Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drain oil or pump out?

Options
  • 29-03-2020 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

So thinking about changing the oil

is it best to drain out the sump plug or pump the oil out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

In my own personal opinion it's better to drain as you get most out that way.
    Having said that, many people in The huge thread on oil extractor pumps think it's perfectly adequate to pump out, which is probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

tech wrote: »

Your more likely to get swarf and sediment etc out by draining. Simple law of physics really... when you vacuum the heavier stuff will tend to sit at the bottom.
    Personally I do it every other service.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Imagine being so fcuking clueless that you put *oo much oil into the 2017 car because thedisplay on the dashboard said "0% oil" ….

:(:(:(

*disclaimer - im not totally sure that's whats wrong with the car....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Your more likely to get swarf and sediment etc out by draining. Simple law of physics really... when you vacuum the heavier stuff will tend to sit at the bottom.

Used one of those electric "Lidl" ones for 10 years on relations diesel Golf which did a huge mileage with no problems mainly because I couldn't remove the sump plug without dropping the engine apron. I have a inclined (upwards from house) driveway and would drive the car in as the dipstick tube went to the front of the sump so there was practically no "old" oil left when the pump lost suction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

tech wrote: »

First service? Drain,I drain every 3 rd service,use vac pump ( sealey) in between

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

I drain every second service to check if any sediment.

When I used the oil vacuum the first time I removed the sump plug afterwards when finished to check if it had removed all the oil.
    It diid - there was only a tiny dribble of oil left in the sump....practically nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I always used to drain via the plug, however I bought one of the Lidl peristaltic oil pumps recently for a lawnmower and to drain a power steering reservoir and decided to use it while pressed for time and weather.
    I did it with the engine hot straight after a run and it performed remarkably well, I would say it got the majority of the oil out and even managed to suck the old oil from the almost vertical oil filter housing.
    I think they are a great labour saving device and the oil change time is greatly reduced as is the potential for messy accidents.
    That said I would still like to drain via a Fumoto valve every few changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sump plugs are such a primitive design when you think about it.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Sump plugs are such a primitive design when you think about it.

Modern VW stuff is pretty much designed around non plug draining.
    Thats why there is so many problems with sump plugs on Skoda and others with lightweight alloy sumps and thread issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

I would be hoping the filter would any swarf out.

I as always drain via sump plug. You onow its fully empty when you do.
    I tried vacuuming it out on s couple of occasions and took off the sump stud after only to get a half litre more out each time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Different engines have different design.
    For some engines an extractor won't get to the very bottom of the sump.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭teediddlyeye

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Modern VW stuff is pretty much designed around non plug draining.
    Thats why there is so many problems with sump plugs on Skoda and others with lightweight alloy sumps and thread issues.

On the service sheets we print out in work, it says to drain only do not extract. Older stuff used to say drain/extract.

I'd always drain through the sump.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'll need to do a service on my boats Volvo Penta diesel engine when this all blows over! and the only method to remove oil is to pump it out, which I've never done before!!
    I believe you go in through the dipstick hole.

18hp of mechanical masterpiece

motor-intraborda-volvo-penta-2002-33436030101654544867564952534557x.jpg

on my 3 series 320d, I put it up on ramps, and drain it.

On the service sheets we print out in work, it says to drain only do not extract. Older stuff used to say drain/extract.

I'd always drain through the sump.

Why, then, don't some manufacturers give you access to the drain plug via a cut out in the apron.?

John.G wrote: »
    Why, then, don't some manufacturers give you access to the drain plug via a cut out in the apron.?

Because that would make it too easy 😆

Although more likely as you'd have to take it down anyway on a lot of cars to change the filter .

Because that would make it too easy ��

Although more likely as you'd have to take it down anyway on a lot of cars to change the filter .

For years VW used a cartridge type filter (that I never liked) which was very easy to remove as it was vertical but (at least) on the new Polo now has gone back to the traditional canister type located at the front of the engine and looks as if it can be removed without dropping the apron.

For years VW used a cartridge type filter (that I never liked) which was very easy to remove as it was vertical but (at least) on the new Polo now has gone back to the traditional canister type located at the front of the engine and looks as if it can be removed without dropping the apron.

You could take it off alright but would make a big mess! All Diesels now need the cover dropped to get the filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

The pumps are handy for a quickie if the oil is warm. But when you use the drain plug you're guaranteed to get all of the oil out and you can see if there's any dreaded metal fragments stuck to it.

You could take it off alright but would make a big mess! All Diesels now need the cover dropped to get the filter.

There seems to be adequate room to place a shallow dish under it to catch its contents.

The Honda N22 have almost vertical oil filter housings at the front of the engine, couldn't be easier servicing them.
    If you don't drain via sump its a 15 min job for oil and filter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭newmember2

They do, I had a 1 series that had a removable flap in the undertray.

9935452 wrote: »
    I would be hoping the filter would any swarf out.

I as always drain via sump plug. You onow its fully empty when you do.
    I tried vacuuming it out on s couple of occasions and took off the sump stud after only to get a half litre more out each time

Surprising,was the car on level ground when u used the vac pump?I'm using mine for years and I vac pump 2/3 changes,on tbe 3rd I vac pump,take off filter and let it dribble,never got more than a small half cupful

Depends on the engine. I tested it before on a car I had and the extractor took out more oil than draining (car level in both cases) but I doubt that’s true in all cases. I’d look up some specific forums for your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Surprising,was the car on level ground when u used the vac pump?I'm using mine for years and I vac pump 2/3 changes,on tbe 3rd I vac pump,take off filter and let it dribble,never got more than a small half cupful

If your going to crack the sump nut at all it is best to let it all out that way - the higher flow is more likely to carry out any metal filings than the half cup your leaving behind by using the vac first.

If your going to crack the sump nut at all it is best to let it all out that way - the higher flow is more likely to carry out any metal filings than the half cup your leaving behind by using the vac first.

That's what I do ,fully out, yesterday couldn't crack it at all, rounded the but,so no option but to use my ( excellent sealey vac pump)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Yeah . Always do my oil chabges when the car is level.
    One was a colt that turned out to be burning a pile of oil.
    Went to change the oil for a friend . Only got a tiny bit out of it using 2 different vac pumps.
    Opened the sump stud and a cupful more came out.

As biiko says as well. Different engines will have different designs where it isnt possible to get to the bottom of the sump through the dipstick

Went to change the oil for a friend . Only got a tiny bit out of it using 2 different vac pumps.

As biiko says as well. Different engines will have different designs where it isnt possible to get to the bottom of the sump through the dipstick

Say you're right

Say you're right

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement