgot until I was leafing through my notebook. I posted it last week and I hope you got it safely.

I never got mine either, but not to worry, we're all busy! :)

Advertisement