Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ardes Manual Drench Gun

Options
  • 25-11-2019 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

https://magentadirect.ie/product/drencher-non-auto-ardes-150ml/

I was given a loan of one of these and was very impressed with it. I then bought one and find it a pure pain to operate. I use vegetable oil to lubricate the seal on the plunger. It works ok to begin with the largest dose and wind down for lower doses, but comes apart, with the circlip popping off, if you reverse wind back up again to increase the dose. Did I get a dud, anyone else have the same experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Have one years and never came apart.
    Definitely gets stiff to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Thanks Brian, I find it stiff also and have to forcibly pull back the plunger. I have been looking up Silicone lubricant for drench guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I think you need to use silicone oil instead of vegtable oil. I have a similar one here for years and I used vaseline and later veg oil on it. I had to take it apart and clean it always before using. Someone said to me to use the silicone oil.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You can buy silicone spray in Halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

I think you need to use silicone oil instead of vegtable oil. I have a similar one here for years and I used vaseline and later veg oil on it. I had to take it apart and clean it always before using. Someone said to me to use the silicone oil.
    Have one too. Same problem. I leave water in it when not in use and it seems to help stop it drying up

• Advertisement

thanks for replies and where to get silicone oil.

I rinse it out in clean water immediately after use, especially with white drenches. Afterward use washing up liquid and leave it dismantled until next time.

I have an auto one, 60 ml, except for the capacity, never gave a bit of bother, just allow air into drench container when it starts to collapse.

Just saw this toay. Anyone know where you could get this in Ireland?

Prima Tech® Syringe Lubricating Oil
    https://www.qcsupply.com/prima-tech-syringe-lubricating-oil.html

I tried a bit of oil I had here for a hair trimmers (human type :cool:) and it worked a treat in my old doser. I imagine it is silicone oil of some sort.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

I'd say you'd be fine with that food grade one. Strictly speaking it should be food grade, as it might in theory get into the food chain, but cattle lick all sorts of crap anyway. I'd be more worried about it reacting with the seal or o-ring in the syringe. Less likely to do that too, if food grade.

• Advertisement

Thanks Patsy, I ordered it online just now. €15.94 from Ashbourne, Co. Meath.

It wont go to waste, worth trying it out.

Silicone Oil for sale in Lidl from 27 Dec;
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/discover-diy/assorted-oil-sprays/p33613

Industrial grade, I'd imagine.

Well, I got a can today.

Writing on can;

Silicone oil
    Prevents seals becoming brittle
    Keeps rubber flexible
    For lubrication and protection of rubber parts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Well, I got a can today.

Writing on can;

Silicone oil
    Prevents seals becoming brittle
    Keeps rubber flexible
    For lubrication and protection of rubber parts

So have u tried it?

Jb1989 wrote: »
    So have u tried it?

I tried it on an old hand held drencher I have over 20 years and it seems to work alright.

I also got the Lidl Powerfix silicone oil, comparison below: (which doesn't mean a whole to lot to me).

Powerfix Profi Silicone oil contains:
    Hydrocarbons, c7, n-alkanes, isoalkanes, cyclics
    Hydrocarbons, c6, isoalkanes, < 5% n-hexane

Ambersil Food Grade, NSF H1, silicone lubricant contains:
    hydrocarbons c3-4-rich petroleum distillate petroleum gas, (1,3-butadiene < 0.1%)
    Naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated light.

Both Powerfix and Ambersil brands have the exact same hazard warnings.

Advertisement