Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

R Kings and other car raffles

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ted1 wrote: »
    GAA clubs are using the same model with houses.

I think a GAA club is non profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

You seem incredibly begrudging of them for some reason. Like really salty

He's thousands into buying tickets with no wins I'd say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

ted1 wrote: »
    GAA clubs are using the same model with houses.

They not licenced draws?

bigpink wrote: »
    They not licenced draws?

Yup could be, is it possible so is R kings?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

tuxy wrote: »
    Yup could be, is it possible so is R kings?

No i mean any Gaa draw ive seen has had something abkut a Garda permit and number

• Advertisement

bigpink wrote: »
    No i mean any Gaa draw ive seen has had something abkut a Garda permit and number

R Kings could be getting a licence from the authorities in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,848 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Because these are not a valid draw along with the VRT for the NI reg cars is there a tax risk? This isn't gambling or a lottery so essentially you are receiving a gift and that is taxable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

I know someone who won a car recently on it.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Because these are not a valid draw along with the VRT for the NI reg cars is there a tax risk? This isn't gambling or a lottery so essentially you are receiving a gift and that is taxable

Yes anything over €16,250 would have tax due at 33%

• Registered Users Posts: 81,014 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Anyone conducting any financial transaction on Facebook is a backward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,351 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It’s legit. My buddy won a 162 320d coupe on it, think he got stung for a few thousand when we went to VRT it though.

It’s legit. My buddy won a 162 320d coupe on it, think he got stung for a few thousand when we went to VRT it though.

Finally someone with so real info on it.

Is it difficult to get the licence to run a raffle like this? And does the licence exempt the winners from paying gift tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I was wondering how the winners are picked, but it's a live facebook video and using google random generator

Still, its possible to create a fake proxy to point to a localhost website for google and run your own "fixed" random generator, which also happens to update your Excel sheet also with your chosen winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Total scam run on facebook. More than likely running an illegal "raffle", who verifies that the draw is even run?

Even if they do give out prizes, its probably a mate who been prearranged to "win" etc. BOGUS.

Total scam run on facebook. More than likely running an illegal "raffle", who verifies that the draw is even run?

Even if they do give out prizes, its probably a mate who been prearranged to "win" etc. BOGUS.

Not necessarily. Without keeping the car they still make a large amount of money.
    And the more real winners the more fools that will enter the next one.

It's the whole legality of the business that I don't get, I just don't understand how they manage to do this illegally. But maybe there is a way, so an answer to how it is done interests me.

Finally someone with so real info on it.

Is it difficult to get the licence to run a raffle like this? And does the licence exempt the winners from paying gift tax?

You’re asking the wrong man. All I know is he paid €25 for a ticket, I went to double check his Facebook there and any hint he won the car has been scrubbed, it was ALL over Facebook a few weeks ago when he won. Mind you I’d probably do the same. I’d say they make you take photos and do promo stuff when you pick it up. He definitely has the car though so it’s legit.

He’s in Tipperary by the way.

You’re asking the wrong man. All I know is he paid €25 for a ticket, I went to double check his Facebook there and any hint he won the car has been scrubbed, it was ALL over Facebook a few weeks ago when he won. Mind you I’d probably do the same. I’d say they make you take photos and do promo stuff when you pick it up. He definitely has the car though so it’s legit.

Yeah if he was to pay the gift tax(33% of value) on top of the VRT it would get very expensive. Makes sense he would delete it.

Yeah if he was to pay the gift tax(33% of value) on top of the VRT it would get very expensive. Makes sense he would delete it.

I got nosey, they've pics of everyone who's won on their official R Kings website, his pic is still there but all "evidence" he's won has been scrubbed from all of his social media.

I got nosey, they've pics of everyone who's won on their official R Kings website, his pic is still there but all "evidence" he's won has been scrubbed from all of his social media.

Maybe he requested it to be removed, I know I would.
    The picture may have been in the terms and conditions. It benefits them if they can show a winner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

A 2016 3 series coupe? Weren't they all 4 series by then?

• Advertisement

A 2016 3 series coupe? Weren't they all 4 series by then?

Ah you’re right, it is. Look the same to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Scubasteve182

I know one of the owners of a similar large competition company in England and they use the same method and all above board, in actual fact another one was on dragons den and got a couple of investors too, so I think personally it must be above board, and in regards to the revenue and taxes, I think they would find it hard to hide anything if all entries are paid for through the bank and cars are paid for with bank transfer like a few have said on here already, To me it seems like there is a bit of jealousy going on here, this is one of the biggest problems with this country in my opinion, in that we can't celebrate others success we would rather attempt to find a flaw and shoot them down. Also I did do a bit of digging and on company house both addresses seem to be legit and I can't find this field being spoke of so not sure if that is just an attempt to tarnish a reputation before checking anything first or if you put a digit wrong on Google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Lofidelity

It looks so simple its strange nobody thought of it before.

The biggest winner in all this is their supplier of replica alloys and tinting film.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

colm_mcm wrote: »
    As far as I know, any raffles which do not have a charitable purpose aren’t legal in Ireland.

There were amendments to the gaming and lotteries act discussed in the Seanad before Christmas but I don’t know if that bit was changed recently.

They’re based in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Shur dont we raffle houses down south? 500 a ticket, whats the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Lofidelity wrote: »
    It looks so simple its strange nobody thought of it before.

The biggest winner in all this is their supplier of replica alloys and tinting film.

Why? They don't do a thing to the cars except buy them?

Shur dont we raffle houses down south? 500 a ticket, whats the difference

Do you mean the licenced house raffles run by organisations like the GAA?
    Or the illegal ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

The country is in the grip of a pandemic and there is lads on here salty over a legit company making a few pound from a very simple idea.

I love ireland , and i love our culture etc , but the begrudgery in our nature is our worst aspect, reading the replies here is jaw dropping , and in some cases quiet sad.

They raffle a good standard of car , they wont buy rubbish and there is genuine winners , nobody is forced to enter.
    If a guy wins a 20k car for 20 quid , good for him , if the guy who raffles it makes a few quid , good for him also.

sc86 wrote: »
    The country is in the grip of a pandemic and there is lads on here salty over a legit company making a few pound from a very simple idea.

I love ireland , and i love our culture etc , but the begrudgery in our nature is our worst aspect, reading the replies here is jaw dropping , and in some cases quiet sad.

They raffle a good standard of car , they wont buy rubbish and there is genuine winners , nobody is forced to enter.
    If a guy wins a 20k car for 20 quid , good for him , if the guy who raffles is makes a few quid , good for him also.

I'm mostly interested in understanding the law.
    How are license obtained for this and how does it differ from licences in the republic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

I'm mostly interested in understanding the law.
    How are license obtained for this and how does it differ from licences in the republic?

Id say your best ring the raffle police and ask them if you so worried.

Advertisement