Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I can’t find the link but somewhere yesterday saying Conferate was an awful premise and binned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Greyfox

david75 wrote: »
    I can’t find the link but somewhere yesterday saying Conferate was an awful premise and binned.
    It's more just nobody's working on it at the moment so it could be binned, it's riddiculous the amount of people criticising it before a script is written, it may of even of turned out to be good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've converted this thread (formerly "New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones producers") into a general thread for discussing future and potential SW films. Lets keep all Episode IX, Kenobi, Rian trilogy, GOT producer films discussion here until there's something substantial to talk about deserving of its own thread. Like a trailer. Also, please take any TLJ discussion to the TLJ thread, thanks.

Star Wars: Obi-Wan Spinoff Rumored to Film Next Year in Ireland

https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-obi-wan-movie-2019-ireland/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Star Wars: Obi-Wan Spinoff Rumored to Film Next Year in Ireland

https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-obi-wan-movie-2019-ireland/

Absurd rumour.

• Advertisement

Absurd rumour.

Lucasfilm was in Belfast a few months ago (why would he be there?)
    Kenobi film or series is in development. Script is said to be finished.
    They’re announcing the first series soon.
    It’s not absurd at all.

George Lucas personally scouting locations for a film company he has no involvement in anymore? Sorry but that's absurd.

Even if Lucas was personally writing and directing the film, he's not a location scout. It's far more likely that he was just there being given a tour of the GOT set or something, if he was there at all. The fact that the original article doesn't even acknowledge that Lucas sold LFL to Disney and thus wouldn't be scouting locations on its behalf makes it even more suspect. Stuff like this is so easy to make up.

I'm sure a Kenobi film is in development but that doesn't mean every rumour we hear about it is true.

George Lucas personally scouting locations for a film company he has no involvement in anymore? Sorry but that's absurd.

Even if Lucas was personally writing and directing the film, he's not a location scout. It's far more likely that he was just there being given a tour of the GOT set or something, if he was there at all. The fact that the original article doesn't even acknowledge that Lucas sold LFL to Disney and thus wouldn't be scouting locations on its behalf makes it even more suspect. Stuff like this is so easy to make up.

I'm sure a Kenobi film is in development but that doesn't mean every rumour we hear about it is true.

It’s mentioned in the first paragraph of the piece.
    ‘...’ gnited speculation about why he was in Belfast. Lucas sold Lucasfilm to Disney in 2012, and is no longer officially involved with the Star Wars franchise he created.’

Ehhh yeah. He was there. He even got in a picture with the staff. Also in the article on RTE if you read it.
    Star Wars legend dines out in Northern Ireland
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/920886/

000ef7bd-642.jpg

No, the original article, and the source of the rumour, in the Belfast Telegraph makes no mention of Lucas not being involved in LFL. It just makes the massive leap that "Lucas in Belfast = location scouting for new SW movie". And throws in some questionable quotes from people who were just speculating. The quote you posted was from the lazy re-write of that article.

The picture above proves he really was in Belfast. Doesn't mean he was there scouting locations for the Obi-wan Kenobi movie. Which would be absurd.

It’s almost Unthinkable the two lads who were just announced to make new a Star Wars series also wrote and produced one of the most successful tv series ever, would choose to go back and use the same crew and facilities for their new venture.

What world does that happen in

• Advertisement

It’s almost Unthinkable the two lads who were just announced to make new a Star Wars series also wrote and produced one of the most successful tv series ever, would choose to go back and use the same crew and facilities for their new venture.

What world does that happen in

So you are saying the GOT producers hired George Lucas as a location scout and sent him to the same studios in Belfast that they've spent the last 7 years shooting in? That makes no sense.

So you are saying the GOT producers hired George Lucas as a location scout and sent him to the same studios in Belfast that they've spent the last 7 years shooting in? That makes no sense.

No you’re saying that actually. He visited Belfast. I’d bet it isn’t for Kenobi. It’s for his SW Underworld series he had written and finished and it was going to be too expensive to make. Now he’s back in Star Wars producing it for Disney’s new streaming service and the two GOT lads running the show and he was up there doing a reccie on the facilities. Watch.

That video is 7 years old! George Lucas is not involved with SW anymore. And the GOT producers are not making a tv series, they are making movies. Iger was very clear about this.

