Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Starting to ration my Monster energy now it may have to last till Friday at least stay safe out there folks this is a bad one and it's only gonna get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

d'Oracle wrote: »
    You are doing the point too much of a service by getting cross about it.

We get snow but not the same as them ie. Poland . Dublin gets way more snow than London and is colder statistically but Paris gets a little more snow than us. The Norwegian site YO has all the stats. Every winter months in Dublin is on Average colder than London. Check out the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭degsie

Ski lessons on Killiney Hill tomorrow morning apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,048 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Chrongen wrote: »
    Well if you're near capel street I'll shout you one :D

SNOWMANCE!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Claire6

This attitude from foreigners is really annoying. It is EIGHT YEARS since we had serious snow in this country. In Poland it is a regular occurance but not here. Do they honestly think we have the resources to deal with an event which might occur once or twice a decade, what are we supposed to do, rent an air craft hanger the size of croke park for salt? People aren't used to driving in snow cos we don't get any. I know someone who lived in Sydney who said Aussie drivers are useless in the rain so its not just here.

Yes! Give us a miserable drizzly day any day and we're all over it. Its just what you're used to, it's totally unreasonable to expect the country to be 100% ready for an unprecedented event. Very ignorant way of looking at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Red warning altered to include Cork and Waterford from now rather than from 4 tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Chrongen wrote: »
    Well if you're near capel street I'll shout you one :D

Impromptu beers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Claire6 wrote: »
    Does it absolutely infuriate anyone else when people say "ah Ireland is so dramatic, Canada/Poland/Austria get this weather all the time"?

Eh yes but that is their climate. Absolutely head wrecking.

Agree. Also just because they're cold doesn't mean they necessarily get big snowfall. I believe Moscow had their biggest 1 day snowfall ever recorded a few weeks back. 8 inches. Could be wrong but wasn't a mammoth total like you'd expect for their.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Cork Snow shield still hanging around with vengeance throughout last night and today - while the rest of the county have been put under 5in of snow us poor folk up in North Cork have got basically nothing yet :( here's hoping tomorrow we will finally see something substantial.

24l65av.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

You guys on the southside have no idea what you're missing.

Blizzard conditions, snow piling up. Visibility a real issue here with the drifting.

We do know what we're missing and it's why we're sad :( there's 10cm on the ground here it's good but northsiders must have twice that..and spectacular blizzards to watch too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Any reports from along the south coast? Looks like there could a fair depth before the storm even starts.

Agree. Also just because they're cold doesn't mean they necessarily get big snowfall. I believe Moscow had their biggest 1 day snowfall ever recorded a few weeks back. 8 inches. Could be wrong but wasn't a mammoth total like you'd expect for their.

Wow, didn't realise that, interesting if that's the case. Would have just assumed that that kind of snowfall would be regular enough for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭lillycakes2

Are we actually expecting a blizzard, like a snow storm? I work in the health service and I have to go to work. I am sick of hearing the while country is going to stop on Thursday from 4pm until fri 12 noon, what about all the people who cant stop and have to make journeys. The Taoiseach is not giving much information for those people only scaring the crap out of them. What can we expect Friday morning? (on a practical level)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭degsie

what, what....don't leave us hanging...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vixi

I've learned so much over the last few days from you all. Your all amazing! Been a long time lurker and I've been gripped by all your updates!
    Snow just seems to be missing us here in north louth at the moment.. so frustrating!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭sudzs

Rte news right now is like a trailer for The Day After Tomorrow !! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

-3.1c now in West Clare, which was the low temperature recorded last night. Cold one ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Still feeling underwhelmed here on the Tipp/Kilkenny border. It's making attempts at falling, but it's just too light. Wind has picked up though. We have less ground coverage than we had first thing this morning, and even that wasn't impressive :(

I missed 2010 because I was in the Middle East, and I wasn't born in 1982. This still is nowhere near the most impressive snow fall I've seen. I had such high expectations too :( And to top it all off I tried to make a snowman this morning, but the snow that has landed is too fine. I did manage to get a loaf of bread though!

degsie wrote: »
    what, what....don't leave us hanging...

Haha there*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The last time I saw snow like this was in Pralognan la vanoise in the French Alps.

MEGA/MEGA snow in Dublin 15....Blanchardstown..,....m.there must be some making it to parts of south Dublin ..has to be...

Nearly 25 cm here....
    Zero. Pretty clear skies in rathmines rn, unbelievable :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

irishfeen wrote: »
    Cork Snow shield still hanging around with vengeance throughout last night and today - while the rest of the county have been put under 5in of snow us poor folk up in North Cork have got basically nothing yet :( here's hoping tomorrow we will finally see something substantial.

24l65av.jpg

Ye get plenty so don't be moaning!

Claire6 wrote: »
    Wow, didn't realise that, interesting if that's the case. Would have just assumed that that kind of snowfall would be regular enough for them.

The wind, coupled with the weight of the snow will down trees easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

The sea is really coming alive. Looks like most in the east could do well in the next few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

Celbridge at the moment ❄️❄️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Nothing in Kilpedder, North Wicklow since 4pm. Only a light dusting on the ground from earlier falls this morning - verrry jealous of other parts at the moment.

Temp currently -2c

Lampost watching while listening to Christmas FM online and hoping for some seasonal cheer later tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭griffzinho

Any reports from along the south coast? Looks like there could a fair depth before the storm even starts.

Huge falls here in Clonakilty with another incoming in next 20 minutes or so!

At least 8cm snow depth in places currently in Southside of Cork

Pet peeve it gets on my goat saying blizzard like tomorrow. It won't be blizzard like, it will be an actual blizzard. Has blizzard like in warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Ye get plenty so don't be moaning!

Not half enough for us country folk :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement