Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Someone recommended The Nightingale here. Watched it last night. Very good, brutally violent in parts, but very watchable. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Finally getting around to Line of Duty (UK series), was a bit thrown off by the terrible cheesiness and acting of the first episode but it grew on me towards the end. Finished episode 2 and now I'm hooked and can overlook some of the poor directing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Anyone watched the documentary series with Morgan Freeman about God and different religions? it's pretty interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Kilboor wrote: »
    Finally getting around to Line of Duty (UK series), was a bit thrown off by the terrible cheesiness and acting of the first episode but it grew on me towards the end. Finished episode 2 and now I'm hooked and can overlook some of the poor directing.

Garda friend was at me for ages to watch this and it was only because of Covid that I gave it a go. I'm re watching seasons 1 to 4 which says everything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    Garda friend was at me for ages to watch this and it was only because of Covid that I gave it a go. I'm re watching seasons 1 to 4 which says everything really.

Yeah it’s a great series. Every episode is so tense and almost like a mini film.

Some of the acting is shambolic and the plot can be so improbable at times but it’s still so compelling.

I just started it again last week and nearly finished season 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Yeah it’s a great series. Every episode is so tense and almost like a mini film.

Some of the acting is shambolic and the plot can be so improbable at times but it’s still so compelling.

I just started it again last week and nearly finished season 2

I don't think the acting is any worse than most things on television.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Fair enough. But some of it is awful. Would still highly recommend it for a watch to anyone who hasn’t seen it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

I don't know if it's purely the acting so much as terribly written dialogue and scene direction that makes it feel more low budget than it out to at times. A good example is the mugging outside the cafe in episode 1. The waitress running out within 10 seconds and then to within a foot of the detective apprehending a suspect and then handing him a free lunch/his money back. There's a bunch of misdirected things and terrible cheesy dialogue.

I'll reserve my judgement on acting for further episodes. As I said I'm only 2 episodes in but liking the overall atmosphere, story and characters so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Adrian Dunbar (“son”) and Keeley Hawes are great in particular

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭pennydreadful

Watching 'Call My Agent' and loving it. It's French with subtitles, which usually puts me off but it is done so well you don't notice it. Set in Paris and follows four agents who represent French stars - the actors and actresses they represent play themselves which gives it a bit of a W1A feel. Really loving it, three seasons on netflix and a fourth to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Call my agent is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭pennydreadful

Call my agent is fantastic.

So far everyone I know who has watched it absolutely loved it. There is something to captivating about them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭sheroman01

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Fair enough. But some of it is awful. Would still highly recommend it for a watch to anyone who hasn’t seen it

Glad to hear I'm not alone in thinking the acting is very questionable. Just finished episode 3 and still struggling to get into it. A lot of cliches and no likeable characters so far (except the NI cop, I like him). Will give it one more chance and watch a few more episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Watched Gringo over the weekend and found it really good.

Business man travels to Mexico under orders from his boss to complete a deal but all is not as it seems.
    It's a comedy/action movie starring Charlize Theron, Tandie Newton and Amanda Seyfreid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Watched Gringo over the weekend and found it really good.

Business man travels to Mexico under orders from his boss to complete a deal but all is not as it seems.
    It's a comedy/action movie starring Charlize Theron, Tandie Newton and Amanda Seyfreid.

Will definitely watch. Thanks for the recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Only
    A couple must endure a self-imposed quarantine and elude authorities after a mysterious virus proves lethal to the world's female population.

The Peanuts Movie (Snoopy and Charlie Brown: The Peanuts Movie)
    Born loser Charlie Brown tries to impress the Little Red-Haired Girl, as his faithful dog, Snoopy, turns his feud with the Red Baron into a novel.

Hellsing Ultimate Season 1(anime)
    Sworn to protect England from the supernatural, Sir Integra of the Hellsing Organization fights alongside her protector, the immortal vampire Alucard.

An Easy Girl (french)
    A teen girl is drawn to her cousin's hedonistic lifestyle when they spend the summer together in Cannes as she learns about herself and her own values.

RIDE ON TIME season 2 (Japanese male idol groups are my fav male idol groups)
    Take a deep dive into the beautiful world of Japan's top male idol groups from number one producer Johnny's in this revealing docuseries.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RunOnTheLeft

Has anyone watched The Last Dance? Sooo good...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Has anyone watched The Last Dance? Sooo good...

Id be shocked if its not everybody , its excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

+1 for Last Dance. Not a basketball fan, but really enjoyed it! 10/10

Finished Stateless last night. 8.5/10 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭sheroman01

peteeeed wrote: »
    Id be shocked if its not everybody , its excellent

I liked it but...(unpopular opinion here) a 'tad' bit overrated. I thought 10 hours was a bit too much for it. Jordan's constant redemption stories were too much at times - "He did something I didn't like. And that made me MAD. So I went out for payback! [Jordan wins the game for the Bulls]".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yeah, I agree. It was certainly very watchable. But I haven't thought about it since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

watched the nightingale last night, interesting story about the horrible treatment of the indiginous folk in Tazmania...not for the faint-hearted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

donfers wrote: »
    watched the nightingale last night, interesting story about the horrible treatment of the indiginous folk in Tazmania...not for the faint-hearted

Watched that a couple of weeks ago. Not easy to watch. Read some people walked out of premiere in cinema over some scenes too.

Overall, I thought it was a bit disappointing and could have been better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Rewatching Brooklyn nine nine for the umpteenth time. God it is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

sheroman01 wrote: »
    I liked it but...(unpopular opinion here) a 'tad' bit overrated. I thought 10 hours was a bit too much for it. Jordan's constant redemption stories were too much at times - "He did something I didn't like. And that made me MAD. So I went out for payback! [Jordan wins the game for the Bulls]".

I loved the show, but I hear where you're coming from with the getting vengeance plot that was running through it. It was like - "how dare anyone say or look at Michael Jordan in an offending manner". He obviously thought this was a good thing and fed his Godlike ego. But for me it came across as a bit pathetic. And demonstrates a shallow individual with a short fuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kattunge

Watched Gunjan Saxena: The Kargil Girl movie last night. It's about the life of the first Indian female pilot in combat. Subtitled and slow moving but I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Is Netflix still send low quality video and sound or has it reverted to normal, anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Devil All the Time starts streaming on Netflix September 16

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I don't know if it's purely the acting so much as terribly written dialogue and scene direction that makes it feel more low budget than it out to at times. A good example is the mugging outside the cafe in episode 1. The waitress running out within 10 seconds and then to within a foot of the detective apprehending a suspect and then handing him a free lunch/his money back. There's a bunch of misdirected things and terrible cheesy dialogue.

I'll reserve my judgement on acting for further episodes. As I said I'm only 2 episodes in but liking the overall atmosphere, story and characters so far!

2 things about Line of Duty jar for me and make it a bit like a Fantasy series:

1. Its set in a fictional city in England

2. They seem to have just one OCG (organised crime group) who do all the dirty business in the city.

These make it all a bit surreal, but its still a great watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The Devil All the Time starts streaming on Netflix September 16

This looks good.

Advertisement