That video is 7 years old! George Lucas is not involved with SW anymore. And the GOT producers are not making a tv series, they are making movies. Iger was very clear about this.

Are you sure? You said he wasn’t in Belfast a minute ago despite pictures and our national broadcaster covering it. He’s not involved with Star Wars anymore? Wow. He’s been on set for TFA Rogue one and Solo? And ‘always in my ear’ according to Kennedy. Snark aside
    I’ll catch you up
    Kennedy said the Underworld scripts are still on the table.
    Iger actually said the GOT lads were making ‘a series of films.’

Actually no, you’re right. Nothings happening. I’m not sure. you’re right. You could try googling this stuff though.

Yay. Art fella who worked on pretentious w*ankfest now hired for episode 9

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/963503568522166272

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Yay. Art fella who worked on pretentious w*ankfest now hired for episode 9

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/963503568522166272

Best piece of news for Episode IX so far.

Falthyron wrote: »

You have to work really hard hard to make Ryan Gosling utterly pointless and ineffective. That film managed that. I hated it. It was slightly better than the original though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

You have to work really hard hard to make Ryan Gosling utterly pointless and ineffective. That film managed that. I hated it. It was slightly better than the original though.

I'm shocked. The latest Blade Runner is a wonderful spectacle. It oozes confidence and quality both in its visuals and the ease at which the narrative unravels. Its great sci-fi, David. Try to look at it as a documentary made to reflect what life will be like fifty years from now. Gritty, unforgiving, and yet full of possibility.

If the art director from 2049 will be working on Episode IX, we should have a sumptuous looking and feeling of authenticity.

I'm shocked. The latest Blade Runner is a wonderful spectacle. It oozes confidence and quality both in its visuals and the ease at which the narrative unravels. Its great sci-fi, David. Try to look at it as a documentary made to reflect what life will be like fifty years from now. Gritty, unforgiving, and yet full of possibility.

If the art director from 2049 will be working on Episode IX, we should have a sumptuous looking and feeling of authenticity.

I fancy the hole of gosling and even he couldn’t make it work for me. It did look very good but it’s completely trading on that. All style no substance. No big deal. It’s just one of those film leaves you cold. It might reveal itself one day. I’m always game.
    Didn’t we have a thread about that recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Yep, pity they don't go for the likes of Villeneuve too instead of Yes Men hacks like Johnson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Lucasfilm was in Belfast a few months ago (why would he be there?)
    Kenobi film or series is in development. Script is said to be finished.
    They’re announcing the first series soon.
    It’s not absurd at all.

Sorry David but you are an absolute blinkered fanboy.

That article and rumour is completely absurd. I've not doubt Lucas was in NI but it was nothing to do with star wars.

Use a but of cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

Hilarious. I absolutely loved Blade Runner 2049. :)

Though I still think the original is better.

It just funny how our opinions are in opposition there. :pac:

Sorry David but you are an absolute blinkered fanboy.

That article and rumour is completely absurd. I've not doubt Lucas was in NI but it was nothing to do with star wars.

Use a but of cop on.

Charming.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Calling Blade Runner 2049 a pretentious wankfest jaysus all the while praising the hell out of the new Star Wars seems so wrong to me and I love Star Wars.

It's kind of miserable that all of the more official sounding rumors are around TV shows and new trilogies of spin-off films based on already existing characters like Obi-Wan etc.

I'd like them to ask Lucas to do a standalone movie set 1,000 years before A New Hope just to see what he would come up with.

Just a 2 hour "one shot". No characters from the other movies. No storyline ties to other movies. Keep the force and space travel and lightsabers. Just a straight up "here's a couple of Sith and they've got an evil plan and here's a couple of Jedi and they're going to stop them".

Follow the lead of films like The Raid or John Wick or even Fury Road. Except the backdrop is crazy alien planets with weird creatures. Just give us something good.

Calling Blade Runner 2049 a pretentious wankfest jaysus all the while parsing the hell out of the new Star Wars seems so wrong to me and I love Star Wars.

I'd argue that Blade Runner 2049 did everything that the new Star Wars should have done.

Deckard and Rachel were special individuals in the world of the first movie so it makes sense they would still have some influence on the world of 2049. Fine.

