Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Tower Bar - Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭thegame983

Cormac... wrote: »
    Is that the American version of The Thick of It? I've heard of that alright

That would be correct. Both were made by the same guy (who sadly I think left after the most recent season)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NeverMidnight

jonny24ie wrote: »
    No pokemon??????

If they don't watch pokemon, then they are nothing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 44,969 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Haven't seen any of these DC/Marvel shows. Did see a trailer type thing for Supergirl, was NOT bowled over.

Only show's I watch would be Homeland / Breaking Bad / Suits (only up to S3 then lost interest). Gonna start on The Wire and House of Cards.

Other regular shows would be things like Peppa Pig / Ben and Hollys Little Kingdom / Paw Patrol / Blaze and the Monster Machines.........

Haven't been blown over by Super GIrl myself. its not bad, but it isn't one I can't wait to see (like Flash, or Arrow to a lesser extent). Its one I would stick on when I'm bored and can't stomach another re-run on E4.

I'm not happy with the casting of jimmy olsen. Now, call me old fashioned, but I believe Jimmy to have a particular look and this guy isn't it - Jimmy Olsen should not a freaking athletic, 6 and a half foot central love interest!

The other guy in it, is closer tothe Jimmy Olsen character, imo.

I am glad they dropped the 'your cousin' 'my cousin', 'our friend in metropolis' crap from the Pilot. they must have got permission to actually say Clark/SuperMan after the pilot was created.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,969 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The Goldbergs is actually another comedy I like. Started on season 3 yesterday - an enjoyable show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

jonny24ie wrote: »
    No pokemon??????
    If they don't watch pokemon, then they are nothing :p

No Pokemon. Could never get into myself, and have never understood the fascination with the games (The whole thing of Blue/Red/Ruby/Saphire/Black/Gold)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

No Pokemon. Could never get into myself, and have never understood the fascination with the games (The whole thing of Blue/Red/Ruby/Saphire/Black/Gold)

You have missed out haha
    I played the blue version when I was in hospital years ago and it got to be a pain in the hula hoop.

Silicon Valley is another great show :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

I'd love to know where yiz all get the time to watch these shows, work (college etc) and play Destiny to the degree that you all do.

My sister keeps harping on at me to watch the 4th season of Homeland but I just can never find the time to watch. Got up to the 2nd season (I think) then I lost interest.

How do yiz get it all done?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

PlainP wrote: »
    I'd love to know where yiz all get the time to watch these shows, work (college etc) and play Destiny to the degree that you all do.

My sister keeps harping on at me to watch the 4th season of Homeland but I just can never find the time to watch. Got up to the 2nd season (I think) then I lost interest.

Get used to playing PvP with the TV either muted (this is actually strangely cathartic) or with the music turned off (this is 100% how i play always, PvE and PvP) and with the volume down real low.... then put shows that aren't too involving (like Masterchef) on in the background.

I generally watch stuff once I get too drunk to play Destiny.... usually it's a fairly obvious slide all the way down to a 0.15KDR game

Also I can't stand shows that are too realistic.... I need my stuff to have Zombies, or Vikings or Dragons or Super Villains.

I watch TV and play games to escape this mundane life

4 to 5 hours sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

4 to 5 hours sleep.

4-5????? But excessive there, that's good watchin time wasted ;)

• Advertisement

Can't multi quote as I'm on my phone but yes I also game to escape. It's exactly the same as reading a good book but with nicer pictures...

And only having 4 - 5 hrs sleep catches up with your body eventually. I can't function very well on not much sleep.

Can't multi quote as I'm on my phone but yes I also game to escape. It's exactly the same as reading a good book but with nicer pictures...

And only having 4 - 5 hrs sleep catches up with your body eventually. I can't function very well on not much sleep.

When you have kids, you get conditioned to fcuk all sleep.

Which reminds me anyone who hasn't watched Spartacus (the series) is doing themselves a disservice.
    It's like if Game of Thrones wasn't so self indulgent and was turned up to 11.
    It's got the whole lot. Just whatever you do. DON'T watch the 6 Episode "Prequel" 1st.... it totally ruins season 1
    There's only about 36 episodes between the whole of the 3 seasons and prequel and it does not dissapoint.
    It's criminally underrated... and not in a "Oh this is a cult classic like Rushmore" or something like that.
    It's just straight up better than Game of Thrones.... and that's coming from someone that reads exclusively Fantasy Fiction stuff (incl GoT)
    Just don't watch it if there's kids in the room cause there's lots of violence (think the 300) and scenes of an Adult Nature

Have 2 (11 & 12) so well past the waking up at night phase.

Don't envy you...

latest?cb=20121218010817

Which reminds me anyone who hasn't watched Spartacus (the series) is doing themselves a disservice.
    It's got the whole lot. Just whatever you do. DON'T watch the 6 Episode "Prequel" 1st.... it totally ruins season 1
    There's only about 36 episodes between the whole of the 3 seasons and prequel and it does not dissapoint.
    It's criminally underrated... and not in a "Oh this is a cult classic like Rushmore" or something like that.
    It's just straight up better than Game of Thrones.... and that's coming from someone that reads exclusively Fantasy Fiction stuff (incl GoT)
    Just don't watch it if there's kids in the room cause there's lots of violence (think the 300) and scenes of an Adult Nature

Watched the 1st season, couldn't really get into the 2nd, I'd could say that I would try and watch the 2nd but where would I get the time lol.

• Anyone checking out The Expanse?
    New sci-fi, from SyFy. Much better than the ****e I've seen them put out over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Mcsirl

I do shift work so when I'm on nights and it's quiet I generally have about 20 tv shows on the go. I watch the usual stuff like Gotham , arrow, flash, elementary and the likes but some of the better stuff I'm my opinion would be ....

Hawaii 5-0
    Scorpion
    the League ( funniest show I've watched)
    The Blacklist
    Limitless

If anyone is stuck for something to watch I'd highly recommend The League and Limitless.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭onlyTobes

I've been watching The Man In The High Castle from Amazon, basically the Nazis win WW2, go across the pond and conquer the US along with Japan, and carve it up between them. About half way thru the season, pretty decent show

• It's going to take about an hour to download this update for the PS4, so off to the world of Pocket Morty's I go.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

onlyTobes wrote: »
    I've been watching The Man In The High Castle from Amazon, basically the Nazis win WW2, go across the pond and conquer the US along with Japan, and carve it up between them. About half way thru the season, pretty decent show

It's based on a Philip K Dick book, which is surprising. i wonder is it a case of them just taking the most basic premise and running with it. That's usually what happens with his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭onlyTobes

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's based on a Philip K Dick book, which is surprising. i wonder is it a case of them just taking the most basic premise and running with it. That's usually what happens with his stuff.

Well, it's certainly no Blade Runner or Minority Report. But there's something deeply disturbing about watching yanks in SS uniforms with ****-eating grins, shouting sieg heil at each other :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Spartacus is the bomb! One of my favourite tv shows ever - such a shame about Andy! :(

Agreed, watch season 1 and then the prequel before going on to seasons 2-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Spartacus is good but to say its better than Game of Thrones is hilarious. It barely has a storyline

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Cossax wrote: »
    Spartacus is the bomb! One of my favourite tv shows ever - such a shame about Andy! :(

Agreed, watch season 1 and then the prequel before going on to seasons 2-3.

Spartacus is a great watch, not much of a story there but that's exactly what you need sometimes. Switch the brain partially off and enjoy all the action!

Was a shame alright about Andy and was a bit amprehensive about the new guy Liam managed to pull it off. That's a show I gotta go back and watch.

At the moment, I'm only watching Hell on Wheels myself and rewatching Sherlock with the missus. Looking forward to February when lots of shows start back!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

AdamD wrote: »
    Spartacus is good but to say its better than Game of Thrones is hilarious. It barely has a storyline

To quote Batiatus - "remove cock from fcuking arse" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭thegame983

Have to admit the end of Spartacus (end of the credit sequence) did draw a tear.

You can't slag off the story too much. It does try to be (somewhat) historically accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

AdamD wrote: »

GoT kills off a character every now and then to keep it interesting.

It's total crud.

I don't get the interest in Walking Dead. I fooking love zombie movies, WD seems to be Home and fcuking Away with Zombies and sh1t acting.

It has the best worst drunk acting scenes in season one when they're in the underground bunker. They're terrible drunks!

That actually turned me right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

Must watch shows from last year?

Fargo and Hannibal. I watch a lot of tv shows, and these 2 are quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Must watch shows from last year?

Fargo and Hannibal. I watch a lot of tv shows, and these 2 are quality.

Ash vs Evil Dead

Advertisement