Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Ah good man yourself that the one i was all over imdb trying to find this film. now i just have to hope its still good all these years later

It's still good, not as good as the TZ7 will be though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Alright, my turn.

I don't remember much at all, except it's an 80s movie, about a young guy that is very shy and a loser basically and then I remember a snake or something growing out of his head and it gives him super powers or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Really hard one for you guys-
    80's/early 90's film, set in california. stars 2 friends in early 20's trying to make it. Has an 'Almost famous' feel. I think the female star was an aspiring photographer who worked as a waitress. the guy is an aspiring writer. No hopes of getting itt solved but this has bugged me a looong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Hey my fianceé is trying to remember a movie she saw a few years ago, all she can remember is there was a guy masturbating with a knife. As in using the knife to get off, any ideas or is she just crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Looking for any info on a 70's film (I think).
    Russian (I think), some people overdubbed and some people speaking English.
    Giant hero named Ilya Moromentz (I think), who saves the country.
    Outlandish claims on the cover of the movie like "largest epic ever made! 10,000 men! 15,000 horses" and so forth.

• Advertisement

Rustar wrote: »
    Looking for any info on a 70's film (I think).
    Russian (I think), some people overdubbed and some people speaking English.
    Giant hero named Ilya Moromentz (I think), who saves the country.
    Outlandish claims on the cover of the movie like "largest epic ever made! 10,000 men! 15,000 horses" and so forth.

?

EDIT: Missed the 70's bit .. doh! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Found it, after much searching.
    "The Sword and the Dragon", Russian, 1956(!!!!!).

"Cast of 106,000 - 11,000 horses! - Largest cast ever used in any motion picture!"

Special effects were waaay ahead of the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭natsuko

Couldnt find another thread dealing with short films, im stabbing in the dark here but i said id give it a go.

OK, its a short film about a homeless alcoholic guy that wakes up in hospital at some stage in the film attached to another more frail man.

I think I saw it on Rte but im not sure... been looking for it all over.

I think it might have been called something like "the body" "parasite" but they are just guesses.

It would be great if someone knew the source, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

thought id bring this back as noone found it the first time. anyone have any ideas.

ok im on my dinosaur in work so i cant see what clips people posted (wont do flash) to help you so forgive me if im repeating what others have said.

but this sounds an awfull lot like one of my favourite films.

"my science project"

basically a guy finds an alien engine in a military junk yard and tinkers with it to pass off as his science project. (he's a petrol head in danger of flunking)

waala the thing starts warping time and space when hooked up to the mains (which a nerd does and promptly bails leaving the main blokes love interst in danger ) and the blokes have to work theyre way through the school to get to the science lab to disconnect it.

on the way they face lads from the korean war, gladiators, mutants from the future and the bit that'll interest you...

.....a tyranosaurs rex in the PE hall.

the three lads are basicaly cowards, and crouch behind *something" before one of em does indeed empty a clip into it before pumping a grenade from the M60 into it.

its really a fun little B movie and it came out circa 84 or 85.

about the only guy you'll recognaise is fisher stevens who was the indian bloke in short circuit (and the baddie in hackers ), oh and dennis hopper as his hippie science teacher.

again its just a wild streatch but that scene is very close to the dino scene in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cussy

Hi all. I saw a kids cartoon movie about 5 years ago on one of the irish channels. It was about a young duck or goose or something like that, who got lost and couldn't fly south with his parents and flock. So he battled out the winter with his friend moley ( a mole!!) and some others. I think the duck's name was sean. Please help, it is driving me bonkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Moved from Helpdesk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I have a scene in my head in which the final lines of Walter Scott's poem My Native Land are uttered.

The end of the poem goes like this:

The wretch, concentred all in self,
    Living, shall forfeit fair renown,
    And, doubly dying, shall go down
    To the vile dust, from whence he sprung,
    Unwept, unhonour'd, and unsung.

And then the person (actor/actress) says ''Sir Walter Scott'', referencing who wrote the poem.

Anyone have any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Graceland

It's called "The first snow of winter" :)

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    The wretch, concentred all in self,
    Living, shall forfeit fair renown,
    And, doubly dying, shall go down
    To the vile dust, from whence he sprung,
    Unwept, unhonour'd, and unsung.

Groundhog Day

5 minutes in ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Groundhog Day

5 minutes in ..

Thanks, been asking on IMDB for days and nobody could tell me, was beginning to irritate me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cussy

Thank you so much. Just ordered it from Amazon. Can sleep easy now!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Zoton

Trying to find a movie i saw as a kid in the 80's on tv, so it was probably made early 80's. It's a sci-fi movie. And has a group of people in a spacecraft and they end up with some kid (possibly from earth). I think they all get killed as the movie progresses. At the end the kid is piloting the ship using some sort of trackball mouse (ball about the size of a tennis ball) while the last adult lies dying in a chair.
    It's been driving me nuts for years. It's definitely not The Last Starfighter though.
    Help!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Zoton wrote: »
    Trying to find a movie i saw as a kid in the 80's on tv, so it was probably made early 80's. It's a sci-fi movie. And has a group of people in a spacecraft and they end up with some kid (possibly from earth). I think they all get killed as the movie progresses. At the end the kid is piloting the ship using some sort of trackball mouse (ball about the size of a tennis ball) while the last adult lies dying in a chair.
    It's been driving me nuts for years. It's definitely not The Last Starfighter though.
    Help!

At first I was thinking Battle Beyond the Stars... but it turns out this sounds a lot like Space Raiders which Battle Beyond the Stars recycled a lot of it's model shots and score from.

Never actually seen it, but it seems to match your description.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Zoton

That's the one! Thanks a million:D

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

Afternoon all,

This is going to be a tough one but I really need to find the answer for research purposes. I'm looking for a dreadful Irish movie from the 80's (I think). It's about a woman (with red hair I think) who is trapped in an abusive relationship. She goes on the run. I'm pretty sure she has kids so she takes them with her (maybe it's just one kid) but realises she cannot provide for them as she wanders around Dublin city Centre at night so she drops them off somewhere and then goes on a road trip with some guy in a car.

This is all the information I have. I didn't watch the rest. It's pure 80's, B-movie standard with dodgy haircuts and clothes. Can't find any info online with what I have.

• Advertisement

Afternoon all,

This is going to be a tough one but I really need to find the answer for research purposes. I'm looking for a dreadful Irish movie from the 80's (I think). It's about a woman (with red hair I think) who is trapped in an abusive relationship. She goes on the run. I'm pretty sure she has kids so she takes them with her (maybe it's just one kid) but realises she cannot provide for them as she wanders around Dublin city Centre at night so she drops them off somewhere and then goes on a road trip with some guy in a car.

This is all the information I have. I didn't watch the rest. It's pure 80's, B-movie standard with dodgy haircuts and clothes. Can't find any info online with what I have.

It's a cracking little film called Joyriders.

http://www.tcd.ie/irishfilm/showfilm.php?fid=57624

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Okay, one to throw at you. It popped into my head earlier.

Unsure of the age of the film itself but I saw it on TV when around mid - late 90's. It followed a group of young American (Maybe south American) teens and a portion of their lives.

Seemed to be centered around the issue of sex, teenage pregnancy and STD's.

I remember one of the guy's was called "Telly" (or maybe "Teddy" ?).
    I also remember one of the chars trying to get one of the girls (a virgin) to sleep with him, while he does this one of the other girls he slept with finds out she's caught some STD from him and goes to find him. She walks in while he's with the other girl.

Film was a drama of some description.

Thats all I can remember from it, sorry for the vague details but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

That's 'Kids'

c - 13 wrote: »
    Okay, one to throw at you. It popped into my head earlier.

Unsure of the age of the film itself but I saw it on TV when around mid - late 90's. It followed a group of young American (Maybe south American) teens and a portion of their lives.

Seemed to be centered around the issue of sex, teenage pregnancy and STD's.

I remember one of the guy's was called "Telly" (or maybe "Teddy" ?).
    I also remember one of the chars trying to get one of the girls (a virgin) to sleep with him, while he does this one of the other girls he slept with finds out she's caught some STD from him and goes to find him. She walks in while he's with the other girl.

Film was a drama of some description.

Thats all I can remember from it, sorry for the vague details but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

That's 'Kids'

Ohhh, just beat me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

This is one that's been wrecking my head for years - I ask every movie buff I know but nobody's been able to answer so far.
    I saw it on TV back in the 1980s and I think the film was probably much older - maybe '50s or '60s. As far as I can remember it was in black and white.

The storyline is the old "car breaks down in an isolated area on a dark and stormy night" routine. The male driver goes to the only nearby dwelling to seek help/shelter. Living in the house are three elderly gentlemen. They don't have a phone (or maybe the line is down because of the storm) so there's nothing they can do except offer the driver shelter until the storm is over.

One is a retired judge and another a retired barrister, so to pass the time they propose playing a game with the driver: a mock trial. He agrees, and they first ask him to suggest an offence for which he'd like to be tried (something minor like a traffic offence), but he says he's never done anything wrong and can't think of anything for which he could be prosecuted. The gentlemen proceed with the driver in the 'dock' anyway (they're all just in the sitting room), with the retired barrister asking general questions about the driver's past actions which then become more specific as the barrister comes across events which could be misconstrued and for which the 'defendant' doesn't have a proper alibi. They end up turning it into a murder trial, and the retired judge finds him guilty. The driver still thinks it's all been a bit of fun, until the third elderly gentleman turns out to be a retired hangman who thinks the game's not quite finished yet. Just after the retired hangman's occupation has been revealed, the film ends so you're left in suspense as to the actual outcome.

The whole thing is set in a single room (castle/stately home type sitting room) so I suspect it might originally have been a play that was filmed.

It would be fantastic if someone could give me a name for this: As I said, it's been bugging me for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,756 ✭✭✭✭Basq

radia wrote: »
    This is one that's been wrecking my head for years - I ask every movie buff I know but nobody's been able to answer so far.
    I saw it on TV back in the 1980s and I think the film was probably much older - maybe '50s or '60s. As far as I can remember it was in black and white.

The storyline is the old "car breaks down in an isolated area on a dark and stormy night" routine. The male driver goes to the only nearby dwelling to seek help/shelter. Living in the house are three elderly gentlemen. They don't have a phone (or maybe the line is down because of the storm) so there's nothing they can do except offer the driver shelter until the storm is over.

One is a retired judge and another a retired barrister, so to pass the time they propose playing a game with the driver: a mock trial. He agrees, and they first ask him to suggest an offence for which he'd like to be tried (something minor like a traffic offence), but he says he's never done anything wrong and can't think of anything for which he could be prosecuted. The gentlemen proceed with the driver in the 'dock' anyway (they're all just in the sitting room), with the retired barrister asking general questions about the driver's past actions which then become more specific as the barrister comes across events which could be misconstrued and for which the 'defendant' doesn't have a proper alibi. They end up turning it into a murder trial, and the retired judge finds him guilty. The driver still thinks it's all been a bit of fun, until the third elderly gentleman turns out to be a retired hangman who thinks the game's not quite finished yet. Just after the retired hangman's occupation has been revealed, the film ends so you're left in suspense as to the actual outcome.

The whole thing is set in a single room (castle/stately home type sitting room) so I suspect it might originally have been a play that was filmed.

It would be fantastic if someone could give me a name for this: As I said, it's been bugging me for years!
    Sounds like 'Nothing But Trouble' radia? But that's from the early 90's (and in colour).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

radia wrote: »

Is it La più bella serata della mia vita? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069094/
    Based on a play Die Panne

• Registered Users Posts: 43,756 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Is it La più bella serata della mia vita? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069094/
    Based on a play Die Panne
    Good catch!

That definitely sounds like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

That's 'Kids'
    OutlawPete wrote: »
    Video

Thats it lads thanks. Doubt I would have ever located it with such a vague title.

Advertisement