Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - General discussion & technical queries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

humanji wrote: »
    F*ck that. Go watch Twin Peaks!!!

Breaking bad is the greatest show ever. If you have never watched it, give it a chance. Its an absolutely fantastic show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Just tried UnblockUS, and wow! The difference in available content is huge. Easy to set-up too (checked the BBC iPlayer there and worked too). How do I switch between US and Irish content though? Just redo the steps on the UnblockUS guide reversing what I changed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

sillo wrote: »
    I have literally never heard of those guys! Where did you find them johnny?!

Forget where I came across 'em, but they could do a much better job of letting people know they exist :pac: There's Curzon on Demand too for arthouse stuff. Mubi too, but they're better established. But again, hard to know they exist unless you're told about or accidentally stumble across them.

Re Breaking Bad / Twin Peaks. Just watch both. Although I'm still absolutely bamboozled about how BB seasons 3 and 4 have yet to receive any sort of legal release round these parts. And they wonder why people pirate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

humanji wrote: »
    F*ck that. Go watch Twin Peaks!!!
    Very good show too, but I prefer Lynch's movies personally. If you haven't seen Breaking Bad give it a shot.

Hope they get more HBO stuff over the next few weeks (plus the foreign film section is a little lacking), would be great if The Wire was on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Though I've yet to see the second season of Twin Peaks, so thanks for the tip!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

e_e wrote: »
    Though I've yet to see the second season of Twin Peaks, so thanks for the tip!

Stop as soon as you find out who done it.

Maybe watch the last episode too, because it's mental.

But skip the stuff in the middle. It's awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Just tried UnblockUS, and wow! The difference in available content is huge. Easy to set-up too (checked the BBC iPlayer there and worked too). How do I switch between US and Irish content though? Just redo the steps on the UnblockUS guide reversing what I changed?

Yep.... Just change the DNS settings back to what they were and then reset Netflix again and you're all set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Yep.... Just change the DNS settings back to what they were and then reset Netflix again and you're all set.

Just did this. It is incredible! Hope they don't crack on to the unblock me thing anytime soon. How does the US have Father Ted and the UK doesn't! The list of movies is fairly up to date and goes back a long way.

If anything netflix needs a favourites list of stuff i intend to watch in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Just did this. It is incredible! Hope they don't crack on to the unblock me thing anytime soon. How does the US have Father Ted and the UK doesn't! The list of movies is fairly up to date and goes back a long way.

If anything netflix needs a favourites list of stuff i intend to watch in the future.

Aye,I really hope they don't.I'll subscribe to them and pay the money for UnblockUs, not sure if I'd do it for normal Irish selection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Have to say the selection of content isn't as bad as some have made out and I can see that new stuff is being added.

Watched Lost in Translation and The Machinst last, two films I never would have seen only that they are on Netflix.

Definitely second the need for a favourites option, seen a load of stuff I d like to save for later.

If the content improves further, I ll be signing up. Or using one of the methods mentioned here : )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

e_e wrote: »

Hope they get more HBO stuff over the next few weeks (plus the foreign film section is a little lacking), would be great if The Wire was on it.

I've found the foreign film very good tbh. What lets Netflix down somewhat is the UI. It gives the impression that there are only a certain number of titles in every section, whereas if you put in a manual search for a particular title it may well show up, and you would never have stumbled across it without the specific search.

I watched Millenium trilogy over the last couple of nights and have ate least half a dozen Korean films that I've pencilled in to watch on Netflix.

Watched Lost in Translation and The Machinst last, two films I never would have seen only that they are on Netflix.

I agree. I watched Lost in Translation too the other day and I doubt I would ever have taken the time to check it out if it was not for the ease of Netflix. Really enjoyed it too.
    adox wrote: »
    I watched Millenium trilogy over the last couple of nights and have at least half a dozen Korean films that I've pencilled in to watch on Netflix.

What are the Korean movies? I'd like to check some out but I've no idea where to start.

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

e_e wrote:

Not gonna happen unfortunately. Sky have exclusive rights over HBO shows till 2015, and AFAIK now have exclusive first-see rights on AMC and Showtime shows too, meaning shows like Breaking Bad, Hell on Wheels, and Homeland will be on Sky Atlantic before anywhere else.

What are the Korean movies? I'd like to check some out but I've no idea where to start.

A good starting point would be Old Boy and I Saw The Devil. Both two brilliant revenge thrillers. I'm pretty sure they are both on Netflix. Not for the faint hearted though.

I'll have a look later on Netflix and post up what ones I've marked to watch. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I agree. I watched Lost in Translation too the other day and I doubt I would ever have taken the time to check it out if it was not for the ease of Netflix. Really enjoyed it too.

I watched The Man from Nowhere on the US netflix last night. It's very good, about an ex special forces guy who is trying to live a quite life. But ends up taking on an entire mob and organ trafficking gang in order to save a young girl.
    Also noticed they have kim jee-woon's latest flim, I Saw the Devil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

They have the entire 'Vengeance trilogy' up on UK/Irish Netflix. You might have to enter Mr/Lady Vengeance into the search bar. No idea if the other Vengeance movies are any good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Trying to set up unblock us on ps3 but cant access cisco router settings, I never set up a password on it but it doesn't accept "admin" or leaving both entries blank doesn't work either if anyone knows? Thanks

Trying to set up unblock us on ps3 but cant access cisco router settings, I never set up a password on it but it doesn't accept "admin" or leaving both entries blank doesn't work either if anyone knows? Thanks

You don't need to go near the router. Just change the DNS settings on the PS3. I think you go into Network connections and then internet settings but the instructions are on the unblock us site.

It says that is for wired connections, but it works equally well with wireless without touching the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I've setup the US Netflix on my ATV and Irish version on my 360 so have the best of both worlds. More than enough there to keep me going for a while.

I was thinking of getting my father an ATV and logging in with my Netflix A/C - does anyone know if this can be done or if we're both watching something at the same time, will one of us be cut off?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i was wondering about this lads.

i dont know much about netflix, but info on official irish website is very poor.

i went and checked "browse selection" and it was really poor! some stuff on title screen is not in that list at all.

i just wonder is it really worth it and is there any catch with that 1 month trial?

• Advertisement

You don't need to go near the router. Just change the DNS settings on the PS3. I think you go into Network connections and then internet settings but the instructions are on the unblock us site.

It says that is for wired connections, but it works equally well with wireless without touching the router.

Cheers, couldn't be easier, going to watch a few Breaking Bad's now! As the PS3 interface is awful for revealing what they have I look it up on the computer version first.

Edit: Just wondering I have upc 25mb broadband did a speedtest without unblock and its 20 download, did it with unblock on and its 4.6, the quality from ps3 is quite low as a consequence, anyway around this? not looking for HD quality but when you press Select on remote it says "Quality: low SD" picture is blocky.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Edit: Just wondering I have upc 25mb broadband did a speedtest without unblock and its 20 download, did it with unblock on and its 4.6, the quality from ps3 is quite low as a consequence, anyway around this? not looking for HD quality but when you press Select on remote it says "Quality: low SD" picture is blocky.

I highly doubt there's any way around it, if you're using DNS tomfoolery to pretend you're in the US (and thus streaming from US servers) there's no way you'll get an end-to-end connection with the same latency as you would if you were streaming from a server in Ireland.

I'm not entirely sure what all the griping about the lack of content is about, myself - I've just signed up in the UK and so far I've seen plenty of stuff I'm looking forward to watching. If the Irish catalogue is substantially reduced compared to the UK one the complaints would make sense, but I don't know if that's the case.

As johnny_ultimate mentioned, the search could be improved - but in terms of available material I'm not stuck for stuff to watch and at the price there's no alternative that comes close.

It's not going to become my only source of films, but I'm delighted to be able to pay £6 a month and have access to a load of stuff like this rather than have my options be "torrent it" or "find it on DVD and pay possibly stupid prices for it".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Is there anyway to enable Facebook functionality if your using the US workaround on PS3?

Hi just if anyones interested, changed my PS3 internet connection from wireless to wired, now video which was "Low:SD" is "High:HD" looks fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Hogzy wrote: »
    Breaking bad is the greatest show ever. If you have never watched it, give it a chance. Its an absolutely fantastic show.

I've just watched the first three episodes and it's a great series. Bryan Cranston is brilliant.
    I'm not big into US stuff but wanted to start watching after loads of recommendations, so Netflix (US Catalog) is fantastic for 7e a month

Yeah, I know I could download but at this price, I can't be arsed to be honest.

Breaking Bad - excellent so far.

Hi just if anyones interested, changed my PS3 internet connection from wireless to wired, now video which was "Low:SD" is "High:HD" looks fantastic!

Have you monitored your picture quality constantly though? I'm on. 8Mb connection, getting approx 6.5Mb real download speed. I'm streaming though PS3 and have seen absolutely no difference in quality when using the US Netlix site. Isn't the whole point of their DNS just to trick particular sites intiially and then you are most likely streaming from your own ISP anyway?

Also the quality varies on the streams according to speed fluctuations on your line so it go from low sd to xtra high HD in a matter of minutes. I've found that nearly all my streams start at a low quality and within a couple of minutes work their way up to HD status. They can fluctuate down again occasionally, but it's rare, they are usually quiet constant once they reach HD quality.

• How does the Unblock US know to stop working after 7 days, especially on routers because mine has a dynamic ip address, or is it like a mac address authentication thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Are there any legal implications to using a service like UnblockUS?

Are there any legal implications to using a service like UnblockUS?

A year in Guantanamo Bay I heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Its still not as good as private tracker torrent downloading . Its hard to beat "free" .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement