Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shadowkeep Thoughts

• 09-10-2019 9:10am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So Shadowkeep has been out for a week now, what are peoples thoughts on it?

(Also just to cover the point, if you are discussing the raid please use spoiler tags as a few of us are still doing blind runs)

Personally I thought the Story was short, however I hope they add to it over the course of the season. The season pass is a great addition and the extra bounties with the vendors are brilliant.
    PvP - I played a few games and it seems to be a little bit easier now, maybe thats the amount of new players etc but it just feels better overall and less frustrating.
    Vex Offensive has to be my new favourite game mode, its is jut great craic and decent drops throughout to make playing it worthwhile.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Oh and yesterday I found the Jonny emote :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF1NZHkNTUs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Honestly not that impressed at all. That goes for the vex offensive too.

Major rehash of content from D1 is what shadowkeep mainly comprises of. Already fought most of these bosses 100's of times in D1. Not to mention all the exotics they have taken from D1,they seem to be short on ideas.

Armor 2.0 has one or two good ideas but overall i dont like it. Like i have a helm from armor 1.0 that has light reactor and fusion rifle resrves,if i like to use fusions why would i ever use an armor 2.0 helm instead?

Why do mods have elemental affinity at all? Why do i have to up this affinty to slot mods in? Surely upping the affinty should increse resistance to that damage type but it doesnt seem to. So many messy decisions by bungie. How many times can they f**k things up only to revert the system or totally change it again?
    The game launched with no bounties,now all i seem to be doing is constantly visiting the tower and other places because i cant hold all the bounties i need,if thats bungies idea of makin us have to make hard choices they can feck off:P

Unless something changes with the Vex offensive and we get some new part to it i have to say its probably the weakest season so far for me. Repetitive after a few runs and its supposed to last a whole season.

So overall for me id say shadowkeep is weak and so is the season that launched with it. It feels like to me bungie were under pressure after the split/f2p move and they havent managed to pull it off. Shame,i was looking forward to new content but i cant really see myself sticking around for long with this drop. Hopefully next season is better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah its not great,campaign was boring the new weapons from essence grind are nothing special.
    The setting on the moon is fantastic though and probably my favourite in the game now.
    Nightmare hunts are a bit meh as is the Vex offensive.
    Still love the game though especially pvp which is very odd because i hated pvp previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I only started the campaign last night it was refreshing getting my arse kicked for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I might turn back to the campaign (there just seems to be endless bounties to do these days) now that I'm almost 930 light, it was a bit old getting the snot slapped out of me while levelling up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Yakuza wrote: »
    I might turn back to the campaign (there just seems to be endless bounties to do these days) now that I'm almost 930 light, it was a bit old getting the snot slapped out of me while levelling up.

I felt I hit 950 (960) pretty quickly because of Iron Banner (4 Pinnacle drops) but I was loving going back grinding the levels again and trying out any random gun that dropped. It was fun to be changing from an SMG to a fusion to a shotgun just because it had a slightly higher LL. I think it would be great if they brought in a strike where you had to pick up weapons as you went along.

Im really liking armor 2.0 so much scope for customizing to your hearts content.
    I grinded for the recluse and randys throwing knife recently, randys was a pain especially the medals but its a great weapon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

From the essence the heavy machine gun is really good and a certain roll makes it unreal in PVE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Dcully wrote: »
    Im really liking armor 2.0 so much scope for customizing to your hearts content.
    I grinded for the recluse and randys throwing knife recently, randys was a pain especially the medals but its a great weapon.

Yeah, I've just started the grind for the recluse and randy's too. I'm not sure which is worse. I have a awful feeling they will nerf the recluse about 5 minutes after I get it too.

Which did you find more difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

This season, Recluse should be easier got than last season, with how Glory is working at the mo.
    It's also a demon of a gun, shreds through most things once you proc Master of Arms.
    Pair it with a Warlock using Nezerac's Sin and you'll have your super in no time.

• Advertisement

Is there though?

Well maybe if your willing to grind for the right stat rolls then hope it drops with the elemental affinity you want for weapon mods and then also have the mats to master work it so you can fit the mods.

To me its a step forward in some ways and a step back in others. Just gathering the right gear with the right stats and affinity will take long enough,then you need the mats and mods for the build. And then if the build doesnt work for you? Just start all over again waiting on RNG for stat and affinity rolls.

To convoluted and grindy in its current state for me. The customisation is welcome in some ways but the grind they have attached to it is not.

Simply just removing the elemental affinity on weapon mods would be a good strat to fixing it,leave the damage resist mods with the affinity as at least that makes sense.

Needing a solar piece of armor to use enhanced linear fusion rifle aim when the linear fusion your using could be void makes zero sense other than a system to keep players on the grind treadmill.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Is there though?

Well maybe if your willing to grind for the right stat rolls then hope it drops with the elemental affinity you want for weapon mods and then also have the mats to master work it so you can fit the mods.

To me its a step forward in some ways and a step back in others. Just gathering the right gear with the right stats and affinity will take long enough,then you need the mats and mods for the build. And then if the build doesnt work for you? Just start all over again waiting on RNG for stat and affinity rolls.

To convoluted and grindy in its current state for me. The customisation is welcome in some ways but the grind they have attached to it is not.

Simply just removing the elemental affinity on weapon mods would be a good strat to fixing it,leave the damage resist mods with the affinity as at least that makes sense.

Needing a solar piece of armor to use enhanced linear fusion rifle aim when the linear fusion your using could be void makes zero sense other than a system to keep players on the grind treadmill.

I agree but removing the elemental affinity would make it too easy to complete builds maybe?
    My point is the customize-ability [is that a word?] is there if your willing to put in the effort to perfect a build.

I agree the quest for that perfect build might be a tad steep especially if you then wish to do it allover again for another build.

In a way i like it this way, for example in the division 1 and 2 i had every possible build perfected within a few weeks with nothing left to work towards and i just stopped playing.
    The treadmill phenomenon while never perfect is why we keep coming back to playing these types of games.

I agree but removing the elemental affinity would make it too easy to complete builds maybe?
    My point is the customize-ability [is that a word?] is there if your willing to put in the effort to perfect a build.

I agree the quest for that perfect build might be a tad steep especially if you then wish to do it allover again for another build.

In a way i like it this way, for example in the division 1 and 2 i had every possible build perfected within a few weeks with nothing left to work towards and i just stopped playing.
    The treadmill phenomenon while never perfect is why we keep coming back to playing these types of games.

Not sure limiting mods to an affinity type creates more customisation,it creates less as you have less options.

I dont think removing the weapon mod elemental affinity would make it too easy,the mod will still have an energy cost that limits you regardless of having no affinity. Even without the affinity you have to stay within the confines of whatever energy you can get the piece of armor to and how much energy a mod costs. Adding the need for element affinty is just an unessacery layer imo and removing it should make the system more flexible and less arbitrarily restrictive.

Also mods are armor piece specific ie helmet mod,gauntlet mod etc so theres another restriction. All removing the elemental affinity would do is mean you can put your glove mods on any set of gloves. Cant see how stripping that layer out degrades the process of putting a build together.

These games do run a fine line between too grindy and just right,i do find bungie tend to fall on either side rather than just right but at least they are willing to tweek as time goes on.

Some people will feel stuff is too easy to get,usually the guy who has 30hrs+ a week to farm for stuff and uses youtube for how and where to get the gear,some will say they never have a chance to get builds,usually the guy who has maybe 10hrs to play for a whole week so i dont envy trying to balance for that. I do believe they went a bit to far this time though,time will tell weather bungie will see it that way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I've finished the raid (thanks lads!) and have yet to finish the campaign, I'm just not feeling the desire to do it, maybe it's because Eris Morn is such a wet blanket or something. I've not even done any Vex Offensive yet, too many other bloody quests to try and nudge along.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,005 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yakuza wrote: »
    I've finished the raid (thanks lads!) and have yet to finish the campaign, I'm just not feeling the desire to do it, maybe it's because Eris Morn is such a wet blanket or something. I've not even done any Vex Offensive yet, too many other bloody quests to try and nudge along.

The last mission is a bit of fun, and at 950light you'll breeze though the bits that were a bit grindy on launch.

You should finish off the campaign. As a say, fun last mission (thought a bit anti-climatic imo), interesting last scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Last scene is definitely interesting, think it falls a bit flat as they're stretching the story, rather than have it more or less end when you finish the last mission, hopefully we'll know more in the next few weeks with the new season coming up.

I haven't managed to finish the raid yet, got as far as the final boss. It is a gorgeous raid though.

Advertisement