Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

smurgen wrote: »
    They won’t in the slightest. The virus caught the public off guard and the indo and rte again sought to galvanise national unity in a cynical sense. However now the initial shock is over I can see people starting to ask questions and it’s become abundant that FG are using it in a power grab. Watch people get angry and watch the likes of the Spindo desperately trying to manage the optics around it all.

How can they do a power grab? We just had an election and the government will be formed based on the parties that can agree or we go to another election

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Runaways wrote: »
    Says blanch with over 100,000 posts on this forum all rabidly gnawing at the very mention of Sinn Fein

Laughable.

Ps you need to look up the most recent election results chuck x

You might take your own advice. How is FG less popular than the social Democrats, Labour, the greens or Pbp based on the election results?

Says blanch with over 100,000 posts on this forum all rabidly gnawing at the very mention of Sinn Fein

Laughable.

Some poster just keep the same account

Some posters get found out and rereg a lot of the time

It look like Blanch is not one the hides behind rereg

Also, FG miles in front of a lot of parties

• Registered Users Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Laughable.

I didn’t have to, off the top of my head I could think of five or six parties less popular than FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

blanch152 wrote: »
    I didn’t have to, off the top of my head I could think of five or six parties less popular than FG.

No facts hold no sway here

I was taking to a man who told me Fine Gael are the worst, so they must be and no amount of polls or data will prove otherwise

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    How can they do a power grab? We just had an election and the government will be formed based on the parties that can agree or we go to another election

It's just another meaningless phrase being injected into public discourse in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Mad part is. We can only get out of this together. The two ‘main parties’ have made a policy of dividing everything into us and them, it’s started with the crash.
    Well maybe even before. Bertie and his SSIA fantasy which the entire country fell for. People buying holiday homes in turkey and building extensions and buying second homes. And the payout day just happened to be coincidentally the day of an election. In which Bertie got re-elected.
    In a surprise to absolutely nobody.

So this rot set in then and we’re living very bizarrely under the leadership such as it is, of a Thatcherite fanboy and his cronies out to kill him.

This is almost Rome. Leo is despised within his own party.

We could so easily be the best place in the world to live. We’re a decent loving welcoming and educated people. Ireland is ****ing brilliant. And it should be for all.
    But we’re being infected on all sides top down by Neo liberalism. We’re corporate rent boys and the very ****ing worst elements like o Doherty and barrett whipping up racism into the bargain.

We’re a lot of things and have our problems but we’re allowing all this happen now and it shouldn’t be allowed.
    ‘What’s mine is mine’ is alien to me about my country and Irish people in general. but we’re in that space now. somehow.

I don’t know where we’ll end up. Sad reading the ‘**** poor people! scroungers’ attitudes in this very thread and many others on here.
    Main reason I think you’re all bots or probably just from different backgrounds is that make you feel you have a right to post and talk like that.

You are no better than Anyone. Sadly this virus will teach you that and soon.

Just be cool. Nobody’s out to get you. Sinn Fein arent out to blow up your house. Fine Gael might turn a blind eye to your house being repossessed. But hey.
    What did your man say?
    We are where we are
    Just be sound as you can be.no need to be such never ending assholes to your own people.
    Be sound.
    Go neirí an tadh libh go léir

Slan

I have sleepless nights wondering who davey cc is.

I hope he’s out there having the best time.

It’s ****ing Bowie. It has to be at this stage

We could so easily be the best place in the world to live. We’re a decent loving welcoming and educated people. Ireland is ****ing brilliant. And it should be for all.
    But we’re being infected on all sides top down by Neo liberalism. We’re corporate rent boys and the very ****ing worst elements like o Doherty and barrett whipping up racism into the bargain.

Man, this is a great place to live. We have genuine social cohesion. We have a great standard of living. I see the transformation in Ireland playing out in my own hometown, Limerick. I remember when the entire region was semi-derelict.

Now there's really high end jobs in places like Dell and Regeneron where graduates from LIT and UL can get really well paying jobs. I can remember before UL, when everyone with real ambition had to leave the region at 18, when there was no jobs.

Yes we have issues, big issues, somewhat intractable issues but we are solving them, but these are deep issues. They resist easy solution. They cannot be solved in 1 year, or 5 years even. We are talking about generational problems.

Man, this is a great place to live. We have genuine social cohesion. We have a great standard of living. I see the transformation in Ireland playing out in my own hometown, Limerick. I remember when the entire region was semi-derelict.

Now there's really high end jobs in places like Dell and Regeneron where graduates from LIT and UL can get really well paying jobs. I can remember before UL, when everyone with real ambition had to leave the region at 18, when there was no jobs.

Yes we have issues, big issues, somewhat intractable issues but we are solving them, but these are deep issues. They resist easy solution. They cannot be solved in 1 year, or 5 years even. We are talking about generational problems.

Limerick has mountains of potential. And there’s sound people there trying to make it happen. Give it time. It’ll work. Heard McWilliams (I think?) saying Ireland is only a few decisions away from becoming a brilliant society. (Not economy but he meant that too) and hopefully this is the tipping point. Health & housing are not unfixable. It can be done. Sort those out and we’re away to the races.
    Yeah the two bottles of wine haven’t worn off :)

Happy mornin all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

Not for the first, and definitely not for the last, McDonald just doesn't get it......

.....no one is keeping her or SF out of power or government - it's up to them to wrangle the votes, and if people regard them as so toxic that they don't want to coalesce with, or otherwise support them then the fault lies with SF......but as usual with them it's always somebody else's fault.

Mary Lou McDonald: This crisis shows that Sinn Féin was right

.....as an aside, you'd also have to question the wisdom around the timing of this piece, is it really the time for such politicking?