I thought they way they handled Deckard felt more "real" than the handling of Luke, Han or Leia in the sequels.

It's just a new story set in the same universe. Same look and feel but lots of new little angles and nuances. A little bit of extra exploration into replicants but not TOO much.

Anyone creating new Star Wars content going forward could look to it as an example of how to do things right, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,821 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Saruhashi wrote: »
    It's kind of miserable that all of the more official sounding rumors are around TV shows and new trilogies of spin-off films based on already existing characters like Obi-Wan etc.

I'd like them to ask Lucas to do a standalone movie set 1,000 years before A New Hope just to see what he would come up with.

Just a 2 hour "one shot". No characters from the other movies. No storyline ties to other movies. Keep the force and space travel and lightsabers. Just a straight up "here's a couple of Sith and they've got an evil plan and here's a couple of Jedi and they're going to stop them".

Follow the lead of films like The Raid or John Wick or even Fury Road. Except the backdrop is crazy alien planets with weird creatures. Just give us something good.

You're asking this of the man who destroyed his original classic films, made the prequel trilogy, and killed Star Wars for 10 years.

George Lucas lost whatever mojo he once had. Handing Star Wars back to him is not the answer.

Maybe, if he can be paired with someone that can temper his steel, like a Gary Kurtz, it might be worth a shot. He's a man that has fantastic ideas, no doubt. But, let's not forget, even when coupled with Spielberg, we ended up with 'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull'.

I'm sorry to say. But, George Lucas is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,821 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Saruhashi wrote: »
    I'd argue that Blade Runner 2049 did everything that the new Star Wars should have done.

Deckard and Rachel were special individuals in the world of the first movie so it makes sense they would still have some influence on the world of 2049. Fine.

I thought they way they handled Deckard felt more "real" than the handling of Luke, Han or Leia in the sequels.

It's just a new story set in the same universe. Same look and feel but lots of new little angles and nuances. A little bit of extra exploration into replicants but not TOO much.

Anyone creating new Star Wars content going forward could look to it as an example of how to do things right, in my opinion.

Agreed.

The 'Blade Runner' sequel was one of the finest films of the year as far as I'm concerned and its handling of Deckard was fantastic and respected the views of the fans of the original expertly. As a guy who always saw Deckard as a man, not a replicant (because 'Blade Runner doesn't work for me otherwise), I came away delighted that that view wasn't scuppered. However, if one sees him as a Replicant, then 'Blade Runner 2019' won't shit on that either.

The Star Wars sequel trilogy, on the other hand, craps all over the legacy of the OT characters in every way possible, reducing them to failures and a potential child murdering coward in Luke's case. Only Chewie gets away relatively unscathed...and unhugged... :(

'Blade Runner 2019' takes its place as one of the greatest sequels ever made and that's a club with a very limited membership.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Agreed.

The 'Blade Runner' sequel was one of the finest films of the year as far as I'm concerned and its handling of Deckard was fantastic and respected the views of the fans of the original expertly. As a guy who always saw Deckard as a man, not a replicant (because 'Blade Runner doesn't work for me otherwise), I came away delighted that that view wasn't scuppered. However, if one sees him as a Replicant, then 'Blade Runner 2019' won't shit on that either.

The Star Wars sequel trilogy, on the other hand, craps all over the legacy of the OT characters in every way possible, reducing them to failures and a potential child murdering coward in Luke's case. Only Chewie gets away relatively unscathed...and unhugged... :(

'Blade Runner 2019' takes its place as one of the greatest sequels ever made and that's a club with a very limited membership.

They’re both just so lifeless and sullen and completely sealed off from an entry into it. Just never spoke to me at all. Completely joyless also. There’s nothing in either to enjoy apart from they occasionally look good. That’s really all. Sequel doesn’t have to worry about characters given they’re all so wooden and one note in the first one so hey let’s just do that again.
    My loss for not being able to enjoy them. Did try though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

For what it's worth I thought 2049 was not just one of the best films of 2017, I thought it was better than the original as well. As Tony said I also feel it did the original characters a far better service than TLJ did to it's icons.

It needed to be leaner for a broader audience though, realistically... surprised it was even made in that style on that collosal budget.

Advertisement