^^^

Not for the first and certainly not the last SF show exactly why they shouldn't be in power.

It is like they are reading forums like this, making a point of saying which parties they are talking with :-) SF media team maybe are on this thread. Still difference is talking and any of those parties saying they are willing to work with them

I would also question why SF try to negotiate using the press? they done the same in NI and made a complete f**k up and now trying to do the same. If they haven't worked it out already FF and FG are not going to come running to the table just because Mary Lou was shouting in the press, the exact opposite.

Instead of writing stupid bits for IT maybe she would have been better putting a call or asking for a meeting with the parties??

She should know, the more captive audience for SF is in The Sun and The Mirror, not the IT :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

Can some Shinner explain to me why on every article mentioning government formation I see the following comments:

1) We voted for change this is not the change the public want.

2) FFG using this crisis as a power grab

3) But but but MM and LV got elected on lower counts....

Why do ye not understand that in the majority of elections in this country since the foundation of the state a party with 24% of the vote has gone into opposition quietly. In 1973 for example FF got 46% of the vote and went into opposition while FG and Labour formed a government. Neither FF or Labour spoke to FF about government formation.

So why in 2020 do ye think the rules have changed ?

Not for the first, and definitely not for the last, McDonald just doesn't get it......

.....no one is keeping her or SF out of power or government - it's up to them to wrangle the votes, and if people regard them as so toxic that they don't want to coalesce with, or otherwise support them then the fault lies with SF......but as usual with them it's always somebody else's fault.

Mary Lou McDonald: This crisis shows that Sinn Féin was right

.....as an aside, you'd also have to question the wisdom around the timing of this piece, is it really the time for such politicking?

Surprised nobody’s wondered why she just hasn’t had tds threatened to get in with them or else.

piplip87 wrote: »
    Can some Shinner explain to me why on every article mentioning government formation I see the following comments:

Why do ye not understand that in the majority of elections in this country since the foundation of the state a party with 24% of the vote has gone into opposition quietly. In 1973 for example FF got 46% of the vote and went into opposition while FG and Labour formed a government. Neither FF or Labour spoke to FF about government formation.

Tbh I think FG and SF should hold their noses and go in together. They’d temper each other and balance things out.
    I know Mary lou has contacted Leo several times she’s said as much numerous times in interviews and the only reply she got was a snotty piece by Leo attacking her personally in one of the papers.

This isn’t leadership. He’s dragging us all along with his petulant childish nonsense

Tbh I think FG and SF should hold their noses and go in together. They’d temper each other and balance things out.
    I know Mary lou has contacted Leo several times she’s said as much numerous times in interviews and the only reply she got was a snotty pieve by Leo attacking her personally in one of the papers.

This isn’t leadership. He’s dragging us all along with his petulant childish nonsense

Why though why should SF and FG enter government ? What would the program for government look like ? They are so far apart on key issues it wouldn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

piplip87 wrote: »

They haven’t yet grasped how democracy works. They see ‘power sharing’ up north and it confuses them.

The government party got the lowest vote Share and currently trying to subvert democracy to ignore the result.

So if you support them don’t even start preaching about democracy

The government party got the lowest vote Share and currently trying to subvert democracy to ignore the result.

Show us where anything FG have done to date since the election is unconstitutional, mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭threeball

I know Mary lou has contacted Leo several times she’s said as much numerous times in interviews and the only reply she got was a snotty piece by Leo attacking her personally in one of the papers.

So you think the two most idealogically separated parties in the state should go in to government together because somehow it will "balance" is a good idea?

Thankfully SF won't get next nor near the place when this is the best ye can come up with. A few weeks ago she wanted nothing to do with FG. Now she is contacting them to see if they'll give her a leg up to be Taoiseach.

At least FG have been consistent from the get go. Its petualant children that change their mind when they're not getting what they want.

• Advertisement

No it's Sinn Fein who have not grasped how our democracy works. As I said in my previous post it has happened before that the largest party in the Dail have been left out of government formation.

I suppose it was bound to happen when a party who still does not fully recognise that state doesn't know how it works.

How do we know Mary Lou is telling the truth?

It's like anyone can actually thrust SF, just look at the rabble she has hanging around with her. Has she actually tried to contact FG or FF? or has she tried to negotiate via the press?

I think we should consider option 2 is more likely as this is the standard tactic used by SF.

It's like anyone can actually thrust SF, just look at the rabble she has hanging around with her. Has she actually tried to contact FG or FF? or has she tried to negotiate via the press?

I think we should consider option 2 is more likely as this is the standard tactic used by SF.

Maybe she forgot to put a stamp on her letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭threeball

Do you even know how democracy works? 75% of people didn't vote Sinn Féin. Two parties that have almost double the seats between them that SF got are negociating to form a government which will likely be in the next two weeks. That is democracy. If you want FPTP move to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,843 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

How do we know any of them are telling the truth?

:P

They all have government email account, is she is so desperate to contact FG just send them an email

threeball wrote: »
    So you think the two most idealogically separated parties in the state should go in to government together because somehow it will "balance" is a good idea?

Thankfully SF won't get next nor near the place when this is the best ye can come up with. A few weeks ago she wanted nothing to do with FG. Now she is contacting them to see if they'll give her a leg up to be Taoiseach.

At least FG have been consistent from the get go. Its petualant children that change their mind when they're not getting what they want.

She contacted him after the election. She was on Newstalk a day or two after the result. So Not recently.

She said she had texted him also.
    Thought the office of Taoiseach was obliged to respond to any correspondence.

Did I imagine that?

• Advertisement

How do we know any of them are telling the truth?

Do I see FF or FG in the press daily about forming the government or blocking SF?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement